RadioBanter

-   -   On apostrophes (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/118138-apostrophes.html)

Dave Heil April 15th 07 04:59 PM

On apostrophes

"John Smith" insists that his version of using the apostrophe is
correct. Those pointing out his mistaken ideas are called morons and
imbeciles. Three seconds of Google search brings enlightenment.

For the apostrophe-challenged from:

http://www.write101.com/sample.htm

1. To show OMISSION

What's a nice kid like me doing in a place like this?

We started with two words, what and is, but because this is informal
writing, we want to express it informally, so we omit a letter from the
word is. Because we're well brought up little Vegemites (remember?), we
let people know what we've done.

I could've danced all night ... (could have, not could 'of')

It's time for breakfast (It is time ...)

It's been raining all day. (It has been raining ...)

So, in future whenever you see an apostrophe, make a conscious effort to
work out what the original word was before the letter was omitted.
Sometimes, as in the case of could've and would've, more than one letter
has been omitted.

This will establish good habits and alert you to the role of the apostrophe.

2. To show POSSESSION

We went to Marmaduke's restaurant for dinner. (Marmaduke owns the
restaurant; it is the restaurant of Marmaduke.)

Notice how the apostrophe comes at the end of the noun (Marmaduke) and
is accompanied by the letter 's' - a bit like a chaperone.

We knew whom to blame for the missing pie; there was cream all over the
dog's whiskers!

We're only referring to one dog and it owns the whiskers (and the pie
and a very satisfied smile, no doubt).

Some words sound awkward when an apostrophe 's' is added:

Jesus's disciples.

The accepted form here is to just use the 's' apostrophe:

Jesus' disciples.

N.B. This only applies to names of Biblical or historical significance
e.g. Jesus, Moses, Zeus, Demosthenes, Ramses ... the rest of us whack in
the apostrophe and add an 's.'

Moses' followers, Zeus' priests, Demosthenes' teachings, Ramses' pyramid

Others don't have the same clumsy sound:

The princess's chair.

The important thing is to be consistent in your use of the form -
nothing is writ in stone!

Confusion arises when the apostrophe is used with a plural noun.

At the zoo, the children were most interested in seeing the lions' den.

More than one lion owns the den, so we add the apostrophe after the 's'
(this is the den of the lions).

So, the general rule is:

* if there's one owner - add an apostrophe and then 's'
* if there are two or more owners - add 's' then an apostrophe.

However, (and of course you're not surprised to hear this, are you?),
there are exceptions to this rule.

For words which form their plural by changing internal letters (instead
of adding 's'), the apostrophe comes before the 's'.

It was the children's turn to wash up.

Children is already a plural word, so we don't need to make it doubly
plural by adding 's' apostrophe; however, we do need to indicate the
idea of ownership, so we use apostrophe 's'.

Some other words which follow this rule a men, women, people.

When you have 'double possession' - when two or more people (or
subjects) own one item and both (or all) of their names are mentioned,
the apostrophe is applied only to the second (or last) name.

We had coffee at Ermintrude and Marmaduke's mansion.

When you're using names that end in -S, you follow the same rules as
with any other name and add apostrophe S:

Chris's car, Bridget Jones's Diary.

Plural names also follow the same rules:

Bill Thomas's car; the Thomases' new house (add -es to names that end in
S to indicate plural form).

The apostrophe is also used with many expressions of time (to show that
the time period owns the other noun):

an hour's time; a year's holiday

BUT notice that we do not use the apostrophe with possessive pronouns
(remember, these are the little guys who step in and lend a paw to nouns).

After dinner at Marmaduke's restaurant, we went back to his place for
coffee.

The bird's feathers were ruffled. (The bird owns the feathers.)

The bird ruffled its feathers. (The bird owns the feathers, but the
pronoun its is being used instead of the noun, so there is NO apostrophe.

You'll see it's and its used incorrectly nearly every single day and in
places where it should never happen. An easy way to make sure you never
confuse the two is to ask yourself (do this quietly, you don't want to
alarm those around you), if the words it is can be substituted in the
sentence- if the answer is yes, then whack in the old apostrophe.

If the answer is no, then sit on your hands so you won't be tempted.

The bird ruffled its (it is?) feathers. (NO)

It's (it is?) a lovely day. (YES)

To summarise, here is a good way to check if you need an apostrophe -
for future reference:

If you can substitute the use of "of" then you use the apostrophe.

e.g. This is Marmaduke's house ... it is the house of Marmaduke.

The children's mother phoned ... the mother of the children phoned.

Three months' work ... the work of three months.

If "John" likes, he can print this and keep it near his computer.

Dave K8MN

KH6HZ April 15th 07 05:39 PM

dave contiue s his OT hijacking of the NG

wrote:

Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

John Smith I April 15th 07 05:54 PM

On apostrophes

Dave Heil wrote:

John Jones is the man.

John Jones' car is in the shop.

The Jones's car is in the shop.

Bill Smith is another man.

Bill Smiths' car is in the shop too.

The Smiths' family car is in the shop also.

Bill Smith's an avg. joe.

JS

John Smith I April 15th 07 05:59 PM

On apostrophes

John Smith I wrote:

JS

However, both jesse jackson and al-not-too-sharp-sharpton tend to speak
in such a manner as to mimic heils' use of apostrophes.

JS

John Smith I April 15th 07 06:19 PM

dave contiue s his OT hijacking of the NG

it is still OFF topic **** from you both

What? We all voted and decided it was amateur policy to let the
slovenly use of apostrophes go un-noticed?

Someone should have informed me ... but sounds about right, only ~%15 of
Americans have college degrees ...

JS

John Smith I April 15th 07 07:07 PM

dave contiue s his OT hijacking of the NG

never said that merely that that is not an english class and such
discssions were merely part of Daves and mds plan to hijack the NG

Ahhh. The use of logic was discontinued decades ago, replaced by
"standardized testing." Bush continues this tradition with "no child
left behind."

You don't expect anyone to really notice, do you? Or, even to notice
that heil is a petty moron?

JS

Mork April 15th 07 07:31 PM

"KH6HZ" wrote in message

Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

Mark Morgan said of his writing: "I realy don't write that badly I do write
in ore
european mode [sic]"

Mork April 15th 07 07:34 PM

On apostrophes

"John Smith I" wrote in message
John Smith I wrote:

JS

However, both jesse jackson and al-not-too-sharp-sharpton tend to speak
in such a manner as to mimic heils' use of apostrophes.

JS

Of course that is just one bunghole's opinion. Those of other bungholes may
vary.

Mork April 15th 07 07:35 PM

I Jack Threads

wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:39:18 -0400, "KH6HZ" wrote:

wrote:

Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

be that as it may or not

it is still OFF topic **** from you both

And you aren't the moderator, Mork.

Dave Heil April 15th 07 08:17 PM

KH6HZ wrote:
wrote:

Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

Mark Morgan is writing about something being off topic? You're kidding.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil April 15th 07 08:19 PM

On apostrophes

John Smith I wrote:
John Smith I wrote:

JS

However, both jesse jackson and al-not-too-sharp-sharpton tend to speak
in such a manner as to mimic heils' use of apostrophes.

Then they have it right.

March to your own drummer, "John", but don't be surprised if someone
laughs at you or points out your mistakes.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil April 15th 07 08:28 PM

John Smith I wrote:
wrote:

... never said that merely that that is not an english class and such
discssions were merely part of Daves and mds plan to hijack the NG

Ahhh. The use of logic was discontinued decades ago, replaced by
"standardized testing." Bush continues this tradition with "no child
left behind."

It looks like you were left behind, "John."

You don't expect anyone to really notice, do you?

I noticed.

Or, even to notice
that heil is a petty moron?

Well, "John", it is an upside-down world you inhabit, where incorrect
becomes correct, where those who know and understand something become
morons and where a phrase such as the one you wrote (above), becomes a
sentence.

You're welcome for the lesson in how to use an apostrophe.

Dave K8MN

John Smith I April 15th 07 08:54 PM

On apostrophes

Dave Heil wrote:

[more of the same old chit Len tires of ...]

Dave:

Yer' a moron ... end of story. You've worked hard for that title, you
deserve it; wear it with pride!

JS

Dave Heil April 15th 07 09:53 PM

On apostrophes

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

[more of the same old chit Len tires of ...]

Len tires of being wrong and of receiving what he dishes out.

Dave:

Yer' a moron ... end of story.

Except that your statement isn't the end of the story. The moron would
be the guy who made the statements on punctuation which you made and, in
the face of facts to the contrary, continued to bray that he's right.

You've worked hard for that title, you
deserve it; wear it with pride!

Your actions and reactions of today ensure that the title is yours.
There's no shame in it, "John." After all, you're anonymous. You can
simply choose another pseudonym if you're embarrassed.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] April 16th 07 02:45 AM

On apostrophes

On Apr 15, 12:59 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
"John Smith" insists that his version of using the apostrophe is
correct. Those pointing out his mistaken ideas are called morons and
imbeciles. Three seconds of Google search brings enlightenment.

For the apostrophe-challenged from:

I'm reminded of Hans' story of the new ham being corrected by someone
who supposedly knows better, wearing the artificial cloak of well-
meaningness.

You remain the smuggest of hams.

[email protected] April 16th 07 02:47 AM

On Apr 15, 1:39 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:
wrote:
Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

The Lord knows that you grabbed you grabbed up a bunch of Hawaiin
calls.

John Smith I April 16th 07 03:54 AM

dave contiue s his OT hijacking of the NG

wrote:

Mark:

Why forte free agent? I thought you were the xnews guy?

JS

Dave Heil April 16th 07 12:39 PM

On apostrophes

wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:59 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
"John Smith" insists that his version of using the apostrophe is
correct. Those pointing out his mistaken ideas are called morons and
imbeciles. Three seconds of Google search brings enlightenment.

For the apostrophe-challenged from:

I'm reminded of Hans' story of the new ham being corrected by someone
who supposedly knows better, wearing the artificial cloak of well-
meaningness.

That's fine, hot-ham-and-cheese. Was it the numerous examples of the
proper use of apostrophes--almost all wrong--provided by "John", which
reminded you?

You remain the smuggest of hams.

You might have forgotten the fellow who suggests that someone who uses
an apostrophe correctly is an imbecile or moron. Now *that's* smug.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] April 16th 07 11:51 PM

On apostrophes

On Apr 16, 8:39 am, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:59 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
"John Smith" insists that his version of using the apostrophe is
correct. Those pointing out his mistaken ideas are called morons and
imbeciles. Three seconds of Google search brings enlightenment.

For the apostrophe-challenged from:

I'm reminded of Hans' story of the new ham being corrected by someone
who supposedly knows better, wearing the artificial cloak of well-
meaningness.

That's fine, hot-ham-and-cheese. Was it the numerous examples of the
proper use of apostrophes--almost all wrong--provided by "John", which
reminded you?

Come to think of it, it was your thread hi-jacking which drew my
attention. I probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. There's
only so much of your nonsense that I'm going to read, so this one
squabble of the many squabbles that you've gotten yourself into would
likely have been missed.

You remain the smuggest of hams.

You might have forgotten the fellow who suggests that someone who uses
an apostrophe correctly is an imbecile or moron. Now *that's* smug.

Dave K8MN

Or I might have forgotten the fellow who says that people who misspell
words are incapable of leadership. Smug? Youbetcha.

Dave Heil April 17th 07 12:28 AM

On apostrophes

wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:59 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
"John Smith" insists that his version of using the apostrophe is
correct. Those pointing out his mistaken ideas are called morons and
imbeciles. Three seconds of Google search brings enlightenment.
For the apostrophe-challenged from:
I'm reminded of Hans' story of the new ham being corrected by someone
who supposedly knows better, wearing the artificial cloak of well-
meaningness.

That's fine, hot-ham-and-cheese. Was it the numerous examples of the
proper use of apostrophes--almost all wrong--provided by "John", which
reminded you?

Come to think of it, it was your thread hi-jacking which drew my
attention.

That's interesting. I didn't hijack the thread at all. I corrected
"John's" use of "heils'" in the course of my response. If anyone
hijacked the thread, it was "John." I even created an entirely new
thread on the use of apostrophes.

I probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

It was otherwise and you noticed anyway.

There's
only so much of your nonsense that I'm going to read, so this one
squabble of the many squabbles that you've gotten yourself into would
likely have been missed.

It seems to me that you see pretty much every word I write in this
newsgroup. You're busy trying to read *between* the lines.

You remain the smuggest of hams.

You might have forgotten the fellow who suggests that someone who uses
an apostrophe correctly is an imbecile or moron. Now *that's* smug.

Or I might have forgotten the fellow who says that people who misspell
words are incapable of leadership.

Is a misspelling the same as a typo? Len claims he made a typo when he
misspelled Attila--three different times. Heh.

Smug? Youbetcha.

I think you're mistaking confidence for smugness.

Dave K8MN

John Smith I April 17th 07 02:54 AM

On apostrophes

wrote:

[...]

heil's an idiot, fun to yank his chain now and then just to let any
newbies see for themselves.

He reminds me of "Mels' Hole" up in oregon, toss a rock in and you never
hear it hit bottom, same with the hole in heils' head ...

JS

Dave Heil April 17th 07 05:07 AM

On apostrophes

John Smith I wrote:
wrote:

[...]

heil's an idiot, fun to yank his chain now and then just to let any
newbies see for themselves.

No, anonymous "John", I'm not an idiot. I know how to use an apostrophe.

He reminds me of "Mels' Hole" up in oregon, toss a rock in and you never
hear it hit bottom, same with the hole in heils' head ...

Don't be embarrassed over your errant rant. You can always choose
another pseudonym.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] April 18th 07 12:39 AM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

On Apr 15, 5:59 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:53:37 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

[more of the same old chit Len tires of ...]

Len tires of being wrong and of receiving what he dishes out.

I am sure that isn't it

Dave:

Yer' a moron ... end of story.

Except that your statement isn't the end of the story.

the moron is the guy that thinks he is apointed to reveiw and check
everyone writing

In the guise of well-meaningness... recall Hans' story.

you forget that the flame war on my part hit high gear over Robesons
refuasal and yours for that matter to answer the question "how is
anybodies sexauly on topic for RRAP"

I'm sure they meant well...

Dave Heil April 18th 07 05:21 AM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

wrote:

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
[more of the same old chit Len tires of ...]
Len tires of being wrong and of receiving what he dishes out.

I am sure that isn't it

Dave:
Yer' a moron ... end of story.
Except that your statement isn't the end of the story.

the moron is the guy that thinks he is apointed to reveiw and check
everyone writing

In the guise of well-meaningness... recall Hans' story.

Is that the one where the new user of apostrophes forever gives up the
use of punctuation?

you forget that the flame war on my part hit high gear over Robesons
refuasal and yours for that matter to answer the question "how is
anybodies sexauly on topic for RRAP"

I'm sure they meant well...

I know you must have a warm spot for the guy who advertised for a beat
me-hurt-me, pee-on-me encounter as a bi-sexual pagan s/m freak in
another newsgroup.

That's nice, hot-ham-and-cheese. Comfort Mark and don't hurt his
self-esteem.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil April 18th 07 05:46 AM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

wrote:

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
[more of the same old chit Len tires of ...]
Len tires of being wrong and of receiving what he dishes out.

I am sure that isn't it

By the way, hot-ham-and-cheese, did you happen to notice who actually
hijacked the thread? It was your friend Mark.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] April 18th 07 12:01 PM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

wrote:

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
[more of the same old chit Len tires of ...]
Len tires of being wrong and of receiving what he dishes out.
I am sure that isn't it

Dave:
Yer' a moron ... end of story.
Except that your statement isn't the end of the story.
the moron is the guy that thinks he is apointed to reveiw and check
everyone writing

In the guise of well-meaningness... recall Hans' story.

Is that the one where the new user of apostrophes forever gives up the
use of punctuation?

You're the one who made the rule that a person who misspells a word is
incapable of leadership...

So you tell me.

you forget that the flame war on my part hit high gear over Robesons
refuasal and yours for that matter to answer the question "how is
anybodies sexauly on topic for RRAP"

I'm sure they meant well...

I know you must have a warm spot for the guy who advertised for a beat
me-hurt-me, pee-on-me encounter as a bi-sexual pagan s/m freak in
another newsgroup.

In another newsgroup? The way you guys carry on, you'd have thunk he
posted it here.

That's nice, hot-ham-and-cheese. Comfort Mark and don't hurt his
self-esteem.

Dave K8MN

That's a fine thing for an ARRL Director Wannabe to say about a fellow
amateur.

John Smith I April 18th 07 03:13 PM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

That's a fine thing for an ARRL Director Wannabe to say about a fellow
amateur.

arrl director? ROFLOL ;-P

The dumbing down of arrl is an interesting concept (if that is possible.)

A while back ago, I seen a guy downtown with a partially full wine
bottle having visions he was the messiah. Guess that is going around ...

JS

John Smith I April 18th 07 08:01 PM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

Semolina P Smith wrote:

[chit]

PLONKERS!

JS

an_old_friend April 18th 07 09:10 PM

On Apr 15, 10:54 pm, John Smith I wrote:
wrote:

Mark:

Why forte free agent? I thought you were the xnews guy?

JS

FRE is thew word and I hased it off and on for years Xnews is favorued
by my impersaonators

[email protected] April 20th 07 12:06 PM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

On Apr 18, 11:13 am, John Smith I wrote:

That's a fine thing for an ARRL Director Wannabe to say about a fellow
amateur.

arrl director? ROFLOL ;-P

I know, I know!

The dumbing down of arrl is an interesting concept (if that is possible.)

In his favor, he wants the Section Reports back in the publication,
QST.

A while back ago, I seen a guy downtown with a partially full wine
bottle having visions he was the messiah. Guess that is going around ...

JS

Dave is no messiah, but merely a spelling bully.

John Smith I April 20th 07 04:30 PM

Dave Hiel thread jacker

Dave is no messiah, but merely a spelling bully.

The avg. Americans' reading/composing ability is about eight grade
level. Dave is only avg. ...

JS

K4YZ May 2nd 07 11:25 AM

dave contiue s his OT hijacking of the NG Actually THis Was An Original Thread Hijacked By His Superior Putziness, Mork Moron

wrote:

Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

be that as it may or not

it is still OFF topic #### from you both

This is an unmoderated forum.

"on topic" or "off topic" is determined by the response to the
original thread by any potential respondant.

In this case, Morkie Moron dragged it off-topic in only 1 post...

As if we doubted he would do differently?

Steve, K4YZ

K4YZ May 2nd 07 04:50 PM

dave contiue s his OT hijacking of the NG Actually THis Was An Original Thread Hijacked By Mork MoronRobeson

On May 2, 9:31�am, wrote:
On 2 May 2007 03:39:33 -0700,
wrote:
wrote:

Dave this is not an english class

Lord knows you could use a few...

be that as it may or not

it is still OFF topic #### from you both

* * *This is an unmoderated forum.

No, this is rec.radio.amateur.policy. *Try to stay on topic.

he can't he never could BB

Brian "The Brain" Burke is moderator?

* * *"on topic" or "off topic" is determined by the response to the
original thread by any potential respondant.

* * *In this case, Morkie Moron dragged it off-topic in only 1 post...

* * As if we doubted he would do differently?

Steve, K4YZ

How was therapy?

a failure although I think he never realy left just contiues his
attacks though annymice till he could not stand it any more

What therapy?

What "anymice"...?!?!?

You should get that paranoia dealt with, Morkie...Or stop hanging
out with people as equally incompetent in people skills as N0IMD....

Steve, K4YZ