RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   steel telegraph key bases (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/171457-steel-telegraph-key-bases.html)

David Griffith December 12th 10 08:58 AM

steel telegraph key bases

Where can I get a steel base plate for a Speed-X telegraph key? The
aluminum one is too light.

--
David Griffith
--- Put my last name where it belongs

jerry December 12th 10 06:59 PM

steel telegraph key bases

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 03:58:12 -0500, David Griffith wrote:

Where can I get a steel base plate for a Speed-X telegraph key? The
aluminum one is too light.

I've got a marble key base. Nice and heavy. Go to a trophy shop and ask
if you can buy an undrilled marble base. Then you'll have to get a small
masonry bit (and a drill press really helps too). Or maybe the trophy
shop will be able to work a deal for the custom drilling too.

Fred McKenzie December 13th 10 08:24 PM

steel telegraph key bases

In article ,
jerry wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 03:58:12 -0500, David Griffith wrote:

Where can I get a steel base plate for a Speed-X telegraph key? The
aluminum one is too light.

I've got a marble key base. Nice and heavy. Go to a trophy shop and ask
if you can buy an undrilled marble base. Then you'll have to get a small
masonry bit (and a drill press really helps too). Or maybe the trophy
shop will be able to work a deal for the custom drilling too.

Jerry-

That sounds like a good stable base. Some felt glued to the bottom
would protect the finish on your desk. Stick-on furniture pads might
also work.

Make sure the base extends beneath the knob on the key. I think that
may be as important as mass.

Fred
K4DII

David Griffith December 14th 10 08:56 AM

steel telegraph key bases

jerry wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 03:58:12 -0500, David Griffith wrote:

Where can I get a steel base plate for a Speed-X telegraph key? The
aluminum one is too light.

I've got a marble key base. Nice and heavy. Go to a trophy shop and ask
if you can buy an undrilled marble base. Then you'll have to get a small
masonry bit (and a drill press really helps too). Or maybe the trophy
shop will be able to work a deal for the custom drilling too.

I thought of that, but I want something thinner than a typical marble
base. That's why I went looking for steel.