Old August 23rd 19, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default [ZS6BNE] RaDAR - Losing sight of the goal

ZS6BNE's Blog

RaDAR - Losing sight of the goal

https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2019/08...t-of-the-goal/

The Xeigu X5105 loaded with Version 3 firmware, a failed test.

My personal goals for RaDAR is being an effective, on foot, communicator
that can move quickly to my destination and establish communications on HF
and FM Satellites within a short amount of time. This requires regular
practice.

For the past few months, HF conditions have been pretty difficult unless
youre in the right place and distance from others. Forty meters is
practically skip most of the time making NVIS comms practically non
existent. The RaDAR operator relies quite heavily on NVIS communications
much like the military.

Together with marginal conditions I have been plagued with buggy firmware
for the Xiegu X5105 for almost a year rendering my HF radio practically
useless until discovering a version that appears to work reasonably well,
November 11 2018. That has given me renewed hope for my mobile HF station.

In the mean time I have been working hard in getting my RaDAR training
ground suitable for practicing RaDAR that it be safe to walk / jog there in
the coming summer months where snakes and other dangerous things come out
to play. I have had some close encounters in the past. I believe too that
they have their place in nature.

I have also installed two permanent antennas, a 80m / 40m delta loop and a
little further away a linked dipole for 40m through to 10m. Having the
antennas permanent defeats the object of RaDAR but are there to be used
when the need arises but I still have to walk there with my radio and sit
outside in the wind or hot sun. I dont have a shack. Often Ive thought
about getting a shack radio again but that defeats my dream of being a
RaDAR operator at all times and always ready. I must build a new antenna
for the back pack that could basically do 80m / 40m / 30m and 20m. Thats
all a RaDAR operator needs really.

So with a year of being almost dormant its time to face new challenges. I
still need to cut the paths with a bush cutter and petrol lawn mower but
then playing radio in the bush is really good fun. There is not much QRM
out there either! The X5105 receiver is not the best there is but it makes
a good trail radio and therefore ideal for RaDAR.

Spring is on its way and already the leaves on the trees are starting to
show and it hasnt even started raining yet! Ive built a small fireplace
amongst some trees in the bush and putting up some shade and a table and a
chair which may be an ideal place for field day operations and being a
portable station. I dont always have to do the moving thing. QRP only of
course.

Its become too easy now or maybe a necessity to use high power but really
my belief has always been that QRP is sufficient if conditions are
favorable. It can be quite demoralizing though hearing a station booming
through at 59 PLUS and they cant hear me or the worst hear something and
ask me to try again later. The opportunity presents itself, look out for
the little stations were not all running 100W and more.