RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   [ZS6BNE] RaDAR - APRS (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/256476-%5Bzs6bne%5D-radar-aprs.html)

ZS6BNE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin April 12th 18 08:27 AM

[ZS6BNE] RaDAR - APRS

ZS6BNE's Blog

RaDAR - APRS

https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2018/04/12/radar-aprs/

A rather new discussion on our local forum led me to do a little research
on APRS again. I posed a few questions.Â*Interesting to see there is a
little APRS activity in South Africa.

Is it being put to good use or only an indicator of a very few vehicle
movements?

Is any messaging done through the network?

How many active weather stations are there nowadays?

What are the main coverage areas?

Are there still 300 baud HF gateways?

An answer from Andrew ZS5CEY, DMR radios with GPS can post their positions
to APRS via our Brandmeister DMR Master (providing radio set up to do
this). This also allows two-way messaging between DMR radios and APRS, and
is supposed on all the DMR repeaters. I need to do a little study on this
technology.

Paul ZS1V replied, Hamnet WC and GS both use 2m APRS during events and WC
have used it for multi-day missing persons searches with WSAR also.

I went to apsr.fi and did a few searches and was pleasantly surprised!

Cape town

Natal

and Gauteng!

Great to see all the active weather stations!

Hennie ZS6EY provided some port info, You can also connect
toÂ*http://zs6ey.no-ip.org:14501Â*on all three ports. Andy ZS5CEY also
mentioned a backup server URL, You can connect to my backup server at
http://www.easytracking.co.za and the port you want to connect to.

Maybe time to look into APRS again. I have a KAM XL lying around doing
nothing!