RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Tube equipment question (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170529-tube-equipment-question.html)

Mike Coslo March 4th 07 05:48 PM

Tube equipment question

Solid state transmitters are notoriously finicky about matching to the
antenna. Tube equipment is not, so I am told, and early experience seems
to bear that out.

Certainly I can see one of my newer rigs start to fold back at 2:1.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

Is it safe to compare the load, plate, and drive controls to some of the
functions of a tuner? (possible real dumb question)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] March 4th 07 07:48 PM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 9:48?am, Mike Coslo wrote:
Solid state transmitters are notoriously finicky about matching to the
antenna. Tube equipment is not, so I am told, and early experience seems
to bear that out.

I disagree some with that, having entered HF radio comms
QSYing 1- to 15-KW transmitters. Failure to properly
neutralize a final RF amp can result in heating sufficient
to melt the glass envelope enough to let air in and thus
destroy the tube (an 833 that was mounted on the control
console at Army station ADA for weeks as a reminder).

Certainly I can see one of my newer rigs start to fold back at 2:1.

That's a somewhat arbitrary level that is designed into
most solid-state PAs. One can run them without the
VSWR sensing but it isn't a good idea.

For one thing, RF power transistors are expensive and
replacement is not the relatively easy task of just
unplugging the old tube and plugging in the new one.
It's a mechanical task and one has to remember to
properly heat-couple the new PA transistor...the amount
of waste heat is concentrated in a much smaller space
than big tube envelopes-bases.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

That's in many decades of old literature and covered
extensively. Data from commercial service transmitters
is more comprehensive than amateur types as a
general rule. Some of that may be hard to get now.

Is it safe to compare the load, plate, and drive controls to some of the
functions of a tuner? (possible real dumb question)

Not dumb, it's more like comparing potatoes and peas.

The long-common tube tuning controls are directly
connected to variable, relatively narrow-band tuning
and impedance-matching passive circuits. The tube
plate source impedance is relatively high compared
to the antenna feedline, even if that feedline is 600
Ohms balanced. The common pi-network is both
a resonating network and an impedance-changing
circuit.

An antenna tuner is very simlar to a tube pi-network
but operates either to change (narrowband) impedances
up or down relative to the feedline characteristic
impedance. Again, passive components do the work
of transformation.

By contrast, most of the solid-state power amplifiers
are broadband, much more so than common tube
circuits. Since their input-output impedances are
relatively low and known (and predictable) over a wide
frequency range, they can use broadband transformers
for matching. The end result in the design is one
without many of the tube controls' necessity.

Usually, but not always, either type of amplifier is
still suceptible to damage from mismatching load
impedances. The mismatching just takes on a
slightly different form between the two.

73,

Remember: All electronics works by smoke. If the smoke
gets out, it won't work... :-)

[email protected] March 4th 07 08:53 PM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 12:48?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
Solid state transmitters are notoriously finicky about matching to the
antenna. Tube equipment is not, so I am told, and early experience seems
to bear that out.

IMHO, it's really a matter of the actual circumstances. As far
back as the late 1950s there were hollow-state ham rigs made
that were meant for 50 ohm loads only. In fact, there
were some HF tube ham rigs made that required no conventional tuneup
at all (CE 100V, 200V, 600L).

Certainly I can see one of my newer rigs start to fold back at 2:1.

Most hollow-state ham rigs can handle 2:1 SWR no problem.
Sometimes there is less tolerance for loads that are highly
reactive, though.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

It's really a matter of how the rig was designed.

Many 1950s hollow-state ham rigs were built with pi-networks that
could match a wide variety of loads efficiently. The EF Johnson Viking
2 is a classic example of that type. Many
homebrew designs also had such pi-networks.

The problem is that the components for such a wide-range network tend
to be large, heavy and expensive. So in the late 1950s and early
1960s, rigmakers designed more for compactness than for wide matching
range. Still, the typical
ham rig of those days could usually handle SWR of 2:1 or
less with no problems.

Is it safe to compare the load, plate, and drive controls to some of the
functions of a tuner? (possible real dumb question)

Not a dumb question at all IMHO.

The short answer is "no". Tuning up a hollowstate
ham rig is a similar but not identical to adjusting the
typical tuner.

Some may tell you that all it takes to tune up a tube
transmitter is to "peak the grid and dip the plate", but
that's simply not correct. Tuneup procedures vary
according to rig design and you have to be specific.

Of course once you get the hang of it, the procedure
rapidly becomes second nature.

What specific hollowstate rigs are you considering?

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 4th 07 08:53 PM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 5:48 pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
Solid state transmitters are notoriously finicky about matching to the
antenna. Tube equipment is not, so I am told, and early experience seems
to bear that out.

I don't know if "finicky" is a good term, Mike. "Different" might be
the best word to use. Transmitters with vacuum tube finals can match
a wider range as a rule, but there is a limit to what they can
handle. Some of the older Johnson and Globe/WRL rigs matched a wider
range than some of the other brands.

Certainly I can see one of my newer rigs start to fold back at 2:1.

Most Japanese gear is designed to do just what you're experiencing.
That's a form of protection for the final transistors. Ten-Tec does
it differently. Ten-Tec rigs do not start to reduce power. They
depend upon the supply to fault and trip if too much current is
drawn. That's why it is important to use a Ten-Tec supply with them
or to use a fast breaker rated to trip near the maximum current draw
expected of the transmitter.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

That depends entirely upon the design specifications set by the
manufacturer.
If the manufacturer's manual says "45-90 ohms", that's the practical
limitation.
Some of those old Globe transmitters used to have ranges of up to 1000
or 2000 ohms as I recall. At the other end of the spectrum,
Hallicrafters produced some transmitters without even a loading
control. These were designed to be used with an antenna presenting
something very close to 50 or 75 ohms.

Is it safe to compare the load, plate, and drive controls to some of the
functions of a tuner? (possible real dumb question)

Not the "drive" control, but certainly the other controls of a tuner
could be considered comparable to the "tune" and "load" controls.

If the only antennas we have are trapped verticals, tribanders or
dipoles/inverted vees cut for the band to be used, we might get away
with not having to use a tuner at all. Still there are likely to be
frequencies significantly removed from the antenna's resonant
frequency where one might need a tuner to enable the transmitter to
make full power. We aren't likely to need a wide range tuner for
those times. A simple T-match will likely enable us to find a
combination of settings which will present a low VSWR to the
transmitter. The main alternative is to have a variety of antennas
which present a VSWR of under 2:1 to a transmitter.

Dave K8MN

John Smith I March 4th 07 08:54 PM

Tube equipment question

Mike Coslo wrote:
Solid state transmitters are notoriously finicky about matching to the
antenna. Tube equipment is not, so I am told, and early experience seems
to bear that out.

Certainly I can see one of my newer rigs start to fold back at 2:1.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

Is it safe to compare the load, plate, and drive controls to some of the
functions of a tuner? (possible real dumb question)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Most quality built amps will cover 2-30mhz, they only need the proper
filters behind 'em to keep 'em clean, and of course, you exciter needs
to put out a clean sig.

Motorola has a great circuit using four 250W transistors to get you a
kilo. It can be found on the web.

There are scores of tech papers by motorola on 100W to 1K and beyond
amps, a little research on the web should discover them.

JS
--
http://assemblywizard.tekcities.com

[email protected] March 4th 07 11:21 PM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 12:53?pm, wrote:
On Mar 4, 12:48?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:

Some may tell you that all it takes to tune up a tube
transmitter is to "peak the grid and dip the plate", but
that's simply not correct. Tuneup procedures vary
according to rig design and you have to be specific.

Sorry, but that was procedure for pre-WW2 high-
power HF transmitters. While it is a simplistic
phrase, it still applies. A more exact procedure
was to tune up the exciter with reduced drive
power and literally peak the grid current. Plate
current was then observed with the plate tuning
adjusted for a slight, but observable dip in plate
current. Of (perhaps) greater importance was setting
the neutralizing control for minimum grid current;
"dipping" the plate current should produce the least
grid current peak on adjusting the plate tuning.

For best results on setting the load-side capacitor
of the common pi-network without a bidirectional
power meter, a detector way out in the field with
meter next to the transmitter is the simplest way
to "tune" that capacitor. However, with about 34+
other high-power transmitters all in the antenna
field, that is impractical; presets for that control
would suffice. The load capacitor of a pi-net has
the least effect on tuning to a new frequency.

When someone does about two QSYs per shift
on at least 15 different transmitters with pi-network
output circuits (all with vacuum tube PAs), yes,
one "gets used to it" but what I described was the
correct phrase.

The pi-network has been around and used in HF
transmitters since at least the late 1930s and has
survived past the start of the semiconductor era.
However, the convenience of broadband transistor
power amplifiers has pretty much tossed that whole
tube tuning procedure. Used with a Bruene detector
sensor for an automatic antenna tuner, it makes
QSYing a snap, even jumping bands (with a broad-
band antenna, of course).

"Peak the grid and dip the plate" is an old correct
phrase. It will be found mentioned in the current
US amateur radio question pools.

Yes, there are exceptions. I was once involved with
a distributed amplifier design that would cover over
an octave of spectrum using tubes and was NOT
tuned at all in normal operation. Since that one
involved over a dozen vacuum tubes (ceramic-metal
medium-power types), it would not be suitable for
ordinary amateur radio HF transmitter stations. The
vertical amplifier of the old Tektronix 54n series
oscilloscopes used push-pull tube-type (all glass
envelope "receiving" type) distributed vertical deflection
amplifier.

The pi-network output circuit was a favorite among
amateur homebrewers for decades due to its
simplicity and better ability to attenuate harmonics,
that coming to be more and more prominent in
regulations as HF users became more plentiful.

Mike Coslo March 4th 07 11:56 PM

Tube equipment question

" wrote in
ups.com:

Failure to properly
neutralize a final RF amp can result in heating sufficient
to melt the glass envelope enough to let air in and thus
destroy the tube (an 833 that was mounted on the control
console at Army station ADA for weeks as a reminder).

I would also suspect that when dealing with 15 KW transmitters,
errors would be pretty unforgiving.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

That's in many decades of old literature and covered
extensively. Data from commercial service transmitters
is more comprehensive than amateur types as a
general rule. Some of that may be hard to get now.

I'm going to have to try to find some of the literature.

Remember: All electronics works by smoke. If the smoke
gets out, it won't work... :-)

Thanks much Len - I'm digesting the info now. I know it seems a
little strange to become interested in tube equipment at this late stage,
butour hobbies sometimes take us in strange directions. 8^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo March 4th 07 11:57 PM

Tube equipment question

wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

I enjoy twiddling knobs, kind of the same way I like a manual
transmission. 8^)

What specific hollowstate rigs are you considering?

Last year at Dayton I purchased a 40 and 80 meter Heathkit single
Bander as a learning tool - they are pretty simple. I restored the
80 meter unit, and will start on the 40 meter one sometime. I am now
looking at a Kenwood TS-830S. It's a hybrid, with tube finals. I
really like it so far, although I don't see it replacing my IC-761.
I am hooked on computer control of the newer rig - sometimes! Other
times I just like that retro aspect.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo March 5th 07 12:09 AM

Tube equipment question

wrote:

If the only antennas we have are trapped verticals, tribanders or
dipoles/inverted vees cut for the band to be used, we might get away
with not having to use a tuner at all. Still there are likely to be
frequencies significantly removed from the antenna's resonant
frequency where one might need a tuner to enable the transmitter to
make full power. We aren't likely to need a wide range tuner for
those times. A simple T-match will likely enable us to find a
combination of settings which will present a low VSWR to the
transmitter. The main alternative is to have a variety of antennas
which present a VSWR of under 2:1 to a transmitter.

That brings up a related issue. Lots of Hams today are restricted to
one antenna, yet they would like all band operation. I think it would be a
great idea for a manufacturer to have a transciever that included a tuner
right in the rig itself.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Ivor Jones March 5th 07 12:28 AM

Tube equipment question

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6
wrote:

[...]

They do exist, although being primarily interested in VHF/UHF operation
(we only recently had the morse requirement for HF dropped over here in
the UK, but that's another topic..!!) I've had little experience of them.

I do remember vividly using a Drake commercial HF transceiver (I think it
came out of a ship's radio room) back in the late 80's at a special event
station that had this feature, you could operate on any band without any
form of tuning at all, although of course how much power would get out on
a really bad antenna is debatable ;-)

Of course if you've enough money, there are those antennas that tune
themselves. A friend has a 3-element beam that is computer controlled; as
you tune across the bands, the elements automatically adjust themselves to
the correct length..! I don't recall the make/model, but it is of American
origin, does anyone know of it..?

73 Ivor G6URP

Dee Flint March 5th 07 02:09 AM

Tube equipment question

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6
wrote:

[snip]

That brings up a related issue. Lots of Hams today are
restricted to one antenna, yet they would like all band
operation. I think it would be a great idea for a
manufacturer to have a transciever that included a tuner
right in the rig itself.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

They do exist, although being primarily interested in VHF/UHF operation
(we only recently had the morse requirement for HF dropped over here in
the UK, but that's another topic..!!) I've had little experience of them.

My main HF rig and my husband's main HF rig both have built in tuners. Both
work pretty well. However they do not have the range of outboard tuners.

I do remember vividly using a Drake commercial HF transceiver (I think it
came out of a ship's radio room) back in the late 80's at a special event
station that had this feature, you could operate on any band without any
form of tuning at all, although of course how much power would get out on
a really bad antenna is debatable ;-)

A lot of commericial and military equipment have built in tuners with quite
significant tuning ranges. Of course this comes at a price so amateur gear
doesn't have as much range in their tuning capacity on the built in tuners.

Of course if you've enough money, there are those antennas that tune
themselves. A friend has a 3-element beam that is computer controlled; as
you tune across the bands, the elements automatically adjust themselves to
the correct length..! I don't recall the make/model, but it is of American
origin, does anyone know of it..?

73 Ivor G6URP

I think it is called the SteppIR. Too rich for my pocket book.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] March 5th 07 02:10 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 6:57�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote groups.com:

[...]

It's a question of skill vs. automation.

What specific hollowstate rigs are you considering?

* * Last year at Dayton I purchased a 40 and 80 meter Heathkit single
* * Bander as a learning tool - they are pretty simple. I restored the
* * 80 meter unit, and will start on the 40 meter one sometime.

I think you mean the Heath HW-12 and HW-22, or the later
A models of the same rigs.

They are from the early-to-mid 1960s, and have very limited
matching range. They are really only meant to match a 50
ohm load. Note that there isn't even a LOADING control on
them.

The Single Banders were Heath's answer to the "SSB is too
expensive" idea. Every possible simplification and economy
measure was used in them, yet the result is a usable 100 W
class SSB transceiver for one HF ham band. Note that the
75 meter one stops at 3.8 MHz. Heath figured that by
simplifying the output pi network to the most extreme degree,
they could save a few dollars. Coming up with a 50 ohm
antenna was the ham's problem.

I am now
* * looking at a Kenwood TS-830S. It's a hybrid, with tube finals. I
* * really like it so far, although I don't see it replacing my IC-761.

That's a pretty good rig for its era. The matching range is limited
but it will handle 2:1 SWR without problems IMLE.

I am hooked on computer control of the newer rig - sometimes! Other
* * times I just like that retro aspect.

One of the great things about amateur radio today is that we can
use a wide variety of technologies for the same or similar purposes.

I find it ironic that the evolution of the "state of the art" has come
full circle in about a half-century, at least in HF/MF:

- Ham rigs of the 1950s usually had wide range pi-nets which required
adjustment, but would match almost anything without an external
device.
- Ham rigs of the 1960s and 1970s usually had restricted-range
pi-nets which were easier to adjust, but sometimes required an
external matching device.
- Ham rigs of the 1980s and later usually have solid-state finals and
no adjustment - and usually require an external matching device.

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 5th 07 02:10 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 7:09?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:

. Lots of Hams today are restricted to
one antenna, yet they would like all band operation. I think it would be a
great idea for a manufacturer to have a transciever that included a tuner
right in the rig itself.

Many rigs offer that as an option. For example, the Elecraft K2 can be
equipped with the optional KAT2 internal automatic antenna tuner. In
my experience, the KAT2 can match at least a 10:1 SWR, if not more. It
doesn't have
manual adjustments, however - it's a form of autotuner.

The 100 watt version of the K2 can be equipped with the
matching external tuner.

One interesting feature of these autotuners is that they
automatically reduce power to a few watts while the tuning routine is
operating.

I don't know of any solidstate HF ham rig with a *manual*
tuner built-in.

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 5th 07 02:10 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 3:56�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
" wrote roups.com:

* *Failure to properly
* *neutralize a final RF amp can result in heating sufficient
* *to melt the glass envelope enough to let air in and thus
* *destroy the tube (an 833 that was mounted on the control
* *console at Army station ADA for weeks as a reminder).

* * * * I would also suspect that when dealing with 15 KW transmitters,
errors would be pretty unforgiving.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

* *That's in many decades of old literature and covered
* *extensively. *Data from commercial service transmitters
* *is more comprehensive than amateur types as a
* *general rule. *Some of that may be hard to get now.

* * * * I'm going to have to try to find some of the literature.

Besides old ARRL Handbooks prior to the 1970s, I'd suggest
finding the site that has digitized copies of GE Ham News.
Those were (bi-monthly?) hand-outs by GE to push their
tubes (naturally) but they contained lots of different ham
projects (using tubes, of course).

I found such a site a few years ago but didn't bookmark it.
Was incomplete then but being worked on. The 1960s
was a good peiod for new designs in USA amateur radio.
I used to grab my boss' copies as soon as he was done
with them back then. :-)

73, Len

[email protected] March 5th 07 02:11 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 4:09�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:

* * * * That brings up a related issue. Lots of Hams today are restricted to
one antenna, yet they would like all band operation. I think it would be a
great idea for a manufacturer to have a transciever that included a tuner
right in the rig itself.

IF and only IF they appear on some modern-day surplus
market, look carefully at an AN/PRC-104. That is a manpack
HF radio with an extra box on the side for an automatic
tuner for the whip antenna. It's been in military service
(land forces) for about 20 years now and several companies
are trying to get in with new replacements for it...Harris for
one (if I remember the military news).

Neat little thing, frequency-synthesized, SSB, can be keyed.
Designed and manufactured by Hughes Aircraft Ground
Systems. QRP of course but the military used the same
R/T for higher-power vehicular and fixed HF sets (higher
power antenna tuners, too, in those). All solid-state,
of course. I have the TM on it in PDF in case you were
really interested in that...:-)

73, Len

Mike Coslo March 5th 07 03:23 AM

Tube equipment question

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

My main HF rig and my husband's main HF rig both have built in tuners.
Both work pretty well. However they do not have the range of
outboard tuners.

I should have noted large range and balanced/unbalanced output. My
IC-761 has an autotuner on it that works pretty well with my vertical
antenna. The dipole is run with balanced line, and needs a different
tuner.

A lot of commericial and military equipment have built in tuners with
quite significant tuning ranges. Of course this comes at a price so
amateur gear doesn't have as much range in their tuning capacity on
the built in tuners.

Size can be an issue too. The IC 761's tuner is a pretty tiny
thing. I had to take an IC 765's autotuner 9 (very similar) apart once to
repair it, and it was around the size of one of the mfj tiny tuners.

A little bigger components, plus a 4:1 balun, and they would have
it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo March 5th 07 03:26 AM

Tube equipment question

wrote in
oups.com:
Some may tell you that all it takes to tune up a tube
transmitter is to "peak the grid and dip the plate", but
that's simply not correct. Tuneup procedures vary
according to rig design and you have to be specific.
Of course once you get the hang of it, the procedure
rapidly becomes second nature.

I enjoy twiddling knobs, kind of the same way I like a manual
transmission. 8^)

It's a question of skill vs. automation.

I've always wanted to know just what was going on in what I was
operating. I at least like the option betwen automatic operation and
manual. Skills can never hurt.

What specific hollowstate rigs are you considering?

* * Last year at Dayton I purchased a 40 and 80 meter Heathkit single
* * Bander as a learning tool - they are pretty simple. I restored
the * * 80 meter unit, and will start on the 40 meter one sometime.

I think you mean the Heath HW-12 and HW-22, or the later
A models of the same rigs.

They are from the early-to-mid 1960s, and have very limited
matching range. They are really only meant to match a 50
ohm load. Note that there isn't even a LOADING control on
them.

That would be the units with one exception. More on that later..

The Single Banders were Heath's answer to the "SSB is too
expensive" idea. Every possible simplification and economy
measure was used in them, yet the result is a usable 100 W
class SSB transceiver for one HF ham band.

The simplicity was what attracted me to them. No filters, nonotch,
no pbt, no RIT, no - well you get it.

Note that the
75 meter one stops at 3.8 MHz. Heath figured that by
simplifying the output pi network to the most extreme degree,
they could save a few dollars. Coming up with a 50 ohm
antenna was the ham's problem.

The 75 meter rig I have tunes to 4 MHz. It's also a HW22a, probably a
later mod. But all that simplicity is a good thing for a lad raised
mostly on integrated circuits! 8^)

I am now
* * looking at a Kenwood TS-830S. It's a hybrid, with tube finals. I
* * really like it so far, although I don't see it replacing my
IC-761.

That's a pretty good rig for its era. The matching range is limited
but it will handle 2:1 SWR without problems IMLE.

I have been pretty impressed so far. The receiver seems pretty hot,
certainly the sound is *good*. I'm listening to it right now, and it is
simply very legible. Tuning is only one speed, and a tad fast. Seems
strange just having SSB and CW, but overall I think I'll keep it.

I am hooked on computer control of the newer rig - sometimes!
Other times I just like that retro aspect.

One of the great things about amateur radio today is that we can
use a wide variety of technologies for the same or similar purposes.

I find it ironic that the evolution of the "state of the art" has come
full circle in about a half-century, at least in HF/MF:

- Ham rigs of the 1950s usually had wide range pi-nets which required
adjustment, but would match almost anything without an external
device.
- Ham rigs of the 1960s and 1970s usually had restricted-range
pi-nets which were easier to adjust, but sometimes required an
external matching device.
- Ham rigs of the 1980s and later usually have solid-state finals and
no adjustment - and usually require an external matching device.

And that is what I'm thinking about with regards to new rigs with
an internal tuner that has both balanced and unbalanced capabilities as a
natural evolution. There are a lot of Hams that don't have the ability to
put up towers and beams, and are looking at a wire antenna for a while. I
think its time for that

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo March 5th 07 03:56 AM

Tube equipment question

" wrote in
oups.com:

Besides old ARRL Handbooks prior to the 1970s, I'd suggest
finding the site that has digitized copies of GE Ham News.
Those were (bi-monthly?) hand-outs by GE to push their
tubes (naturally) but they contained lots of different ham
projects (using tubes, of course).

Got it! Thanks a lot Len - I googled them up, and have enough reading
material to keep me busy for a while.

the site is: http://bama.sbc.edu/ge_ham_news.htm

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] March 5th 07 06:08 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 11:21 pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 4, 12:53?pm, wrote:

On Mar 4, 12:48?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
Some may tell you that all it takes to tune up a tube
transmitter is to "peak the grid and dip the plate", but
that's simply not correct. Tuneup procedures vary
according to rig design and you have to be specific.

Sorry, but that was procedure for pre-WW2 high-
power HF transmitters.

Sure it was.

While it is a simplistic
phrase, it still applies. A more exact procedure
was to tune up the exciter with reduced drive
power and literally peak the grid current. Plate
current was then observed with the plate tuning
adjusted for a slight, but observable dip in plate
current. Of (perhaps) greater importance was setting
the neutralizing control for minimum grid current;
"dipping" the plate current should produce the least
grid current peak on adjusting the plate tuning.

A number of amateur transmitters/transceivers have used a quick
peaking of the drive/preselector control followed by adjustment of
tune and load controls for maximum output, keeping readings within
operating parameters. I've never seen an amateur transmitter with a
front panel neutralizing capacitor. Neutralization is normally a set
and forget procedure which one needn't worry about until the final
tubes are replaced.

Tuning for maximum output for a given amount of drive has become the
norm in tuning high power, vacuum tube linear amplifiers. All one
needs do is make certain that the bottles don't aren't drawing too
much grid current. A check of linearity can be made with the station
monitor 'scope.

The load capacitor of a pi-net has
the least effect on tuning to a new frequency.

That would depend upon the antenna being used and the amount of
frequency change as well as the type of equipment being used. Some
manufacturers switch in some fixed capacitance on various bands or
portions of bands.

The pi-network output circuit was a favorite among
amateur homebrewers for decades due to its
simplicity and better ability to attenuate harmonics...

....but the Pi-L did a much better job of attenuating harmonics with
only a little more circuit complexity. Quite a number of Novice
licensees found themselves in receipt of OO notices or letters from
the FCC when using a simple pi-net output tank with a multiband
antenna.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] March 5th 07 06:09 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 5, 3:26 am, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote groups.com:

The simplicity was what attracted me to them. No filters, nonotch,
no pbt, no RIT, no - well you get it.

Note that the
75 meter one stops at 3.8 MHz. Heath figured that by
simplifying the output pi network to the most extreme degree,
they could save a few dollars. Coming up with a 50 ohm
antenna was the ham's problem.

The 75 meter rig I have tunes to 4 MHz. It's also a HW22a, probably a
later mod. But all that simplicity is a good thing for a lad raised
mostly on integrated circuits! 8^)

The 75m transceiver is the HW-12A. It runs 3.8-4.0 MHz. That's all
the phone band there was back when the rig was produced. There's a
mod in one of the mags--CQ, I think--that puts in a fixed silver mica
cap with a little trimmer cap in parallel for making the thing work on
both 3.8-4.0 and 3.7-3.9 MHz at the flip of a mini-toggle switch.
That'd give you a bit more room to roam.

I am now
looking at a Kenwood TS-830S. It's a hybrid, with tube finals. I
really like it so far, although I don't see it replacing my
IC-761.

That's a pretty good rig for its era. The matching range is limited
but it will handle 2:1 SWR without problems IMLE.

I have been pretty impressed so far. The receiver seems pretty hot,
certainly the sound is *good*. I'm listening to it right now, and it is
simply very legible. Tuning is only one speed, and a tad fast. Seems
strange just having SSB and CW, but overall I think I'll keep it.

In it's era, the TS-830 was somewhat of a DXer's and contester's dream
machine.
That receiver has an extra filter slot for cascading filters. One can
still buy after market filters for it.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] March 5th 07 11:28 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 10:23�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
* * * * I should have noted large range and balanced/unbalanced output. My
IC-761 has an autotuner on it that works pretty well with my vertical
antenna. The dipole is run with balanced line, and needs a different
tuner.

---

* * * * A little bigger components, plus a 4:1 balun, and they would have
it.

Well, sort of.

The Ancient Ones used antenna matching
devices to feed balanced lines. The Johnson
Matchboxes are one example of a commercial
version. Most Handbooks have examples of
link-coupled balanced wide-range tuners.

The problem was that such link-coupled tuners are large
and not easy to bandswitch.

About 1970, a new idea in tuners appeared: Use an
unbalanced matching network such as a T or L
network with a roller inductor or tapped inductor, with a
balun if balanced output was wanted. 4:1 iron-core toroid
baluns were compact and broadband, the T or L tuner
could be made wide-range without complex bandswitching,
and the whole works seemed an improvement on the old
link-coupled balanced tuner.

The problem was that baluns aren't magic devices. The
system works well if the shack-end of the transmission line
is around 200 ohms impedance and not too reactive. But in
many cases the shack-end impedance with balanced line
is very high or very low, and/or very reactive. Under such
conditions the balun may not do a very good job because it is
being asked to work far outside its design parameters.

Also, if the shack-end impedance is low (say, 12 ohms), the
use of a 4:1 balun will make it so low (3 ohms) that it may be outside
the efficient matching range of the T or L network.

These conditions may be partially remedied by use of a balun
that can be switched to either 4:1 or 1:1 ratio, and by choosing
antenna and feedline combinations that don't result in extreme
values of shack-end impedance/reactance. But that reduces
the flexibility of the system.

The "unbalanced tuner followed by a balun" idea is clearly
one where "newer" wasn't necessarily "better" in all cases.
Yet it became very popular because it usually worked.
But in many cases the balanced line was actually
doing a lot of radiating and there was considerable loss in the
system.

Back in 1990, AG6K came up with an answer to the
shortcomings of that method. He put a 1:1 balun between the
rig and a simple balanced tuner, so the balun only has to
deal with a pure 50 ohm load once the tuner is adjusted.
Although AG6K favors baluns made from coax wound on
PVC pipe, other forms of balun such as ferrite-bead and
wound-toroid can be used if preferred.

You can read AG6K's article he

http://www.somis.org/bbat.html

and judge for yourself.

AG6K's approach used two ganged roller inductors and
a single variable capacitor, compared to most commercial
manual tuners that use two variable caps and a single variable
inductor. Because there are only two controls, remoting the
tuner is made easier.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Steve Bonine March 5th 07 01:36 PM

Tube equipment question

Mike Coslo wrote:

A little bigger components, plus a 4:1 balun, and they would have
it.

I wish that the manufacturers would include the provision for balanced
feedline. The random-length dipole, fed with balanced line, is an ideal
antenna in many cases. It's especially appropriate for disaster
situations (and simulated disasters, like Field Day). Find the two
highest supports that are available, as far apart as possible, measure
the distance, cut the wire and install the middle insulator and
feedline, hoist each end, and you're done. Now you've got a reasonably
efficient radiator (especially if there's enough distance between those
two supports) that you can use on any band, and the length of the
feedline isn't particularly critical. But it takes a tuner and balun to
make it work, and if this was included in the rig and was automatic, it
would be ideal.

73, Steve KB9X

Michael Coslo March 5th 07 03:20 PM

Tube equipment question

wrote groups.com:

The simplicity was what attracted me to them. No filters, nonotch,
no pbt, no RIT, no - well you get it.

Note that the
75 meter one stops at 3.8 MHz. Heath figured that by
simplifying the output pi network to the most extreme degree,
they could save a few dollars. Coming up with a 50 ohm
antenna was the ham's problem.

The 75 meter rig I have tunes to 4 MHz. It's also a HW22a, probably a
later mod. But all that simplicity is a good thing for a lad raised
mostly on integrated circuits! 8^)

The 75m transceiver is the HW-12A. It runs 3.8-4.0 MHz. That's all
the phone band there was back when the rig was produced.

Thanks for the correction Dave. I should have looked at the back of the
unit when I was composing my email

There's a
mod in one of the mags--CQ, I think--that puts in a fixed silver mica
cap with a little trimmer cap in parallel for making the thing work on
both 3.8-4.0 and 3.7-3.9 MHz at the flip of a mini-toggle switch.
That'd give you a bit more room to roam.

Now there is serendipity for ya! I was trying to align the thing, and
having some trouble with the top end. And the unit had this extra switch
on the front. Since I couldn't find the schematic for the "a" version, I
wasn't sure if that switch was part of th ea version or not. Preliminary
looks made me think that it might have been something to lower the
frequency down to the CW portion of the band. But it looks as if my rig
has that mod .

In it's era, the TS-830 was somewhat of a DXer's and contester's dream
machine.
That receiver has an extra filter slot for cascading filters. One can
still buy after market filters for it.

I can believe that it was very popular. The hybrid concept is
interesting. I especially like that you can turn the tubes off if you
just want to listen.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] March 6th 07 12:22 AM

Tube equipment question

From: Mike Coslo on Sun 4 Mar 2007 22:56

" wrote:

Besides old ARRL Handbooks prior to the 1970s, I'd suggest
finding the site that has digitized copies of GE Ham News.
Those were (bi-monthly?) hand-outs by GE to push their
tubes (naturally) but they contained lots of different ham
projects (using tubes, of course).

Got it! Thanks a lot Len - I googled them up, and have enough reading
material to keep me busy for a while.

the site is: http://bama.sbc.edu/ge_ham_news.htm

Thanks for the reminder on BAMA contents. BAMA has more
than just old tube equipment manuals. :-) Good site!

On the general subject of tube PA matching to load, some
remarks:

The automatic antenna tuner might have its beginning at
Collins Radio of the 1950s decade. Reference is the T-195
transmitter, part of a set that used the special version
of the R-390 series called the R-392, designed and built
for the USMC, first fielded in 1955, intended to be Jeep
mounted. The basic whip antenna matching was a servoed
single variable L and a single variable C to a conventional
PA output tank...so-called Ell-network, switchable to
the four possible L-C connection possibilities. On an
Army demo in late 1955, I was most impressed when the
demonstrating officer simply removed half of a whip
section (!), hit the tune function, and the servo
system re-tuned to this new antenna impedance in
seconds. :-)

Warren Bruene must have had a hand in that Autotune
labeled antenna matcher because it has the first instance
I've seen for the "Bruene detector" in the transmission
line to get both amplitude and phase of the RF. Slight
variations of that exist today, generally with a toroid
for current output and a small capacitor for voltage
output, both combined into dual diode detectors. Today's
antenna auto-tuning subsystems use binary-progression
switched single inductors and single capacitors with the
servo system basically a microcontroller plus small
frequency counter (sometimes) that can determine which
L or C to switch and remember the frequency and setting.
SGC (Stoner Goral Company) in the Puget Sound area of
Washington state has at least three models for both
maritime and amateur radio HF use. The Big3 (Icom,
Yaesu, Kenwood) have them, either built-in or as out-
board boxes. Several independent USA companies have
them.

ALL (no exceptions) antenna tuners have limits on
their impedance matching capabilities, whether "Pi-L"
output tanks or big boatanchor style structures
that look very impressive. There are few overall
advantages in any configuration with the possible
exception of Simplicity of the single L, single C
variety now common to today's autotuning matchers.
ALL, even the popular Pi-network, have limits that
can be proven mathematically; if the math doesn't
fit, no amount of publicity or historical references
will make it fit better.

If you or anyone else would like an algebraic-only
math explanation of the four combinations of single
L and C matching combinations...with their limits of
load impedance variation, I'll be happy to forward
them by e-mail attachments. No binary files here
and the equations, figures are better shown in the
PDF format.

73,

[email protected] March 6th 07 02:30 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 4, 10:56 pm, Mike Coslo wrote:

the site is:http://bama.sbc.edu/ge_ham_news.htm

Mike,

If you like the BoatAnchor Manual Archive, you
may be interested in these sites. Lots of
downloadable manuals and data:

First is Pete Millett's book site:

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

Has some incredible stuff, like complete ARRL and
Radio Handbooks, Radiotron Designer's Handbook,
Reference Data for Radio Engineers, and much more.
All in PDF.

CAUTION! Some files are quite large, and will take a long
time to download via dialup. One trick I have used is to set up
a dialup download late at night, hit the button and go to bed.

and tube data, from the RCA HB-3 books:

http://www.pmillett.com/hb-3_tube_manual.htm

arranged by inidvidual tube type, for easy download.

The Glowbugs website has lots of downloadable info:

http://www.mines.uidaho.edu/~glowbugs/index.html

including some good manuals and articles on WW2 military surplus:

http://www.mines.uidaho.edu/~glowbug...__Surplus.html

http://www.mines.uidaho.edu/~glowbugs/PDF%20files/

Some of these are quite large, too.

"Bunker of Doom" site with lots of stuff:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/

Tube manuals, for example.

Transformer catalogs and other data:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/xfm/index.html

Another good site:

http://www.antiqueradioarchives.com/archives_index.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 6th 07 02:30 PM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 5, 3:20 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 5, 3:26 am, Mike Coslo wrote:

The 75m transceiver is the HW-12A. It runs 3.8-4.0 MHz. That's all
the phone band there was back when the rig was produced.

Thanks for the correction Dave. I should have looked at the back of the
unit when I was composing my email

Not a problem. I'm fairly familiar with the series since I ran them
mobile for a number of years.

There's a

mod in one of the mags--CQ, I think--that puts in a fixed silver mica
cap with a little trimmer cap in parallel for making the thing work on
both 3.8-4.0 and 3.7-3.9 MHz at the flip of a mini-toggle switch.
That'd give you a bit more room to roam.

Now there is serendipity for ya! I was trying to align the thing, and
having some trouble with the top end. And the unit had this extra switch
on the front. Since I couldn't find the schematic for the "a" version, I
wasn't sure if that switch was part of th ea version or not. Preliminary
looks made me think that it might have been something to lower the
frequency down to the CW portion of the band. But it looks as if my rig
has that mod .

If I run across the mod, I'll forward a scan of the information to
you. There was another easy mod which padded the carrier oscillator
frequency in order to roll off some of the annoying high frequency
hiss on receiver, while adding fullness to the transmitted audio. It
had the added benefit of more carrier output for tune up.
Your HW-12A may have that mod as well.

In it's era, the TS-830 was somewhat of a DXer's and contester's dream
machine.
That receiver has an extra filter slot for cascading filters. One can
still buy after market filters for it.

I can believe that it was very popular. The hybrid concept is
interesting. I especially like that you can turn the tubes off if you
just want to listen.

The '830 doesn't get points for being an early hybrid, but it does get
points for having that cascaded filter availability. The early
Hybrids were rigs like the Yaesu FT-101 and variants along with the
Kenwood TS-520 and TS-820. Drake used a hybrid design in the T4-XC/R4-
C transmitter/receiver pair but there was a mix of tubes/solid state
devices in the receiver. The Drake 2-C receiver might have been the
earliest hybrid design amateur receiver.

Dave K8MN

Michael Coslo March 6th 07 09:30 PM

Tube equipment question

wrote:

These conditions may be partially remedied by use of a balun
that can be switched to either 4:1 or 1:1 ratio, and by choosing
antenna and feedline combinations that don't result in extreme
values of shack-end impedance/reactance. But that reduces
the flexibility of the system.

True enough.

snip

You can read AG6K's article he

http://www.somis.org/bbat.html

and judge for yourself.

I have gathered the parts to make just that!. I'd have it up now, but I
switched to a coax fed antenna for a while, and built a more traditional
tuner. In the interim I went back to balanced line.

AG6K's approach used two ganged roller inductors and
a single variable capacitor, compared to most commercial
manual tuners that use two variable caps and a single variable
inductor. Because there are only two controls, remoting the
tuner is made easier.

Some day I'll report on how mine is doing. In the present situation I
don't need remote tuning, but will probably motorize the unit anyway.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Michael Coslo March 6th 07 09:38 PM

Tube equipment question

wrote:

If you or anyone else would like an algebraic-only
math explanation of the four combinations of single
L and C matching combinations...with their limits of
load impedance variation, I'll be happy to forward
them by e-mail attachments. No binary files here
and the equations, figures are better shown in the
PDF format.

I would appreciate that very much, Len. This address would be fine.
Thanks - Mike -

[email protected] March 7th 07 04:02 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 6, 4:30?pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:

You can read AG6K's article he

http://www.somis.org/bbat.html

and judge for yourself.

I have gathered the parts to make just that!. I'd have it up now, but I
switched to a coax fed antenna for a while, and built a more traditional
tuner. In the interim I went back to balanced line.

The AG6K tuner can be used with balanced or unbalanced
line.

All you have to do to use it with an unbalanced line is to ground the
coax shield at the tuner end of the coax balun,
and use the "other side" to feed the ungrounded line. A
simple SPST switch of adequate ratings can do the job.

The AG6K tuner, as described, has adequate matching
range for most dipole-fed-with-balanced-line amateur
antennas. A little care in choosing the antenna and
feedline length can make the tuner's job a lot easier.

Reg Edwards' DIPOLE3 program can be a big help in
figuring out the shack-end impedance of various
antenna/transmission line combinations.

AG6K's approach used two ganged roller inductors and
a single variable capacitor, compared to most commercial
manual tuners that use two variable caps and a single variable
inductor. Because there are only two controls, remoting the
tuner is made easier.

Some day I'll report on how mine is doing. In the present situation I
don't need remote tuning, but will probably motorize the unit anyway.

Although not mentioned in the article, the roller inductors
could be replaced by a pair of tapped coils and a double-pole switch.
The tap positions would have to be found by
experiment, but could be made permanent once they were found. Tuner
adjustment could then consist of simply selecting the correct tap
postion with the switch, and
adjusting the variable capacitor for minimum SWR.

Automatic tuners are not new to amateur radio, btw.
An automatic balanced tuner was described in QST for July, 1952. It
would automatically retune itself within
an amateur band. Changing bands meant changing coils, but once that
was done the tuner would do the rest automatically.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Horne, W1AC March 7th 07 04:12 AM

Tube equipment question

wrote:
[snip]
The "unbalanced tuner followed by a balun" idea is clearly
one where "newer" wasn't necessarily "better" in all cases.
Yet it became very popular because it usually worked.
But in many cases the balanced line was actually
doing a lot of radiating and there was considerable loss in the
system.

Back in 1990, AG6K came up with an answer to the
shortcomings of that method. He put a 1:1 balun between the
rig and a simple balanced tuner, so the balun only has to
deal with a pure 50 ohm load once the tuner is adjusted.
Although AG6K favors baluns made from coax wound on
PVC pipe, other forms of balun such as ferrite-bead and
wound-toroid can be used if preferred.

[snip]

I'm not sure a "balanced" tuner is required. I have an off-center-fed
dipole I use with 600 ohm ladder line, and I'd like to try it with an
Ultimate Transmatch. If I put AG6K's coax balun on the input and isolate
the chasis from ground, wouldn't that achieve the same result?

Bill

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)

Michael Coslo March 7th 07 05:01 PM

Tube equipment question

wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:30?pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

I have gathered the parts to make just that!. I'd have it up now, but I
switched to a coax fed antenna for a while, and built a more traditional
tuner. In the interim I went back to balanced line.

The AG6K tuner can be used with balanced or unbalanced
line.

I should have been more clear about the reasons. The tuner that I made
is a massively retro unit that is kinda pretty. Cherry finished wood
face, with real old time knobs and cranks. If I went to the balanced one
now, I'd need to start over again. I will eventually build the AG6K type
balanced tuner of course, but want to enjoy this one for a while.

Reg Edwards' DIPOLE3 program can be a big help in
figuring out the shack-end impedance of various
antenna/transmission line combinations.

I have all his programs. Upon his demise, his family and a number of
interested amateurs made sure to archive and distribute them. We miss
Reg over on rraa.

Although not mentioned in the article, the roller inductors
could be replaced by a pair of tapped coils and a double-pole switch.

The tuner can be hot switched, I assume?

Automatic tuners are not new to amateur radio, btw.
An automatic balanced tuner was described in QST for July, 1952. It
would automatically retune itself within
an amateur band. Changing bands meant changing coils, but once that
was done the tuner would do the rest automatically.

Thanks for the reference, Jim. It should be interesting to see how they
did it then.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] March 8th 07 04:19 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 7, 12:01�pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:30?pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
I have gathered the parts to make just that!. I'd have it up now, but I
switched to a coax fed antenna for a while, and built a more traditional
tuner. In the interim I went back to balanced line.

The AG6K tuner can be used with balanced or unbalanced
line.

I should have been more clear about the reasons. The tuner that I made
is a massively retro unit that is kinda pretty. Cherry finished wood
face, with real old time knobs and cranks. If I went to the balanced one
now, I'd need to start over again. I will eventually build the AG6K type
balanced tuner of course, but want to enjoy this one for a while.

Understood.

Reg Edwards' DIPOLE3 program can be a big help in
figuring out the shack-end impedance of various
antenna/transmission line combinations.

* * * * I have all his programs.

Me too. In several places!

Upon his demise, his family and a number of
interested amateurs made sure to archive and distribute them. We miss
Reg over on rraa.

I miss him too. I read his bio somewhere - very impressive.
A real class act.

Although not mentioned in the article, the roller inductors
could be replaced by a pair of tapped coils and a double-pole switch.

* * * * The tuner can be hot switched, I assume?

Depends on the switch, but I would not do that even with
heavy-duty switches. Puts an unnecessary strain on the
rig feeding the tuner.

Automatic tuners are not new to amateur radio, btw.
An automatic balanced tuner was described in QST for July, 1952. It
would automatically retune itself within
an amateur band. Changing bands meant changing coils, but once that
was done the tuner would do the rest automatically.

To be really accurate, such a tuner might best be
called "semi automatic". You had to manually
set it up for each band - it couldn't usually find a
match by blind luck. But once you had the coil and taps
set, it would find a match and follow you up and down the band.

Although the original used a balanced link-coupled tuner, the
principles could be applied to any tuner that meets the
basic concepts.

One modern-day use I can see for such a tuner is for 80/75 meters
with, say, a dipole. You could QSY anywhere in the band and the tuner
would automatically follow.

* * * * Thanks for the reference, Jim. It should be interesting to see how they
did it then.

I looked up the articles. Here's how they did it:

The key to the system is the in-line phase detector. It looks a lot
like the sensing element of an SWR bridge, but what
it senses is the power factor (reactance ratio) of the load.
The phase detector has two DC outputs.

If the load is resistive, the two outputs are equal. If the load is
inductive, one output is higher than the other, and if the load is
capacitive the other output is higher.

The DC outputs are fed into a sort of DC differential amplifier
(couple of 6SN7s) which operate a pair of relays.
The relays control a reversible 2 rpm motor that turns the
big splitstator capacitor in the tuner.

If the two outputs are equal, neither relay energizes and the motor
doesn't run. If the load is capacitive, one relay energizes and turns
the motor one way, and if the load is inductive the other relay
energizes and turns the motor the other way.

No operator attention was needed at all once the system was set up.
You didn't have to push a "TUNE" button or anything else - the tuner
would simply do its thing when you transmitted.

In a later article, the same idea was applied to a mobile
installation, retuning the antenna loading coil automatically.
This was long before "screwdriver" antennas!

The whole thing is so simple that at first I wondered why it wasn't
more common back then. The answer is that most rigs of that era had
lots of adjustments, and automating one
of them didn't really save all that much in most cases. Today, with no-
tune rigs, maybe it's worth another look.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Cecil Moore March 8th 07 05:17 AM

Tube equipment question

wrote:
The whole thing is so simple that at first I wondered why it wasn't
more common back then.

Ever watch an ART-13 tune itself?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

[email protected] March 8th 07 06:53 AM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 7, 9:17�pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
The whole thing is so simple that at first I wondered why it wasn't
more common back then.

Ever watch an ART-13 tune itself?
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

Heh, I have, about 20 years after it first came out. That, and
I used to align R-391s...which were much more fun to watch.
ADA had one commercial Collins Autotune transmitter for
about two years, three racks wide, all the Autotune rotary
power came from a single quarter-horsepower reversible
motor. Fastest-reversing motor I'd seen up to 1953.

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] March 8th 07 02:07 PM

Tube equipment question

On Mar 8, 12:17?am, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
The whole thing is so simple that at first I wondered why it wasn't
more common back then.

Ever watch an ART-13 tune itself?

Yep, Cecil, quite a show!

But the Collins Autotune is really a form of mechanical
memory re-tuning, like the mechanical pushbuttons on
an old-style car radio. A human operator tunes up the ART-13 manually,
locks the settings into one of the Autotune 'memories' then the
Autotune remembers the exact settings of each control and resets them,
when requested.

What the Autotune does not do is to adjust any of the controls to some
electrical parameter in the rig itself - plate current, low SWR,
resonance, etc. It just puts all the knobs back where they were.

Still very impressive, though. And about a decade before the articles
I mentioned.

73 de Jim, N2EY