RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   [KB6NU] Why theres a license exam (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/239115-%5Bkb6nu%5D-why-theres-license-exam.html)

KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin August 6th 16 06:42 PM

[KB6NU] Why theres a license exam

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Why theres a license exam

On Quora, a website where people ask (and answer) all kinds of interesting
(and dumb) questions, someone asked, Why does a person still need a ham
radio license? There were the usual answers:

Without a license, amateur radio would turn into the morass that is CB.
Ensures that the operators have at least some basic understanding of radio
and the rules and regulations they need to follow.
Provides a way to more easily contact radio amateurs should they be causing
interference to other radio services.

My answer was a bit different. I knew that the reason that amateur radio
operators must pass an examination to be licensed is that its required by
international treaties, but I didnt know the specifics. So, I did a little
Googling.

I found out thatÂ*Article 25.6 2) of the ITU Radio Regulations states:

Administrations shall verify the operational and technical qualifications
of any person wishing to operate an amateur station. Guidance for standards
of competence may be found in the most recent version of Recommendation
ITU-R M.1544. (WRC-03)

ITU-R M.1544 goes on to state:

The ITU Radiocommunication Assembly recommends:

that administrations take such measures as they judge necessary to verify
the operational and technical qualifications of any person wishing to
operate an amateur station;
That any person seeking a licence to operate an amateur station should
demonstrate theoretical knowledge of:

Radio Regulations

international
domestic

Methods of radiocommunication

radiotelephony
radiotelegraphy
data and image

Radio system theory

transmitters
receivers
antennas and propagation
measurements

Radio emission safety
Electromagnetic compatibility
Avoidance and resolution of radio frequency interference.

File this under the categoryÂ*you learn something new every day.

The post Why theres a license exam appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.