RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   [W2LJ] My sister knows me (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/264116-%5Bw2lj%5D-my-sister-knows-me.html)

W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin October 12th 18 01:43 AM

[W2LJ] My sister knows me

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

My sister knows me

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

My sister is four years older than me; and she knows her brother very, very
well. She's on vacation, heading towards New England and yesterday she and
her husband stopped at Hyde Park to visit the Roosevelt residence.

Last night we were texting back and forth as I was wondering how far north
they had gotten and if the leaves are changing. She sent me this:

"Here's a pic from the "Art of War" exhibit. I thought of you."

No, no, no. Of course, I'm not a WAVE nor have I ever been in the Navy.
But from hanging around her little brother, my big sister DOES know what a
bug is; and she can pick out a Morse Code apparatus when she sees one.

I've often thought that if I could somehow travel back in time, there are
two periods of American history that I'd like to eyewitness. The first
would be our Colonial and Revolutionary War period. I'm a bit of a
Revolutionary War buff and am fascinated with that era and our founding.

The second period of time I'd love to visit would be the World War II era.
To me, it would be a gas to see what the places I know so well today looked
like 60-70 years ago. To see my parents and grandparents as their younger
selves would be a blast, too. My grandparents on my Dad's side of the
family passed away before I was born. It would be nice to be able to meet
them, even if my identity had to remain anonymous. (The sci-fi fan in me
knows all about changing timelines. LOL!)

The big thing for me would be radio, of course. Television as we know it
was in its infancy and was not common. Broadcast radio was the rage.
Although Amateur Radio was shut down for the war - plenty of ops were
performing communication duties for the military. My Dad, who had no
interest in Amateur Radio whatsoever was attached to the Signal Corps and
was part of the group sent to Britain to work on the RADAR development
project. Maybe that's where my radio gene came from! If I was living back
then, I am pretty sure that I would either be doing something like that; or
if I was classified as "4F' for whatever reason, I'd probably be doing
radio repair.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!