Old January 23rd 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [WB8NUT] Update on Everything

WB8NUT Blog RSS Feed

Update on Everything

http://wb8nut.com/blog/files/January...ue-entry-id-77

Yes I know I have been a bit quiet on the blog recently. And this is really
not about everything. I've actually been fairly active on DStar, DMR, and
JT-65. Messed around with a few other modes like CW, FSQ, and of course FM
on 2 and 440.

Looks like Connect Systems has finally gotten close to finishing the
firmware on the CS750 handheld and CS800 mobile radios for DMR and FM.
Still a few bugs but they are almost there. Still would like to see the
CS7000 which promises to support both DMR and DStar. Now wouldn't it be
nice to have a radio that did all the digital modes and FM? Well they say
they can get there but want to do DMR and DStar first.

Yaesu Fusion is out there and a number of people/clubs bought their
repeaters at the special price of around $500. However, our club only has
them in FM operation. I think a lot of clubs did the same thing. Not many
people using them for Fusion. Seems like DStar and DMR seem to be the
predominant digital modes. DStar still in the lead and there is still so
much more activity on DStar than DMR in my opinion. In any case, for voice,
they both do a nice job. When it comes to more than voice, DStar is still
the choice.

I am sure you all read where TenTec changed hands yet again. Fourth owner
in two years. But we have to face it, the old TenTec is gone. The new owner
of the assets of the old company promises a new more invigorated TenTec
with great products. So we'll see. However, I would not expect anything new
for at least a year. There is a lot of work to do to basically start the
company from scratch.

Rumors were that Kenwood was going to announce a DStar radio around
Thanksgiving. So far, just the sound of crickets.

Another rumor is that Alnico is going to introduce a DMR radio for hams. So
we'll see if that comes to fruition.

Since most of the nation is facing snow and cold, you might as well get on
the air and communicate with someone. Ham radio was meant for cold Winter
nights. So take advantage of the season and get on the radio!