RadioBanter

-   -   Radio Modifications (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/114605-radio-modifications.html)

KE5MBX January 31st 07 06:00 PM

Radio Modifications

Is it legal to modify a 2-meter amateur radio transceiver to transmit
on all frequencies it can receive? It seems to me that such a
modification could be useful in case of an emergency. Additionally,
as long as the power is limited to 2 watts, it should be legal on MURS
bands, right?

Nelson Blaha

KC4UAI January 31st 07 08:46 PM

Radio Modifications

On Jan 31, 12:00 pm, "KE5MBX" wrote:
Is it legal to modify a 2-meter amateur radio transceiver to transmit
on all frequencies it can receive? It seems to me that such a
modification could be useful in case of an emergency. Additionally,
as long as the power is limited to 2 watts, it should be legal on MURS
bands, right?

First question, is it legal to modify your 2 meter rig... Yes, but
that does not make it legal to actually use on these new frequencies.
Other radio services generally require FCC certification of the
equipment for it to be used legally. For example, you can modify your
10 Meter rig to have the capacity to transmit on 11 Meters (CB) but
you legally cannot transmit on the new frequencies unless your radio
is certified for that service (which it won't be in this case.)

Ham Radio enjoys the privilege to build and modify equipment for Part
97 operation without formal certification, so you can take a CB and re-
tune it to 10 Meters if you want, just not the other way. Also you can
only do this on a limited basis. For instance, you can build an HF
amplifier for your own use without FCC certification, but once you
start building them to sell you must get FCC certification for a part
97 device.

For your second question:

No, it would not be legal to use a Part 97 certified device (modified
or not) in any other service that required use of FCC certified
equipment. Part 95 (MURS) specifically requires that equipment being
used is certified for that Part and does not allow equipment certified
under other parts to be used. Your Part 97 certified 2 meter rig,
modified to use on Part 95 frequencies would be illegal.

Now, would the FCC care in the case of a true emergency? I doubt they
would. But it's a chance you are taking. I don't care to loose my hard
won license this way...

-= bob =-

KE5MBX February 1st 07 01:58 AM

Radio Modifications

On Jan 31, 2:46 pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
[...]

I agree on the MURS part after doing some reading. Seems to me though
that "you may use any means at your disposal in case of an emergency"
as the tech test says. I think you would even be legal in an
emergency.

Dee Flint February 1st 07 02:28 AM

Radio Modifications

"KE5MBX" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 31, 2:46 pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
[...]

The catch is that the authorities define what constitutes a sufficiently
severe emergency to warrant it not you.

Dee, N8UZE

Cecil Moore February 1st 07 01:40 PM

Radio Modifications

KE5MBX wrote:
I agree on the MURS part after doing some reading. Seems to me though
that "you may use any means at your disposal in case of an emergency"
as the tech test says. I think you would even be legal in an
emergency.

I once ran out of gas on I10 in West Texas at night
during sub-freezing weather. After trying 146.52 for
about 20 minutes with no response, I considered that
to be enough of an emergency to tune my IC-706 to 4w
AM on the CB trucker's channel and ask for help.
A kind trucker gave me a lift to the next town and
another trucker gave me a lift back to my vehicle.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

an old fiend February 1st 07 04:22 PM

Radio Modifications

"KE5MBX" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it legal to modify a 2-meter amateur radio transceiver to transmit
on all frequencies it can receive? It seems to me that such a
modification could be useful in case of an emergency. Additionally,
as long as the power is limited to 2 watts, it should be legal on MURS
bands, right?

Nelson Blaha

parinoioa prehaps?

an old fiend February 1st 07 04:24 PM

Radio Modifications

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"KE5MBX" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 31, 2:46 pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
[...]

truer words are not likely to be soken

an old fiend February 1st 07 05:21 PM

gte hlep

"an old friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 31, 9:28 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:
"KE5MBX" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 31, 2:46 pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
[...]

but they do so in theory in accordance with the standards laid out in
the rules
which define an emergency roughly as anything the endagering life or
the safety of property a fairly broad standard

and did even this receive some expantion to include health and welfare
traffic by folks working outside their preveldges recently?

you sil aint me woger

KC4UAI February 2nd 07 08:50 PM

Radio Modifications

On Jan 31, 7:58 pm, "KE5MBX" I agree on the
MURS part after doing some reading. Seems to me though
that "you may use any means at your disposal in case of an emergency"
as the tech test says. I think you would even be legal in an
emergency.

Yea, sorry I didn't make that clear... In a true emergency you would
be "legal".. But how I define a true emergency and how the FCC does
may be different and I don't intend to argue the point with them
unless it's *really* clear cut. (and I don't have a working cell phone
on my person at the time.)

Personally, I'd expect to get better results on 2 Meters than
expecting somebody on the MURS service to help. I'd also expect that
if you are in a location where nobody is listening to the repeaters,
nobody is going to be hearing you on MURS bands either. I just don't
see the purpose in doing the modification myself.

A more useful way to deal with this is to add more ham bands to your
mobile capabilities. 10 Meters, 6 Meters and 440 are all good mobile
options. That and a recent copy of the Repeater Directory will get
you more help in almost all cases I can think of.

-= bob =-

KE5MBX February 2nd 07 09:33 PM

Radio Modifications

On Feb 2, 2:50 pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
[...]

Well, the idea for emergencies is not so much the MURS as the police
frequencies. Thanks for your opinion.

Nelson