RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   [KB6NU] CQ Girl Scouts (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/247927-%5Bkb6nu%5D-cq-girl-scouts.html)

KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin October 5th 17 05:33 AM

[KB6NU] CQ Girl Scouts

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

CQ Girl Scouts

Last June, while demoing amateur radio at the Ann Arbor Mini Maker Faire, I
was approached by a woman who asked if Id consider organizing an amateur
radio demo at a Girl Scout event in the fall called the International River
Crossing. This event isÂ* held in Marine City, MI, which is on the St. Clair
River, and attracts Girl Scouts from both the U.S. and Canada. While I
might have done this, Marine City is an hour and a half away, and I didnt
think I could ask my fellow Ann Arbor hams to hike all the way up there.

So, I asked Stan, AC8W, whos one of the mucky-mucks of the Eastern Michigan
ARC (EMARC). They are a lot closer than I am, and I knew theyd do a great
job.

A couple of days ago, Stan sent me the October issue of the EMARC Sparks.
Below, reprinted with Stans permission, is an article describing what they
did at the eventDan

Girl Scouts 50th Annual International River Crossing

The Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan held their annual event
International River Crossing in Marine City on September 30, 2017th Stan,
AC8W, and President Tony, KE8BIT, went down to Marine City at 7:30 a.m. and
set up a display.
Tony, KE8BIT, at the EMARC table.

Our table included a hidden transmitter (fox) and a DF antenna, a world map
with DX QSLs, a Morse code oscillator, sample Arduino kit, a QRP
transceiver and two “Paraset” Spy radios on display.

Many of the exhibitors around us had kits to build or games to play. Next
to us was the Purple Protons robotics team with two operating bots which
was very popular. Another booth had kids make a rocketfrom a sheet of
paper, seal the end and place it on a home built air pump the kid would
jump on. Flying rockets went everywhere, Great fun.

Tony, KE8BIT, showed the direction-finding equipment and explained about
the hidden transmitter. He even had a few girls find the fox. Stan, AC8W,
was busy spelling girls names in Morse Code and having them send a message
back to him. Bob, K8WMW, came down in the afternoon and helped.

Several Hams stopped by along with their Girl Scouts including KC8MSD,
VE3BBX, and the families of K1ND and KG4AK (Guantanimo Bay Cuba).

All in all a fun experience!

The post CQ Girl Scouts appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.