RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   [N6PSE] Cluster abuse.. (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/238595-%5Bn6pse%5D-cluster-abuse.html)

N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin April 22nd 16 07:47 PM

[N6PSE] Cluster abuse..

n6pse

Cluster abuse..

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/cluster-abuse/

Todays topic is about why I strongly dislike DX Summit.

DX Summit was recently overhauled and much improved. Unfortunately it is
still a rather simple process to spoof or fake a submitters call sign.
While there is technology to prevent this, the owners of DX Summit have not
implemented it.

Today, my own call sign is being abused on DX Summit as it is being spoofed
to initiate fake P5 DX spots. I call upon the owners/operators of DX Summit
to fix your cluster to prevent this abuse!

What do you think?

rickman April 22nd 16 08:59 PM

[N6PSE] Cluster abuse..

On 4/22/2016 2:47 PM, N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

n6pse

Cluster abuse..

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/cluster-abuse/

Todays topic is about why I strongly dislike DX Summit.

DX Summit was recently overhauled and much improved. Unfortunately it is
still a rather simple process to spoof or fake a submitters call sign.
While there is technology to prevent this, the owners of DX Summit have
not implemented it.

Today, my own call sign is being abused on DX Summit as it is being
spoofed to initiate fake P5 DX spots. I call upon the owners/operators
of DX Summit to fix your cluster to prevent this abuse!

What do you think?

Is there really technology to prevent this? Normally it requires
substantial cryptography or validation through some key info that can be
verified.

--

Rick

Jerry Stuckle April 23rd 16 06:43 PM

[N6PSE] Cluster abuse..

On 4/22/2016 3:59 PM, rickman wrote:
[...]

I agree, rickman. I wonder what technology he's referring to. Does he
mean someone has to mail/fax a copy of his/her ham license (which could
still easily be forged, nowadays)? Or something else?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

rickman April 23rd 16 06:44 PM

[N6PSE] Cluster abuse..

[...]

So no one knows anything about the ease with which this can be spoofed?
I would have thought it would be of interest. What is the method for
establishing this connection?

--

Rick

Patty Winter April 23rd 16 06:44 PM

[N6PSE] Cluster abuse..

In article , rickman wrote:
On 4/22/2016 2:47 PM, N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

Today, my own call sign is being abused on DX Summit as it is being
spoofed to initiate fake P5 DX spots. I call upon the owners/operators
of DX Summit to fix your cluster to prevent this abuse!

Is there really technology to prevent this? Normally it requires
substantial cryptography or validation through some key info that can be
verified.

I don't use clusters much, but I was playing around on a few the other
day to find NPOTA stations, and all I had to do when I connected was enter
a callsign. I used my own calsign, of course, but none of the systems I
used (all of them using one of three telnet-accessible software platforms)
required me to verify that I was the true owner of that callsign. And how
could they, unless, as you say, they go through some sort of validation
process? (For example, like the one ARRL uses for LOTW.) And given the
distributed nature of the clusters, what governing body would implement
the authentication system?

The best I can think of in Paul's case is for the cluster website to
identify the IP address of the spoofer and block them--or at least,
block them from using Paul's callsign.

Patty N6BIS