RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Icom PS125 (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170565-icom-ps125.html)

J D April 5th 07 07:52 PM

Icom PS125

A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me trouble now
and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of getting one for
the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable with the V8000?

JD

[email protected] April 5th 07 10:08 PM

Icom PS125

On Apr 5, 12:52 pm, "J D" wrote:
A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me trouble now
and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of getting one for
the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable with the V8000?

JD

The Icom V8000 is not legal for use on business band.

73, de Hans, K0HB

AF6AY April 6th 07 04:25 AM

Icom PS125

From: on Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:08:48 EDT

On Apr 5, 12:52 pm, "J D" wrote:

A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me trouble now
and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of getting one for
the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable with the V8000?

The Icom V8000 is not legal for use on business band.

The V8000 transmitter will only output on the 2m band. Its
receiver already tunes 136 to 174 MHz, stock.

While the PS-125 outputs 13.8 VDC @ 25 A maximum, the connectors
of that and the V8000 aren't compatible. I got mine at no extra
cost on an Icom deal through end of March, but the normal by-itself
price is $300, too much for my thinking; there's plenty of 13 VDC
@ 25 A regulated supplies out on the market. PS-125 case is styled
to match the Pro line and the smaller mobiles (used at home) and
looks nice.

The V8000 needs only a 15 A maximum 13 VDC supply (1 A on
receive) so a PS-125 would be running cool at home. All current
Icom manuals, brochures, spec. sheets are downloadable at

www.icomamerica.com

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 6th 07 07:05 AM

Icom PS125

On Apr 5, 9:25 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:

On Apr 5, 12:52 pm, "J D" wrote:

A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. .

The V8000 transmitter will only output on the 2m band. Its
receiver already tunes 136 to 174 MHz, stock.

With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author, the V8000 will
both transmit and receive in the range 136 - 174MHz. It's use on
"business band" is then possible, but not legal, without regard to the
power supply selected.

73, de Hans, K0HB

xxx April 6th 07 06:33 PM

Icom PS125

With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author, the V8000 will
both transmit and receive in the range 136 - 174MHz. It's use on
"business band" is then possible, but not legal, without regard to the
power supply selected.

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Dee Flint April 6th 07 07:38 PM

Icom PS125

"xxx" wrote in message
With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author, the V8000 will
both transmit and receive in the range 136 - 174MHz. It's use on
"business band" is then possible, but not legal, without regard to the
power supply selected.

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Wouldn't the radio have to be type accepted (or whatever it's called) to be
used on the business band?

Dee, N8UZE

Ivor Jones April 7th 07 01:41 AM

Icom PS125

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"xxx" wrote in message
With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author,
the V8000 will both transmit and receive in the range
136 - 174MHz. It's use on "business band" is then
possible, but not legal, without regard to the power
supply selected.

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of
certification or are you assuming that the original
poster lacks a business band license?

Wouldn't the radio have to be type accepted (or whatever
it's called) to be used on the business band?

Dee, N8UZE

I don't know about US legal requirements (FCC..?) but here in the UK it's
a requirement that *ALL* radio transmitting equipment is type approved,
with the sole exception of that used by radio amateurs (and, I believe,
the military, but not sure on that one).

We are exempt because we have passed the necessary examinations to show we
have the technical knowledge to modify transmitting equipment without
causing interference to other users of the radio spectrum.

73 Ivor G6URP

[email protected] April 7th 07 04:59 AM

Icom PS125

On Apr 6, 11:33 am, xxx wrote:

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Radio transmitters used on business band must be FCC approved
("certificated") for that service. The ICOM in question is not.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Bruce in Alaska April 7th 07 07:25 PM

Icom PS125

In article . com,
wrote:

On Apr 6, 11:33 am, xxx wrote:

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Radio transmitters used on business band must be FCC approved
("certificated") for that service. The ICOM in question is not.

73, de Hans, K0HB

The Phrase in question is "Type Accepted", and ALL Transmitters licensed
under Part 90, 80, 20, and a few others, MUST be Type Accepted by the
FCC, to be marketed, Imported, and sold, in the US. Any person may
modify any piece of equipment they choose, HOWEVER, said modification
MAY void the Type Acceptance for that piece of equipment, and therefor
make it a violation of the Licensing Conditions as specified on the
Station License granted by the FCC.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

[email protected] April 7th 07 11:21 PM

Icom PS125

On Apr 7, 12:25 pm, Bruce in Alaska wrote:

The Phrase in question is "Type Accepted",

"Type Accepted" (or "Type Acceptance") is an outdated term, replaced
in FCC regs with the term "Certificated".

73, de Hans, K0HB

Phil Kane April 8th 07 02:52 AM

Icom PS125

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:25:28 EDT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

The Phrase in question is "Type Accepted", and ALL Transmitters licensed
under Part 90, 80, 20, and a few others, MUST be Type Accepted by the
FCC, to be marketed, Imported, and sold, in the US. Any person may
modify any piece of equipment they choose, HOWEVER, said modification
MAY void the Type Acceptance for that piece of equipment, and therefor
make it a violation of the Licensing Conditions as specified on the
Station License granted by the FCC.

Hey, Bruce, things have changed since the days when we looked for the
FCC Form 452-C on each transmitter (a tag stating the name of the
licensee and the call sign of the station that it was licensed under).
Quite a while back, the FCC changed the level for Land Mobile (and
other services') transmitters from "Type Acceptance" to
"Certification" meaning that the manufacturers need not send the test
data to the FCC and wait for the Type Acceptance to be issued but can
self-test and certify that it meets specs, with test data made
available if there is a question. This was because the industry
complained that it was taking too long to process Type Acceptance
applications, and the Commish' took the easy way out and changed the
level rather than to do what should have been done, namely hire more
examiners to make the process more timely.

Oh, the requirement for the 452-C is gone as well. More
"privatization"....
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

xxx April 8th 07 03:02 AM

Icom PS125

In article om,

"Type Accepted" (or "Type Acceptance") is an outdated term, replaced
in FCC regs with the term "Certificated".

While the term may have been purged from the R&R, I have seen it in
the current question pool for commercial licenses. Element 1 has a
question (#12) that reads:

Q: "What is a requirement of all marine transmitting apparatus used
aboard United States vessels?"

A: "Only equipment that has been type accepted by the FCC for Part 80
operations is authorized."

J D April 8th 07 09:47 AM

Icom PS125

"J D" wrote in message
A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion
(136-174 mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me
trouble now and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of
getting one for the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable
with the V8000?

JD

Well............ Im not one for ruffling the FCC's feathers..... so I wont
operate on the business band with my Icom V8000 ;-) .....Is there an online
study guide where a person can obtain the information required to get a ham
license?

JD

Steve Bonine April 8th 07 01:04 PM

Icom PS125

J D wrote:

Is there an online
study guide where a person can obtain the information required to get a ham
license?

Some of these are not online study guides, but instead old fashioned
paper books:
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/lm/
http://www.hamtestonline.com/
https://secure.qrz.com/store/w5yi/index.html
http://www.hamradio-online.com/firstlicense.html

Free practice exams available at:
http://www.eham.net/exams/
http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

You can download the question pools at
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

Phil Kane April 9th 07 06:57 PM

Icom PS125

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:02:19 EDT, xxx wrote:

In article om,

"Type Accepted" (or "Type Acceptance") is an outdated term, replaced
in FCC regs with the term "Certificated".

While the term may have been purged from the R&R, I have seen it in
the current question pool for commercial licenses. Element 1 has a
question (#12) that reads:

Q: "What is a requirement of all marine transmitting apparatus used
aboard United States vessels?"

A: "Only equipment that has been type accepted by the FCC for Part 80
operations is authorized."

Type Acceptance is still required for Marine equipment, as is a
General Radiotelephone Operator License to repair and adjust same.

We were discussing Land Mobile equipment, where the level of equipment
certification was reduced from Type Accepted to Certificated several
years ago, as was deletion of the requirement for a commercial license
to repair or adjust same
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Bruce in Alaska April 10th 07 08:18 PM

Icom PS125

In article ,
Phil Kane wrote:

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:02:19 EDT, xxx wrote:

In article om,

"Type Accepted" (or "Type Acceptance") is an outdated term, replaced
in FCC regs with the term "Certificated".

While the term may have been purged from the R&R, I have seen it in
the current question pool for commercial licenses. Element 1 has a
question (#12) that reads:

Q: "What is a requirement of all marine transmitting apparatus used
aboard United States vessels?"

A: "Only equipment that has been type accepted by the FCC for Part 80
operations is authorized."

Type Acceptance is still required for Marine equipment, as is a
General Radiotelephone Operator License to repair and adjust same.

We were discussing Land Mobile equipment, where the level of equipment
certification was reduced from Type Accepted to Certificated several
years ago, as was deletion of the requirement for a commercial license
to repair or adjust same
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

and also for Part 87 Radio equipment. (Aeronautical) This is due to
International Treaties which the USA is signitory....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @