Old August 8th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.info

Default MDC QSO Party THIS WEEKEND!!!

Don't miss out on the fun. Put our ARRL Maryland-DC Section on the air
this weekend on HF, VHF and UHF. It runs from noon Saturday to
midnight, then noon Sunday to 8 p.m.

For guidelines, suggested frequencies and rules please visit their
website at: http://www.w3cwc.org/2009rules.htm.

Thanks to the Antietam Radio Association for handling the Maryland-DC
QSO Party for the last twenty years. The time and effort that they
have put into it exemplify the Special Service Club designation that
they hold.

And thanks to the Anne Arundel Radio Club for taking on the QSO Party
for the next decade. It's really great to have clubs willing to step
up and keep a good thing going.

Look forward to working lots of you on the air this weekend!

73, Jim Cross WI3N
SM MDC

Old August 9th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

On Aug 8, 9:37 am, ARRL MDC Section wrote:
Don't miss out on the fun. Put our ARRL Maryland-DC Section on the air
this weekend on HF, VHF and UHF. It runs from noon Saturday to
midnight, then noon Sunday to 8 p.m.

I hope it goes well for you and you have much fun!

For guidelines, suggested frequencies and rules please visit their
website at: http://www.w3cwc.org/2009rules.htm.

I"m a bit puzzled by this; the rules say "Phone and CW (includes
digital modes in CW) are allowed." About the only mode I *do* work
from home these days is PSK-31. That's a digital mode ... but it
utilizes AF frequencies, so I'm assuming it's not allowed for the
contest. Is RTTY allowed? That WAS basically a two-frequency CW mode
originally, right? So even though most of us now use AF and a
computer soundcard, RTTY would be allowed for the Maryland contest?

Old August 9th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

"Ken AC4RD" wrote in message

I"m a bit puzzled by this; the rules say "Phone and CW (includes
digital modes in CW) are allowed." About the only mode I *do* work
from home these days is PSK-31. That's a digital mode ... but it
utilizes AF frequencies, so I'm assuming it's not allowed for the
contest. Is RTTY allowed? That WAS basically a two-frequency CW mode
originally, right? So even though most of us now use AF and a
computer soundcard, RTTY would be allowed for the Maryland contest?

The rule is somewhat ambiguous.

As I read it, it would seem that a digital entry competes (and is scored) as
a CW entry.

--
73, de Hans, K0HB

Old August 10th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

As I read it, it would seem that a digital entry competes (and is scored) as
a CW entry.
73, de Hans, K0HB

I wondered about that, but as it turned out, I didn't spend much time
with the radio this weekend, and I'm a little close to Maryland (North
Carolina) for propagation, most of the day.

BTW, unless I am grievously mistaken (which does happen), I recognize
your name and call from the old Fidonet ham echos! Remember those
long-ago days? Nice to see you still active, Hans! 73!
--ken ac4rd