RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   APRS and Igate (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/171043-aprs-igate.html)

KI6SFG July 31st 08 02:32 AM

APRS and Igate

I am new here and as an amateur, I am interested in setting up an Igate and
am looking for some assistance or advice. I am hoping that someone will
take the time to walk me through the necessary steps. I have my packet
radio working and can get position reports, however there seems to be some
big holes. Maybe if we cover the basics here then we can get more folks to
do this and fill in the holes.
Gary KI6SFG

KC4UAI July 31st 08 02:35 PM

APRS and Igate

On Jul 30, 8:32 pm, "KI6SFG" wrote:
. Maybe if we cover the basics here then we can get more folks to
do this and fill in the holes.

Well APRS and packet in general has been kind of a dying part of the
hobby for years. I'm not sure exactly why that is, perhaps the data
rates are a bit slow and the technology is a bit out of date. I think
APRS is nice, although a bit expensive to get going, as is D-Star
which has data features too.

The problem really is that it takes enough operators in an area to
reach "critical mass" where communications are fairly consistant and
wide spread enough to be useful. Some major cities have enough
repeaters but a lot of the rural areas will be very spotty coverage.

I think that packet just didn't quite make it to critical mass in a
lot of areas before it started hitting the decline. Now with the
newer modes comming online (and comerical data services) it 's going
to be hard to get enough interest in Packet generated to get it up
past critical mass on a national scale.

Doesn't mean it's not useful as it is, or that you cannot have a lot
of fun playing with it though. I have an old 2M rig that I've intended
to get a TNC for so I could play on packet too. Right now the $$
isn't in the checking acount and the spare time is nowhere to be seen.

-= Bob =-

Bill Horne[_4_] July 31st 08 09:34 PM

APRS and Igate

KI6SFG wrote:
I am new here and as an amateur, I am interested in setting up an Igate
and am looking for some assistance or advice. I am hoping that someone
will take the time to walk me through the necessary steps. I have my
packet radio working and can get position reports, however there seems
to be some big holes. Maybe if we cover the basics here then we can get
more folks to do this and fill in the holes.
Gary KI6SFG

Gary,

I suggest you get an old PC, put Linux on it, and become very familiar
with the OS. Then, compile a custom kernel that includes the AX.25
features and leaves out what you don't need.

Keep it simple and small: you risk losing interest if you try too much
at once.

73, Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)

Michael Coslo July 31st 08 09:35 PM

APRS and Igate

KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:32 pm, "KI6SFG" wrote:
. Maybe if we cover the basics here then we can get more folks to
do this and fill in the holes.

Well APRS and packet in general has been kind of a dying part of the
hobby for years. I'm not sure exactly why that is, perhaps the data
rates are a bit slow and the technology is a bit out of date. I think
APRS is nice, although a bit expensive to get going, as is D-Star
which has data features too.

While packet has been at rock bottom for a while, APRS is really quite
busy, and growing. In Pennsylvania, we have a lot of stations on the
air. So many stations in fact that it is usually a big help to filter
some of them out.

For a demo, there are some web sites out there that take APRS info from
the RF side, and map it out on a webpage. literally thousands of APRS
signals.

I think that packet just didn't quite make it to critical mass in a
lot of areas before it started hitting the decline. Now with the
newer modes comming online (and comerical data services) it 's going
to be hard to get enough interest in Packet generated to get it up
past critical mass on a national scale.

Packet in the old sense, that of sending email and bulletins, has pretty
much gone by the wayside, but fortunately APRS has arrived to keep
things busy.

Gary, I can help you get something on the air. A few questions first.

Ar you right at the beginning, ie no rig, no gps, no software, or do you
have something in mind? That will give us someplace to start.

- 73 d eMike N3LI -

KI6SFG July 31st 08 09:35 PM

APRS and Igate

I think APRS is nice, although a bit expensive to get going, as is D-Star
which has data features too.

I bought my 2 meter set up from Byonics (http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/)
and have it up and working for less than $200.

I have read that the only equipment required for an Igate was a receiver, a
computer with a sound card and an internet connection. I have a scanner
that covers 144.39 and a internet computer with a sound card. However I
have not been able to get the software to function yet. This guy makes it
sound easy (http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/igate.htm).

There must be some I gates around the area because there are Hams showing up
on APRS.fi

I am still trying to understand TNC terminal node controllers and what they
do. I have a lot to learn.

Gary

Michael Coslo July 31st 08 10:02 PM

APRS and Igate

KI6SFG wrote:

I think APRS is nice, although a bit expensive to get going, as is D-Star
which has data features too.

I bought my 2 meter set up from Byonics
(http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/) and have it up and working for less
than $200.

I have read that the only equipment required for an Igate was a
receiver, a computer with a sound card and an internet connection. I
have a scanner that covers 144.39 and a internet computer with a sound
card. However I have not been able to get the software to function
yet. This guy makes it sound easy
(http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/igate.htm).

There must be some I gates around the area because there are Hams
showing up on APRS.fi

I am still trying to understand TNC terminal node controllers and what
they do. I have a lot to learn.

Your basic station requirements:

A 2 meter rig.

A TNC, either software or hardware

A GPS antenna/reciever - not needed if you are setting up a base
station, but pretty necessary if you are going mobile.

There are some freeware packages out there, like UIview but I went for
APRSview, a commercial product. It can include a copy of MapPoint.

My system is as follows:

Microsoft Streets and Trips running on a laptop in conjunction with
MapPoint and APRSpoint. They all mesh together.

I use the GPS receiver included in Streets and trips. I'm no fan of
Microsoft, but this is one of their best products, and the receiver is
very good. I get connected within seconds almost always. Faster than the
other units I've seen anyhow.

The APRSpoint software has a software TNC, so I don't have to use one of
those.

My radio is a Kenwood D-700, probably the best unit to use for APRS. It
does have a built in TNC, but I don't use it for my setup. If you use
UIview, or the built in APRS setup within the D-700, you'll want that
built in TNC. plus the APRS antenna would have to be plugged directly
into the D-700 for the alternative setup..

With this setup, I can send and track over a wide range area while
mobile. This is another area where the D-700 shines. I highly recommend
it or it's successor, the D-710. Not cheap radios, but if you are
serious about APRS, they are the gold standard. You can use the radio
for voice comms at the same time you are squawcking APRS. 50 watts
output into an efficient 2 meter antenna, and I can hit a APRS repeater
from most places in Pennsylvania.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

KC4UAI August 1st 08 04:41 AM

APRS and Igate

On Jul 31, 4:02 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
KI6SFG wrote:

Your basic station requirements:

A 2 meter rig.

Check... OLD Icom 2 Meter rig and suitable antenna for moble use.

A TNC, either software or hardware

Um... You say software? What is out there? I know they have software
for the HF digital modes, but I didn't see anything for the VHF/UHF
stuff... I have the laptop to run it on, and I can run both Linux or
Windoz on it...

A GPS antenna/reciever - not needed if you are setting up a base
station, but pretty necessary if you are going mobile.

Again Check....

The APRSpoint software has a software TNC, so I don't have to use one of
those.

I would assume that you would need some way to key the transmitter and
the proper cables between the radio and the computer (in my case it
will be a laptop).

I guess all I need is some software TNC. Wow, maybe the time will
show up soon.. A hardware TNC is hard to hide from the XYL, but
software is easy... :)

-= bob =-

KI6SFG August 1st 08 04:41 AM

APRS and Igate

Keep it simple and small: you risk losing interest if you try too much at
once.

Thanks for the comments, I found the yahoo group for UI-view. They are more
specific to what I am looking for.

Gary

Jeffrey D Angus August 1st 08 06:45 AM

APRS and Igate

KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:02 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

A TNC, either software or hardware

Um... You say software? What is out there?

I know it's a bit dated, but an example of a software TNC
would be the Baycom modem that was used with the Commodore
C-64 computer. Simply a tone modem IC and the actual bit
shuffling was done by the computer.

Kind of like the WinModem for the PC that let the computer
do all the "what's this" stuff and made the modems totally
useless under anything other than the Windows OS.

I guess all I need is some software TNC. Wow, maybe the time will
show up soon.. A hardware TNC is hard to hide from the XYL, but
software is easy... :)

They make small TNCs, the Tigertronics Baypac comes to mind.

http://www.tigertronics.com/73magbp1.htm

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

KI6SFG August 1st 08 03:34 PM

APRS and Igate

Gary,

I suggest you get an old PC, put Linux on it, and become very familiar
with the OS. Then, compile a custom kernel that includes the AX.25
features and leaves out what you don't need.

Keep it simple and small: you risk losing interest if you try too much at
once.

73, Bill W1AC

Bill, I am wondering why linux as apposed to windows? Are you just trying
to keep the system simple and inexpensive?

Could you explain a little more about the AX.25?

I downloaded the IU-view software and loaded it on to my desktop computer.
I understood that with a radio that would receive 144.39 (in my case a
scanner) that I could use the computer's sound card and IU-view to port
packet signals on to the internet? I am not interested in transmitting from
home at this point, just receiving signals and getting them to APRS.fi.

Gary