RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   ?portable rigs? (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170544-portable-rigs.html)

ml March 17th 07 01:28 PM

?portable rigs?

hi

I was thinking about getting a very small radio to use backpack /travel
portable

small size is what i am after but i also want more than flea power
..(ie 20w) in fact 100 is my target. and all bands

i thought about the 897d it' a great rig has everything i need (all
band but weighs a ton

the 857mobile rig or 100d might be a possibility

the sgc i believe is discontinued?

but wanted to see if anybody know of any other rigs out there i might
have over looked

Alex Flinsch[_2_] March 17th 07 03:06 PM

?portable rigs?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:28:37 -0600, ml wrote:

hi

I was thinking about getting a very small radio to use backpack /travel
portable

small size is what i am after but i also want more than flea power
.(ie 20w) in fact 100 is my target. and all bands

i thought about the 897d it' a great rig has everything i need (all
band but weighs a ton

the 857mobile rig or 100d might be a possibility

the sgc i believe is discontinued?

The SGC 2020 is discontinued, as is the Yaesu FT-100D

The 857 is essentially the same rig as the 897 without the battery pack,
once you add in a battery for portable use, the weight will be about the
same. One advantage of the 897 is that has bigger controls than the 857.

Personally I use a Icom 703 for portable work. 10 Watts is enough most of
the time.

--

Alex/AB2RC

Phil Kane March 19th 07 12:31 AM

?portable rigs?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:28:37 CST, ml wrote:

I was thinking about getting a very small radio to use backpack /travel
portable

small size is what i am after but i also want more than flea power
.(ie 20w) in fact 100 is my target. and all bands

but wanted to see if anybody know of any other rigs out there i might
have over looked

You seem to have overlooked the Elecraft line of HF transceivers. Mine
packs 100W all bands all modes into a very small package.
Check out their site at www.elecraft.com

WARNING - Cheap they are not. You get what you pay for.
--
Phil Kane
Beaverton, OR