RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   multi mode digtilasignal dection and decoding (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170534-multi-mode-digtilasignal-dection-decoding.html)

an old freind March 10th 07 09:03 PM

multi mode digtilasignal dection and decoding

in the last couple of weeks as I have been exploring HF I fihave found
it frustrating that I I am lloking say looking for PSK 31 I hear
something else (that I don't KNOW what else is part of the problem)
and try to shift mode and programs to try and read that signal but it
may be gon efore I figure out which type and varraint it is

what are the issues with current computer speeds and tech etc in
developing software that can foucs on a given mode that are currently
interested but able to detect and decoded several other (even if less
well than the focus mode) so you could tell what they are and what
they just said

Mike Coslo March 11th 07 04:03 AM

multi mode digtilasignal dection and decoding

"an old freind" wrote in
oups.com:

in the last couple of weeks as I have been exploring HF I fihave found
it frustrating that I I am lloking say looking for PSK 31 I hear
something else (that I don't KNOW what else is part of the problem)
and try to shift mode and programs to try and read that signal but it
may be gon efore I figure out which type and varraint it is

What you are probably hearing is one of the robot PACTOR stations
or perhaps a rtty station, and yes it is a problem for PSK31 operators

what are the issues with current computer speeds and tech etc in
developing software that can foucs on a given mode that are currently
interested but able to detect and decoded several other (even if less
well than the focus mode) so you could tell what they are and what
they just said

There is one program that will identify and shift modes to another
station's mode, but it relies on the other station using the same
software. It was covered in this past mont's QST. It probably isn't all t
that helpful if all parties have to run the same software.

It should not be an impossible task to design software that can
auto identify the various digital transmission modes. It is less likely
that we would want to auto-switch, as we'll likely be operating in one
mode at any given time.

Here is a link that can help you identify the way that various modes
sound:

http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

Other info is that PSK tends to little "islands":

160 meters: 1838 KHz
80 3580 KHz
40 7035 KHz
40 7080 KHz
30 10142 KHz
20 14070 KHz
17 18100 KHz
15 21080 KHZ
15 21070 KHZ
12 24920 KHZ
10 28120 KHz

Try 20 meters first - it is the busiest PSK band

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -