Old July 13th 03, 04:12 AM
Jim Hampton

Well, I just saw a post. Interesting problem from a brand-new 1X2 call.
Seems he had a fairly high SWR on his beam so to keep water out of the
traps, he sealed the holes in the traps. The beam is mounted on conduit 20
feet off the ground and now his SWR is *extremely* high on 20 and 15 meters.
So, someone kindly explain how elimination of any waiting period for the
extra class license and virtual elimination of the code (no, I'm not a
pro-coder; it just forced folks to wait and learn a bit before they were
ready for the 20 words per minute test) has increased the technical
competence of amateur radio.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old July 13th 03, 04:55 AM
Mike Coslo

Jim Hampton wrote:
Well, I just saw a post. Interesting problem from a brand-new 1X2 call.
Seems he had a fairly high SWR on his beam so to keep water out of the
traps, he sealed the holes in the traps. The beam is mounted on conduit 20
feet off the ground and now his SWR is *extremely* high on 20 and 15 meters.
So, someone kindly explain how elimination of any waiting period for the
extra class license and virtual elimination of the code (no, I'm not a
pro-coder; it just forced folks to wait and learn a bit before they were
ready for the 20 words per minute test) has increased the technical
competence of amateur radio.

Those are some of the reasons I advocate a return to the waiting period
before advanced ticket upgrades.

And I say that from personal experience. An Extra *should* be
essentially an expert in the ARS.

Oops, is that a "filter" or "hazing" like Morse code is?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 14th 03, 03:13 AM
Mike Coslo

From: Mike Coslo

Those are some of the reasons I advocate a return to the waiting period
before advanced ticket upgrades.

I disagree. A waiting period would be unfair. If the person has prepared
themseleves well, they may well have the ability for the upgrade. Why slow down
someone that has the ability for the upgrade?

Perhaps you are not aware of it, but there is a LOT more to the ARS
than just the test for each level. When I was unlicensed, I could have
studied for and passed the Extra exam. But I wouldn't have been much of
an extra.

It is simlar in some ways to driving a car You could read a lot of
information about driving a car, but nothing makes you a good driver
like experience behind the wheel.

And I say that from personal experience. An Extra *should* be
essentially an expert in the ARS.

Sure. Assuming that the prospective amateur gets some more experience.

Thats what the license should imply. Each licence upgrade should have higher
skill than the previous license

Most of the clubs don't want to focus on technical skills. Most clubs focus on
contesting, antennas, and CW. Clubs could do homebrewing, tuning, radio
direction finding, or other technical areas.

You do have a one track mind, eh? We've been through that one enough.

Oops, is that a "filter" or "hazing" like Morse code is?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Morse code is a bullying tactic to force this skill at the expense of other
skills. Morse code is not a "filter". It blocks entry to the General class
license. It is an irrelevant skill, used as an obstacle.

My sympathy.

- Mike KB3EIA -