RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   March 9 2007 License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170533-march-9-2007-license-numbers.html)

[email protected] March 10th 07 08:01 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

These are the number of current,
unexpired FCC-issued amateur
radio licenses held by individuals
on the stated dates, and the
percentage of the total number
of active licenses that class contains.

Percentages may not add up to exactly
100.0% due to rounding.

These totals do not include licenses
that have expired but are in the grace
period, nor do they include club, military
and other station-only licenses.

Effective April 15, 2000, FCC no longer issued
new Novice, Technician Plus and Advanced
class licenses, so the numbers of those license
classes have declined steadily since then.

Also since April 15, 2000, FCC has renewed all
existing Technician Plus licenses as Technician.
It is therefore informative to consider the totals of
the two classes, since the Technician class
includes a significant number of Technician Plus
licenses renewed as Technician.

On February 23, 2007, the last Morse Code
test element, the 5 wpm receiving test, was
eliminated as a requirement.

The ARS License Numbers:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice- 49,329 (7.3%)
Technician - 205,394 (30.4%)
Technician Plus - 128,860 (19.1%)
General - 112,677 (16.7%)
Advanced - 99,782 (14.8%)
Extra - 78,750 (11.7%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 334,254 (49.5%)

Total all classes - 674,792

As of February 22, 2007:

Novice - 22,896 (3.5%)
Technician - 293,508 (44.8%)
Technician Plus - 30,818 (4.7%)
General - 130,138 (19.9%)
Advanced - 69,050 (10.5%)
Extra - 108,270 (16.5%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 324,326 (49.5%)

Total all classes - 654,680

As of March 9, 2007:

Novice - 22,725 (3.5%)
Technician - 291,312 (44.5%)
Technician Plus - 30,243 (4.6%)
General - 132,863 (20.3%)
Advanced - 68,837 (10.5%)
Extra - 108,789 (16.6%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 321,555 (49.1%)

Total all classes - 654,769

Changes:

From May 14, 2000, to February 22, 2007:

Novice - decrease of 26,433
Technician - increase of 88,114
Technician Plus - decrease of 98,042
General - increase of 17,461
Advanced - decrease of 30,732
Extra - increase of 29,520

Total Tech/TechPlus - decrease of 9,928

Total all classes - decrease of 20,112

From May 14, 2000, to March 9, 2007:

Novice - decrease of 26,604
Technician - increase of 85,918
Technician Plus - decrease of 98,617
General - increase of 20,816
Advanced - decrease of 30,945
Extra - increase of 30,039

Total Tech/TechPlus - decrease of 12,699

Total all classes - decrease of 20,023

From February 22, 2007, to March 9, 2007:

Novice - decrease of 171
Technician - decrease of 2,196
Technician Plus - decrease of 575
General - increase of 2,725
Advanced - decrease of 213
Extra - increase of 519

Total Tech/TechPlus - decrease of 2,771

Total all classes - increase of 89

---

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dee Flint March 10th 07 11:58 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

wrote in message
ups.com...

[snip]

Total all classes - increase of 89

---

73 de Jim, N2EY

Well if we continue at this pace, that will mean 0.35% growth in one year.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] March 11th 07 02:19 AM

On Mar 10, 8:36�pm, Jim Higgins wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:01:47 CST, wrote:
These are the number of current,
unexpired FCC-issued amateur
radio licenses held by individuals

Why don't you put this info in table form on a web site and post a
link to it? *http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.htmlprovides an
excellent example.

As it is it's hard to digest at a glance and provides no history, only
a monthly snapshot.

The problem with the website idea is that the information will
only be available as long as the website is active.

By posting to Usenet, the numbers will be generally available as long
as Usenet is archived. I've been posting these numbers twice a month
since 2002 or so, and anybody with internet access can reference the
old numbers by a Google search.

To keep the traffic level down, I'm going to once-a-month
now, and a revised format to show changes relative to May
2000 and February 2007.

Perhaps in the future, I will collect all those old postings
and condense them into one, or a few, postings. Such as
numbers-by-year.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Gunshannon[_2_] March 11th 07 02:32 AM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

In article ,
"Dee Flint" writes:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[snip]

Total all classes - increase of 89

---

73 de Jim, N2EY

Well if we continue at this pace, that will mean 0.35% growth in one year.

Except it fails to take into account hams who die who's licenses will
remain in the count for as much as 10 years afterwards. And statistics
show ham radio is a very grey hobby and getting greyer all the time.

bill
KB3YV

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h

[email protected] March 11th 07 03:23 AM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

On Mar 10, 9:32�pm, (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Dee Flint" writes:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

Total all classes - increase of 89

---

73 de Jim, N2EY

Well if we continue at this pace, that will mean 0.35% *growth in one year.

Which fits right into my prediction of 0% to 1% growth!

And I'll take 0.35% growth over a decline.

But what is completely unknown at this point is whether the growth
will continue. After the 2000 restructuring, the license numbers
climbed for about three years - and then began to decline, until now
they are well below what they were before the restructuring of 2000.

Except it fails to take into account hams who die who's licenses will
remain in the count for as much as 10 years afterwards. *

That's always been part of the statistics, Bill. It's part of the
reason I exclude licenses that are in the grace period.

And statistics
show ham radio is a very grey hobby and getting greyer all the time.

Those statistics need to be seen in the context of the US population.

First, the US population is getting older, too. More people are living
longer, having fewer children, and having them later in life.
According to the Census Bureau, the median age for the US population
(half older, half younger) is now over 39 years! From 1990 to 2000, it
rose by more than four years.

Second, while we occasionally read stories of young children earning
an amateur license, in reality there are, and have always been, very
few hams under the age of 10 years. So if we remove the under-10
population from consideration, the median age of amateurs should be
somewhere around 50 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Steve Bonine March 11th 07 05:21 PM

wrote:

So if we remove the under-10
population from consideration, the median age of amateurs should be
somewhere around 50 years.

Is there any real data on the median age of amateurs? Does a database
exist that contains date-of-birth so that the actual statistic could be
developed?

My personal opinion, based on looking around at gatherings of amateur
radio operators and on-the-air contacts, is that the median age is
closer to 60, at least for US ops. I wish we had real data.

73, Steve KB9X

Dee Flint March 11th 07 06:29 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

"Steve Bonine" wrote in message

[snip]

My personal opinion, based on looking around at gatherings of amateur
radio operators and on-the-air contacts, is that the median age is closer
to 60, at least for US ops. I wish we had real data.

Keep in mind though that this also is not representative. It is the older
operators and retirees that have the time and money to more actively
participate in the hobby.

This is true in many activities. For example, the average age of the
members in the community band to which I belong is also in about the 50 to
60 year old range.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] March 11th 07 07:38 PM

On Mar 10, 10:46�pm, Jim Higgins wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:19:22 CST, wrote:
[...]

Your choice; you're certainly under no obligation. *For sure - at
least IMO - the usefulness of the data will increase by several orders
of magnitude if put in tabular form to allow seeing historical trends
easily.-

I agree! I invite and encourage you to collect the
postings I have made on the "ARS License Numbers",
put them in tabular form (say, monthly)
and put them on a website of your choice. They're
all in the Usenet archives, all posted by the same author (me).

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 11th 07 07:58 PM

On Mar 11, 12:21�pm, Steve Bonine wrote:
wrote:
So if we remove the under-10
population from consideration, the median age of amateurs should be
somewhere around 50 years.

Is there any real data on the median age of amateurs? *Does a database
exist that contains date-of-birth so that the actual statistic could be
developed?

I don't know of any.

At various times, FCC has required date-of-birth information. But that
policy has changed over time, so the license database contains DOB
info on some, but not all, US hams, depending on when they were first
licensed. So the FCC license database is not a reliable sample or
source.

My personal opinion, based on looking around at gatherings of amateur
radio operators and on-the-air contacts, is that the median age is
closer to 60, at least for US ops.

The problem with using such observations is that they
are not reliable samples either. For example, the hams
you see at gatherings are those who have the time,
interest and resources to go to them. The younger
amateur who is raising children, taking care of elders,
busy with a career or education, etc., is much less likely
to go to a hamfest or club meeting.

Similar concerns go with on-air observations. The younger
ham with a car full of children is less likely to be operating
mobile, for example. The ham with a 60-hour-per-week day job is not
likely to be on the air at 2 PM on a weekday. Etc.

*I wish we had real data.

Me too!

The numbers I see published lack even the most
basic detail. For example, I've seen claims that
the "average age of US hams is xx years" -
without any info about how the number was
derived, whether it's the mean, median, or
some other number, nor how it compares to
the US population as a whole.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Cecil Moore March 11th 07 07:58 PM

wrote:
I agree! I invite and encourage you to collect the
postings I have made on the "ARS License Numbers",
put them in tabular form (say, monthly)
and put them on a website of your choice. They're
all in the Usenet archives, all posted by the same author (me).

May I suggest that they be put in an Excel spreadsheet
so that graphics may be generated?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Ivor Jones March 11th 07 09:26 PM

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Steve Bonine" wrote in message

[snip]

Keep in mind though that this also is not representative.
It is the older operators and retirees that have the time
and money to more actively participate in the hobby.

I know plenty of licensed people a lot younger than that who have plenty
of money to go on air but have simply lost interest. The internet has a
lot to do with it IMHO, this discussion for example would probably have
taken place on a packet radio BBS 10 to 15 years ago. Indeed I ran a
packet BBS for 11 years, when I started it in 1993 I had around 100 users,
when it closed in 2004 there were just three.

They have just introduced a lifetime licence here in the UK, which means
no more renewals will be necessary, although a licensee will have to
confirm every 5 years if they still want to retain the callsign. This will
still give a false impression of the number of people actually on the air,
though.

This is true in many activities. For example, the
average age of the members in the community band to which
I belong is also in about the 50 to 60 year old range.

Dee, N8UZE

There are also those who still hold licences but are inactive. Of the 20
or so people that I still keep in touch with from my old radio club, only
3 or 4 apart from me are still actively on the air, even though they still
hold callsigns, plus I'm the only one of those who still has 2m/70cm
equipment in the car. Age wise, most of them are anywhere between 30 and
50, with one or two approaching 60 and one who is 62.

Ivor G6URP

[email protected] March 12th 07 02:10 AM

On Mar 11, 2:58?pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
I agree! I invite and encourage you to collect the
postings I have made on the "ARS License Numbers",
put them in tabular form (say, monthly)
and put them on a website of your choice. They're
all in the Usenet archives, all posted by the same author (me).

May I suggest that they be put in an Excel spreadsheet
so that graphics may be generated?

Great idea, Cecil! Be my guest.

If my research is correct, the first "ARS License Numbers" posting I
made was back in September 2001, comparing the numbers of September 22
2001 to those of May 14, 2000.

73 es TNX de Jim, N2EY

Michael Coslo March 14th 07 09:27 PM

wrote:
On Mar 10, 9:32�pm, (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
In article ,
"Dee Flint" writes:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[snip]
Total all classes - increase of 89
---
73 de Jim, N2EY
Well if we continue at this pace, that will mean 0.35% growth in one year.

Which fits right into my prediction of 0% to 1% growth!

And I'll take 0.35% growth over a decline.

But what is completely unknown at this point is whether the growth
will continue. After the 2000 restructuring, the license numbers
climbed for about three years - and then began to decline, until now
they are well below what they were before the restructuring of 2000.

Here are some really rough calculations for my area:

Presently licensed in the State College area:

231 - I'll have to subtract 3 club licenses

229 local State College Hams

In the past 6 months, we've had around 2 hams per month added by club
testing. Note that this includes testing under the old system.

The local University also has testing as part of one of the EE classes.
I don't have the exact numbers, or even close. They test by semester.

Given that about 12 hams have been added to the rosters by us in the
last 6 months there is at least a 1 percent growth rate - disregarding
the college group. Taking a rough estimate, they must be doing at least
as well, as the classes continue. My guess is that the final growth in
this area is around 2 percent. That is as just about at the top of the
growth that I would like to see.

We often speak of the effects that recent changes will have on the
number of new Hams coming into the fold.

I think this is a bit of a red herring attribute.

I think that growth in the service is much more dependent on what we do
to get people into it.

We've been on a recruitment effort that allows the new guys and gals to
not feel inadequate. We're teaching real basics, like how to solder, how
to read color codes on resistors. That kind of stuff. Oh yeah, and how
to operate that HF rig. I'm our club station manager, and we're turning
one corner of the building into a classroom for the new folks. And we're
being very careful to not sound like we know everything. (I don't have
to work too hard at that) ;^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] March 15th 07 12:14 AM

On Mar 14, 4:27�pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 10, 9:32?pm, (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Dee Flint" writes:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[snip]
Total all classes - increase of 89
---
73 de Jim, N2EY
Well if we continue at this pace, that will mean 0.35% *growth in one year.

Which fits right into my prediction of 0% to 1% growth!

And I'll take 0.35% growth over a decline.

However, it is foolish to look at short-term results and
assume they will continue. Day-to-day variations can be quite
large.

For example, the most recent numbers I have at hand are
for March 12, 2007. Total current FCC-issued licenses
on that date (as of 7 PM March 13) were 654,331. That's
349 less than the 654,680 on Feb 22. Of course tomorrow's
numbers may be much higher.

But what is completely unknown at this point is whether the growth
will continue. After the 2000 restructuring, the license numbers
climbed for about three years - and then began to decline, until now
they are well below what they were before the restructuring of 2000.

Here are some really rough calculations for my area:

Presently licensed in the State College area:

231 - I'll have to subtract 3 club licenses

229 local State College Hams

In the past 6 months, we've had around 2 hams per month added by club
testing. Note that this includes testing under the old system.

OK so far.

The local University also has testing as part of one of the EE classes.
I don't have the exact numbers, or even close. They test by semester.

* * * * Given that about 12 hams have been added to the rosters by us in the
last 6 months there is at least a 1 percent growth rate - disregarding
the college group. Taking a rough estimate, they must be doing at least
as well, as the classes continue. My guess is that the final growth in
this area is around 2 percent. That is as just about at the top of the
growth that I would like to see.

That's all good stuff - for the State College area.

But it may or may not be applicable to other areas. We really don't
know for sure.

* * * * We often speak of the effects that recent changes will have on the
number of new Hams coming into the fold.

* * * * I think this is a bit of a red herring attribute.

* * * * I think that growth in the service is much more dependent on what we do
to get people into it.

I agree 100%.

However, in recent decades, one of the main reasons given for
changing the license test requirements has been to stimulate
growth. Time and again, those pushing for the changes have
said they were absolutely necessary in order for the number
of US hams to grow in the future. So it's certainly worth watching
to see whether they were right or wrong.

We've been on a recruitment effort that allows the new guys and gals to
not feel inadequate. We're teaching real basics, like how to solder, how
to read color codes on resistors. That kind of stuff. Oh yeah, and how
to operate that HF rig. I'm our club station manager, and we're turning
one corner of the building into a classroom for the new folks. And we're
being very careful to not sound like we know everything. (I don't have
to work too hard at that) ;^)

This is all good stuff.Excellent work, Mike!

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 17th 07 03:31 AM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

Hi,

I wouldn't expect ham numbers to climb dramatically but I would expect
to see the Amateur Extra class increase in proportion so that it will
be the majority of ***active*** hams, ie active hams seeking out the
highest privilege level, this is typically what has happened in other
countries that kept multiple tier licenses after 2003. Amateur radio
growth is limited by the internet. We call relatives in Australia via
Skype and don't think twice about it, the world is a smaller place and
the excitement of radio contact is less.

That being said, I'm a new Extra and am just setting up a station.

As for the numbers, I passed my Extra on March 4th and I'm still a
General in ULS, so be patient on the numbers.

Thank you for your effort.

wrote:
On Mar 10, 9:32?pm, (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
In article ,
"Dee Flint" writes:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[snip]

[email protected] March 17th 07 03:09 PM

On Mar 16, 10:31�pm, wrote:
Hi,

I wouldn't expect ham numbers to climb dramatically but I would expect
to see the Amateur Extra class increase in proportion so that it will
be the majority of ***active*** hams, ie active hams seeking out the
highest privilege level, this is typically what has happened in other
countries that kept multiple tier licenses after 2003.

Maybe - but I doubt it will happen.

Back in 2000 the FCC reduced both the written and Morse Code
testing. Anyone who held a Morse Code tested license could upgrade
to Extra with just some written testing - and the amount of written
testing was reduced too.

Yet here it is seven years later and several hundred thousand hams
hold General and Advanced licenses. Surely they aren't all inactive.
They just haven't gotten around to passing the written tests yet.

*Amateur radio
growth is limited by the internet. *We call relatives in Australia via
Skype and don't think twice about it, the world is a smaller place and
the excitement of radio contact is less.

I think that depends on why someone wants to be a radio amateur.

IMHO, there are three basic motivations to being a ham:

1) Operating radios

2) Messing around with technology

3) Communicating electronically

Most hams are motivated by a mixture of these three. Their
relative importance varies with the person.

There was a time when the average person's options for
electronic/electric communication were very limited. Those
days are long gone - not just because of the internet but
because of lowcost cell phones and long distance calling.
So those who are primarily motivated by 3) aren't going to
be hams any more.

But 1) and 2) are still going strong. The big difference is
that they represent the individual doing something that is
*independent* of a big commercial network. Being an
operator, not a user.

It's a bit like the difference between flying a plane yourself
and riding in an airliner. Both get you there, and the
airliner is almost certainly faster, safer and less expensive.
But it's not the same thing. Ask any pilot.

What amateur radio is really all about today is "radio for
its own sake". Radio as an end in itself, not a means to
an end.

That being said, I'm a new Extra and am just setting up a station.

Congratulations and welcome! I hope to work you on the air.

As for the numbers, I passed my Extra on March 4th and I'm still a
General in ULS, so be patient on the numbers.

Yup. It will take a while for the dust to settle. The big hamfest/VE
session season is only just beginning.

Thank you for your effort.

You're welcome. Next set of numbers will be in a week or so,
then once a month after that, on or around the 23rd of the month.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Cecil Moore[_2_] March 17th 07 04:12 PM

wrote:
IMHO, there are three basic motivations to being a ham:
1) Operating radios
2) Messing around with technology
3) Communicating electronically

(4) Was motivated in the past by one or more of the
above but now just continues to renew his/her ham
license while operating cell phones, sending emails,
and posting to r.r.a.* groups. :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Dee Flint March 17th 07 08:38 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
IMHO, there are three basic motivations to being a ham:
1) Operating radios
2) Messing around with technology
3) Communicating electronically

(4) Was motivated in the past by one or more of the
above but now just continues to renew his/her ham
license while operating cell phones, sending emails,
and posting to r.r.a.* groups. :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

In my opinion there is another motivator. To me, the main fascination is
being able to communicate without the need for any infrastructure. All I
need is my radio, the stuff to make a basic dipole, a source of power, and
my mike or key. Nothing ties us together except the ionosphere. On top of
all that, when conditions are moderately good, it can be done with
relatively small amounts of power. i.e. It is the ability to basically do
this independently.

Dee, N8UZE

Cecil Moore[_2_] March 17th 07 10:25 PM

Dee Flint wrote:
In my opinion there is another motivator. To me, the main fascination is
being able to communicate without the need for any infrastructure.

Good luck at being in the right place at the right
time when all other infrastructure fails. I've been
a coded ham for 55 years and have yet to use CW for
any emergency communications. The only HF emergency
communications I ever needed to use was CB.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Dee Flint March 18th 07 12:30 AM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
Dee Flint wrote:
In my opinion there is another motivator. To me, the main fascination is
being able to communicate without the need for any infrastructure.

Good luck at being in the right place at the right
time when all other infrastructure fails. I've been
a coded ham for 55 years and have yet to use CW for
any emergency communications. The only HF emergency
communications I ever needed to use was CB.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I did not mention or imply anything to do with emergency communications or
CW. I merely stated that the fascinating part was to be able to contact
people without the need for an infrastructure. There is a feeling of
independence from being able to, as an individual, communicate around the
world.

Dee, N8UZE

Ivor Jones March 18th 07 12:40 AM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

[snip]

I did not mention or imply anything to do with emergency
communications or CW. I merely stated that the
fascinating part was to be able to contact people without
the need for an infrastructure. There is a feeling of
independence from being able to, as an individual,
communicate around the world.
Dee, N8UZE

I agree. People often ask me why I use 2m & 70cm in the car, for example,
when everyone (well, nearly everyone) has a mobile phone (cellphone for
you US types..!). I always answer that you can't put a blind CQ call out
on a phone. That's the attraction for me, you never know who might reply
to a call.

73 Ivor G6URP

[email protected] March 18th 07 06:06 AM

On Mar 17, 3:38�pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

In my opinion there is another motivator. *To me, the main fascination is
being able to communicate without the need for any infrastructure. *All I
need is my radio, the stuff to make a basic dipole, a source of power, and
my mike or key. *Nothing ties us together except the ionosphere. *On top of
all that, when conditions are moderately good, it can be done with
relatively small amounts of power. *i.e. *It is the ability to basically do
this independently.

Dee,

At one time I would put all that under "operating radios",
but I think you have hit on something that deserves its own
classification. Or at least more words.

What you describe is a combination of independence and
simplicity. It's partly about not being dependent on a communications
infrastructure other than your station, the
other station(s), and natural features like the ionosphere,
troposphere, etc. It's also partly about the relative simplicity
of an amateur station compared to the enormous but largely
unseen complexity of other modern communications
systems. Sure, I can call Australia on my cell phone - but
the cell phone is only one small part of the enormous and
complex infrastructure needed to make the call.

In amateur radio, the complex infrastructure is replaced by
a combination of luck (propagation) and operator skill.
This makes for unpredictable communications at times -
which is actually a big part of the attraction. When I call
CQ, or listen for another's CQ, I don't know who I'll run into,
whether I'll contact them or not, etc.

IMHO, one of the things many people miss in modern life is
a certain feeling of actually doing something start-to-finish. In most
jobs nowadays, people are part of a team, or a process, contributing
their specialized part to the result. This
is how our complex technological society is able to function
so efficiently.

The downside is that very few people today can point to
something in their work and say "I did that, start to finish,
all by myself". In fact, many things that people used to do
for themselves like car repair/maintenance and fixing things
are either too complex for the DIY person, or are not
meant to be fixed economically.

Amateur radio (and many other DIY activities) offer a way for people
to actually do something start-to-finish, all by
themselves. That's a key point is 'selling' amateur radio.

It's also a big reason behind homebrewing - the
homebrewer knows every part of the radio, how it works,
and how to fix it. That it may not be state-of-the-art or have
all the features of a manufactured item is besides the point.
That's something that simply cannot be bought.

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] March 18th 07 08:11 AM

On Mar 17, 5:25�pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
In my opinion there is another motivator. *To me, the main fascination is
being able to communicate without the need for any infrastructure.

Good luck at being in the right place at the right
time when all other infrastructure fails. I've been
a coded ham for 55 years and have yet to use CW for
any emergency communications. The only HF emergency
communications I ever needed to use was CB.

I was under the impression that the "CW-vs-every other mode" stuff
was over.

Nes pas?

Steve, K4YZ

Cecil Moore[_2_] March 18th 07 03:04 PM

wrote:
I've been
a coded ham for 55 years and have yet to use CW for
any emergency communications. The only HF emergency
communications I ever needed to use was CB.

I was under the impression that the "CW-vs-every other mode" stuff
was over.

My ham experience is mostly limited to CW so I
cannot speak for the other modes.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Dr.Ace March 31st 07 05:57 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

wrote in message
ups.com...
These are the number of current,
unexpired FCC-issued amateur
radio licenses held by individuals
on the stated dates, and the
percentage of the total number
of active licenses that class contains.

---

73 de Jim, N2EY

The Changing Operating Classes
Over the past year the Technician class has increased at an average rate of
13/day.

The Tech Plus class has decreased at an average rate of 27/day.

The Novice class has decreased at an average rate of 9/day.

The General class has increased at an average rate of 7/day.

The Advanced class has decreased at an average rate of 12/day.

The Extra class has increased at an average rate of 6/day.

Club Stations have increased at an average rate of 1/day.

73, Ace - www.WH2T.com

..

KH6HZ March 31st 07 07:58 PM

"Dr.Ace" wrote:

The Changing Operating Classes

Over the past year the Technician class has increased at an average rate
of 13/day.

As the de-facto entry-level license in ham radio, I would expect it to
increase the most of all the license classes.

The Tech Plus class has decreased at an average rate of 27/day.
The Novice class has decreased at an average rate of 9/day.
The Advanced class has decreased at an average rate of 12/day.

Since the FCC is no longer issuing any of these licenses, it is
mathematically impossible for them to "increase" at all. The very best they
could do would be to maintain their exact numbers, assuming a 100% renewal
rate and a 0% upgrade rate out of these classes into others.

The General class has increased at an average rate of 7/day.
The Extra class has increased at an average rate of 6/day.

Or, a combined rate of 13/day, the same daily rate of increase in the
Technician class license. An interesting statistical fluke?

73
kh6hz

AF6AY March 31st 07 08:00 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

On Mar 31, 8:57?am, "Dr.Ace" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

These are the number of current,
unexpired FCC-issued amateur
radio licenses held by individuals
on the stated dates, and the
percentage of the total number
of active licenses that class contains.

---

73 de Jim, N2EY

The Changing Operating Classes
Over the past year the Technician class has increased at an average rate of
13/day.

The Tech Plus class has decreased at an average rate of 27/day.

The Novice class has decreased at an average rate of 9/day.

The General class has increased at an average rate of 7/day.

The Advanced class has decreased at an average rate of 12/day.

The Extra class has increased at an average rate of 6/day.

Club Stations have increased at an average rate of 1/day.

73, Ace -www.WH2T.com

The above is identical to the home page data shown at
www.hamdata.com and reflects the changing class
numbers one month (plus a few days) after the ending
of US amateur radio license code testing.

In the year prior to cessation of code testing, the no-code-
test Technician class license growth had been in the
vicinity of 28 to 30 per day average...with General and
Amateur Extra class growth at half (or so) the values
shown above. The only conclusion I can draw from that
growth is the upgrading of Technicians to General or
Extra, lessening the "growth" of Technicians due to their
class change.

Curiously, there has been a growth of Club licenses
granted in the last year. I would have thought that Club
licenses were relatively static since the overall licensee
totals showed little growth or decline in numbers?

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 1st 07 03:22 AM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

On Mar 31, 11:57?am, "Dr.Ace" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

These are the number of current,
unexpired FCC-issued amateur
radio licenses held by individuals
on the stated dates, and the
percentage of the total number
of active licenses that class contains.

The Changing Operating Classes
Over the past year the Technician class has increased at an average rate of
13/day.

The Tech Plus class has decreased at an average rate of 27/day.

The Novice class has decreased at an average rate of 9/day.

The General class has increased at an average rate of 7/day.

The Advanced class has decreased at an average rate of 12/day.

The Extra class has increased at an average rate of 6/day.

Club Stations have increased at an average rate of 1/day.

Ace,

The numbers you posted above are derived from the
hamdata.com website. Nothing wrong with that, of course,
but those numbers include licenses that are expired but
in the grace period.

The numbers I post are current/unexpired licenses. Here's a
comparison of the 361 days between April 2, 2006 and March 29,
2007, using the numbers of current, unexpired licenses
held by individuals on those dates:

(first number is April 2, 2006, second is March 29, 2007
Per-day changes are rounded to the nearest integer)

Novice: 25614 \ 22473 decrease of 3141 (~9 per day)
Technician: 278860 \ 288960 increase of 10100 (~28 per day)
Technician Plus: 40534 \ 29402 decrease of 11132 (~31 per day)
General: 133682 \ 136061 increase of 2379 (~7 per day)
Advanced: 72819 \ 68507 decrease of 4312 (~12 per day)
Extra: 107768 \ 109371 increase of 1603 (~4 per day)

Total all classes: 659107 \ 654774 decrease of 4333 (~12 per day)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Paul W. Schleck[_3_] April 2nd 07 07:21 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

In . com "AF6AY" writes:

[...]

Curiously, there has been a growth of Club licenses
granted in the last year. I would have thought that Club
licenses were relatively static since the overall licensee
totals showed little growth or decline in numbers?

73, Len AF6AY

I agree that this is a very non-intuitive result at first glance. One
reasonable explanation would appear to be that there was a lot of
pent-up demand for club licenses from over the relatively long period of
time during which they were not issued, which was from at least 1978 to
1995. The official FCC answer on the subject of club and special (i.e.,
"Vanity") callsigns during that time was that it was too much of an
administrative burden to grant them. The FCC was also using a
relatively inflexible, legacy Honeywell system to track and issue
amateur radio licenses. Those that held licenses during that time,
licenses that were impact-printed on smudgy carbon "burst" forms, might
note that they were only issued one day a week (Thursday, I believe).
Existing club licenses could be renewed, but if they expired and passed
out of their grace period without renewal, they could not be reissued.
I understand that the grandfathered club licenses were tracked by the
FCC manually in an index card catalog.

I can attest personally to the fact that when members of the local
amateur radio and USAF veterans' communities noticed that the FCC was
going to allow club licenses and vanity callsigns again, they jumped at
the chance to recover a couple of them that had expired many years ago.
This included the base MARS/military-recreation station at Offutt Air
Force Base, K0AIR, and the personal Nebraska callsign of General Curtis
LeMay when he was the Commander-in-Chief of Strategic Air Command,
K0GRL. The club that was formed to hold these callsigns, and use them
for special events like Veteran's Day/General LeMay's birthday, has a
home page at:

http://www.sacmarc.org

Other local clubs availed themselves of the opportunity to obtain
special, distinctive callsigns for repeaters, contest stations, to honor
deceased members who made significant contributions to the
hobby/service, and the like. I think that the FCC has struck an
appropriate balance between allowing a reasonable number of such club
callsigns for legitimate use (such as to identify different stations or
operational missions and resources) on one hand, versus discouraging
callsign hoarding/banking on the other. I feel that it is appropriate
to recover distinctive callsigns to honor deceased amateurs who made
significant contributions to the hobby/service, and place them in
special trust/usage. As long as it doesn't degrade to the point that
huge swaths of desirable callsigns are taken out of use for other
amateurs. I recall a "Tank McNamara" comic strip some years back with
two team managers looking out over the starting lineup of a baseball
game. One says to the other something like, "Maybe we should stop
retiring numbers," as all of the players had increasingly lengthy, and
tiny, numbers on the backs of their uniforms.

- --
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

AF6AY April 3rd 07 06:11 PM

March 9 2007 License Numbers

On Apr 2, 10:21�am, Paul W. Schleck " wrote:

In . com "AF6AY" writes:

*[...]

[...]

The period between 1995 and 2007 is twelve years.

In that interim there have been a number of abuses of the Vanity
callsign system, most notably by Roy Tucker of southern
California who once had the Tucker family holding 41 callsigns,
all at the same street-city address. That is now down to a mere
twenty or so. :-)

History of the Vanity callsign system noted, the FCC now has a
nice page on its website for applications of Vanity callsigns as
well
as renewals and other administrative changes. The FCC will
immediately accept and process credit card fees for a Vanity
call ($20.80) through another govenment agency link but they
also explain that "it may take weeks to fully process [them]."

73, Len AF6AY

Paul W. Schleck[_3_] April 3rd 07 07:47 PM

In .com "AF6AY" writes:

On Apr 2, 10:21�am, Paul W. Schleck " wrote:

In . com "AF6AY" writes:

*[...]

[...]

That's true. So, it's probably not the only explanation, especially if
annual growth of club licenses has been increasing recently. In my
opinion, other plausible explanations based on more recent trends could
include:

- More amateurs being aware of the opportunity to establish club
stations (I know there's been recent debate in many forums regarding
how long it takes word of FCC action to trickle down into the general
amateur radio population and become common knowledge. It's probably
not twelve years, but it might not be 30 days, either.)

- Fewer bureaucratic hurdles to obtaining amateur radio licenses in
general, due to a debugged Universal Licensing System, VEC
handling of club licensing applications, and clearer documentation by
the FCC, the ARRL, and other entities regarding how to apply for and
renew licenses

- An aging amateur radio population that desires to establish more
legacies for callsigns held either by clubs or notable individuals

- A fear that another embargo of similar or greater length might happen
in the foreseeable future

- A desire to establish club stations for Elmering/recruiting purposes,
or to give amateurs of modest means or those under antenna
restrictions access to more capable stations at all bands including
HF, especially in light of licensing requirement changes

- Or even just clearer and more permissive feedback from the
FCC concerning clubs obtaining 1 or more callsigns, both by statement,
and by enforcement action, or lack thereof (see link below)

In that interim there have been a number of abuses of the Vanity
callsign system, most notably by Roy Tucker of southern
California who once had the Tucker family holding 41 callsigns,
all at the same street-city address. That is now down to a mere
twenty or so. :-)

In addition to flexing some welcome enforcement muscle against obvious
abusers like the Tuckers, the FCC was also kind enough to make a
clarification of policy about 8 years ago:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/99/0709/#hollingsworth

so club license applicants may no longer feel that they would be making
themselves the "guinea pig" or "test case."

- --
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key