Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 14th 03, 06:45 PM
K0HB

Default Smells like type acceptance

I was under the impression (apparently mistaken?) that a licensed
amateur could possess any sort of equipment (commercial, homebrew,
converted surplus) or whatever. I know of no rule against MODIFICATION
of equipment, even if that modification permits operation outside the
amateur bands. The rules properly speak to signal purity, staying
inside the assigned bands, etc., etc., but do NOT seem to prohibit
modifications of factory-built equipment. (In fact, I could probably
make an argument that the FCC rules ENCOURAGE tinkering and
experimentation of this sort!)

However I note the FCC has required at least one licensed ham, Michael
V. Swift, KG6QOB, to restore a rig to "original manufacturer's
specifications".

("You are directed to have the transceiver returned to the original
manufacturer's specifications by reinstalling the jumper wire which
the cutting or removal of permits operation outside the amateur bands.
The jumper wire must be repaired or installed, and encapsulated with
epoxy or similar material to preclude future modification. After the
repair is completed you are directed to bring the transceiver to this
office so that the repair can be confirmed and related technical
measurements can be made.

You have until July 7, 2003 to respond to this inquiry and to provide
the repaired transceiver for inspection.")

While I understand the reason for the action (malicious interference
and false distress signals on marine frequencies), it strikes me that
this particular remedy is not supported by the law, and might set a
precedent for de facto "type acceptance" in the Amateur Radio service.

What say, ye lawyerly types?

73, de Hans, K0HB