Old April 25th 16, 01:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] Broke the 100 confirmations mark today!

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

Broke the 100 confirmations mark today!

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

NPOTA, that is:

I actually have about 1/2 a dozen more that haven't been confirmed yet.
According to LotW, those stations have not uploaded logs since their
activations. A few were a while ago, so I guess it's possible that maybe
they won't.

While working a few today, it was extremely embarrassing and saddening to
see so may out there have no clue on how to handle themselves in a pileup.
Guys ..... YOU HAVE TO LISTEN!

Throwing out your call sign ad nauseum without taking a moment to listen is
the number one earmark of lid-dome. Seriously, if you send out your call
ten times without taking a breath, how are you going to know if the
activator is calling you back? By the time you've stopped sending your
call, the activator has worked someone else and is calling QRZ again (and
everyone else in the pileup has taken note of your call sign - you can
count on it!). DON'T BE AN ALLIGATOR! You know, all mouth and no ears!
Throw out your call once - maybe twice max, and then open up those ear
holes and listen!

Which leads to a second and related problem. If you can't hear the station
you are trying to work, you have NO business sending out your call, in the
first place. If you can't hear the station well enough to know that he's
answering someone else - or worse, is in QSO with someone else; but you
keep sending your call anyway ..... bad scene, man, bad scene. You've
marked yourself as a QRM generator and no one likes those. Don't rely on
the Cluster. Just because DX Summit says Joe Ham is on 7.034 MHz at NPOTA
NP256 ..... if you can't hear him, then don't even try. It's a waste of
your time and everyone else in the pileup is going to think you're an idiot.

Now everyone makes an honest mistake now and then, and that's OK, But you
can tell when someone has no clue as to what they're doing. And
frighteningly, it seems to be becoming more and more common.

It's OK to be excited and enthusiastic. It's not OK to be reckless or use
poor operating practises. Use common sense, read the DX Code of Conduct and
you'll be OK.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you call to send the very least!