RadioBanter

-   -   The Day has come.... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26613-re-day-has-come.html)

Dick Carroll July 14th 03 03:21 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message
. 61...

I had thought pilots DID. Does Anyone know?

The Morse IDs on radionav beacons send so slow
that it's easy to write down "dots" and "dashes" and
use a laminated "cheat sheet" to decode the ID and
make sure it's the beacon you want.

...while you fly the plane into a mountain

Robert Casey July 14th 03 09:53 PM

LA Davies wrote:

Lloyd Davies, N0VFP
Future no-code Extra
FT-817

Oh damm! My extra-lite will be watered down....! :-)
(I haven't used code so long I have since forgot it all).

Dee D. Flint July 14th 03 11:24 PM

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message
. 61...

a Ham radio license to someone. He asked me if they still
also said its obsolete and even the military does not use

Just shows how ignorant he is. Special Forces still learn
it and use it as they may need to operate low power and be
stealthy.

Doesn't this seem like an immature comment? They
have manuals on operating pack trains. They have
manuals on all sorts of things. Do you think that
a SF op actually read the manual on constructing
railways?

I don't think that all SF op's get CW training.
They are generally cross-trained in many things,
but I don't think every Green Beret gets CW.
Your generalization about SF is bunk as now
the Marines are considered 1st cousins to the
Berets. :) Do they have to learn CW?

No one said that all special forces members get. Just that it is included.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Len Over 21 July 15th 03 05:24 AM

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message
.61...

I had thought pilots DID. Does Anyone know?

The Morse IDs on radionav beacons send so slow
that it's easy to write down "dots" and "dashes" and
use a laminated "cheat sheet" to decode the ID and
make sure it's the beacon you want.

As JJ mentioned, the morse code tone ID is printed in the block
for each VOR and VORTAC on sectionals and en-route charts.
Since before 1962 they've been printed as little bold-face dots
and dashes.

Probably the main reason those tone IDs are still there is that
THE FAA NEVER TOOK IT OUT OF REQUIREMENTS. The ID
keying is a terribly simple mechanism (so many still survive as
mechanical form) that it was simply kept. Much easier to keep it
than require each and every VOR and VORTAC to remove it.

The tone ID pattern, along with the tone itself, can be generated with
a single Microchip PIC or equivalent plus a handfull of passive
components...will last for years. :-)

LHA

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 15th 03 07:17 AM

On 14 Jul 2003 01:35:20 GMT, (Vshah101) wrote:

I would be willing to improve my skills in homebrewing, troubleshooting, APRS,
VHF, direction finding, and other technical areas. However, the Hams in every
club, of the several I've been to, are not interested in those areas.

I can't account for the lack of interest in these activities from the
clubs in your area, but the club I'm active with has quite a bit of
interest there, especially in VHF and direction finding. In fact, we
run a transmitter hunt on a weekly basis during the summer. We don't
do it in the winter because we don't want to be the reason for people
driving around in snowstorms and getting killed while trying to have
fun and learn a useful skill. This is Buffalo, after all..... :-)

Its not a lack of resources. Its that Hams don't want to. My local club even
has a Network Analyzer and a dedicated shack with radio setps, parts, cables,
soldering iron, etc. They have the resources to do the technical activities.
They just chose not to do that and to do contesting, antenna setups, and CW.

Most clubs seem to have a core of people who assume a leadership role
in club activities. Most planning and execution of club activities
gets done by that group of people. If said group does not perceive an
interest in an activity from the rest of the membership, often they
won't waste their time doing it...meaning that until enough people
express an interest in something, it doesn't happen.

The solution would be to seek out others in the club who have the same
or similar interests, creating a sort of special interest group within
the club, and then suggest the idea to the club leaders with the
numbers to show that there is interest in a topic. Demonstrating that
the membership wants something done is the best way to get it to
happen. The squeaky wheels get the grease. :-)

And its not that I can't be bothered. I would actively contribute in those
areas, if other Hams joined me.

On the other hand, sometimes all it takes is for one person to do
something, and then others jump in and start to follow suit. This is
called leading by example, and it works, unless you happen to be doing
something that's obviously a bad idea. Your ideas seem good. Consider
starting the ball rolling yourself and see who jumps on the bandwagon.

Perhaps a change in attitude would benefit the ARS. Hams should have more than
just a limited view of contesting, antennas, and CW. If Hams wanted to become
good in many different areas, the ARS would benefit.

There are hams who detest contests and contesting. In fact, the same
could be said for CW. Yet, there are also plentry who are very
interested in those topics. As for antennas, every ham who wants to
actually get on the air needs at least one, so it should really come
as no surprise that it's an easy topic to get people interested in. At
our club, the seminar on building J-pole antennas was the most popular
meeting program of the just-completed club year. We actually built a
copper pipe J-pole during the program, and one out of 450-ohm
twinlead. Even guys who had been club members longer than I've been a
ham were fascinated.

The bottom line is to keep in mind that one of the greatest strengths
of any club lies in the diversity of its members' individual
interests. There are probably others in the clubs in your area who
share your interests. The trick is to identify them, and then get
something started. Once you get the ball rolling it usually keeps
rolling for quite a while.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ