Old April 24th 16, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] W8BY, SK

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

W8BY, SK

A couple of months ago, I was saddened to learn of the death of Gwynn
Suits, W8BY. His memorial service was held just this morning.Â*Heres Gwynns
obituary from the local news website:

Suits, Gwynn H. 11/17/1922 1/19/2016 Ann Arbor Gwynn Halyburton Suits, 93
of Ann Arbor, Michigan passed away Tuesday, January 19 at his home at
Glacier Hills Senior Living Community. He was born November 17, 1922 in St.
Louis, Missouri, the third of six sons, to Hollis E. and Dorothy
(Halyburton) Suits of Kirkwood, Missouri. He received his B.S., M.A., and
PhD. in Physics from the University of Michigan. He conducted
groundbreaking research in the field of remote sensing at the Environmental
Research Institute of Michigan and its predecessor Willow Run Laboratories,
holding patents for his work. In addition, he taught Remote Sensing at the
University of Michigan and while on sabbatical conducted research at the
National Research Council in Washington, DC and Johnson Space Center in
Houston, Texas. He enjoyed classical music and played viola with his family
and friends. He had a passion for amateur radio becoming licensed in 1939
and used these skills to contribute to the war effort during WWII. He was
preceded in death by his wife of 48 years, Ruth Kellogg Cheney Suits,
brothers Kingsley, McCawley, and Thaddeus Suits; and granddaughter April
Morris. He is survived by his brothers Daniel Suits and Alan (Jane Veith)
Suits, children Vivian (Richard) Grauch, Bryan (Joan) Suits, Peyton
(Deborah) Suits, and Duston (Linda) Suits; his grandchildren Christopher
and Andrew Grauch; James, William, and Robert Suits; Christina (Ernesto)
Garabito, Isaac Gaub, Charity Suits, Myriah (Kelton) Suits Leggett; and
Kathryn and Sarah Suits; seven great-grandchildren, and many nieces and
nephews.

I was surprised, and somewhat disappointed,Â*that I was the only member of
the local amateur radio community to attend. Gwynn had been a very active
member of our local club, ARROW, in the past, at one point serving as
president. Perhaps it was the unusual scheduling, the service being held
three months after his death.

I did get to meet his family, though, and they were very cordial and
interesting people in their own right. I discovered that two of his sons
and a daughter-in-law were also radio amateurs.

In recent years, Gwynn did not actively participate in our club activities.
Indeed, I never did meet him face to face, but he was a regular check-in to
our Monday night nets, and I had the pleasure of several other contacts
with him.

On the net, he enjoyed telling jokes, mostly corny jokes, told tongue
deeply in cheek.Â*One of my favorites was about an antenna party held
oneÂ*Saturday morning. The members gathered around 10 a.m. atÂ*Sams house,
and after about an hour and a half, had completed the job. As they gathered
around the table for lunch, Sam noticed that Joe was missing. Going back
outside, they found Joe still up on the roof. Hey, fella, Sam shouted up to
Joe, what are you still doing up there? Well, replied Joe, didnt you say
that the drinks were on the house?

Jokes like these were always followed by a low groan. We miss that groan on
our Monday night nets.

The post W8BY, SK appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.