Old September 3rd 03, 01:20 PM
Brian

"Phil Kane" wrote in message . net...
"Hans K0HB" wrote: in message news:c4a6771678b5a0221f9271fbee325279.128005@myga te.mailgate.org...

.. . . .

B. Status of current licensees.

Current licenses could be renewed indefinitely, and would
retain their current operating privileges.

Current Novice, Technician, General, and Advanced class
licensees could up grade to ?Class A? at any time.

Respectfully submitted,

H. Hans Brakob, K0HB

A very well thought out and crafted petition, Hans. It makes a lot
of sense.

I'm not sure that the Commission will go for an indefinite-term
license, even though the Comm Act appears to permit the Commission
to set terms of licenses by rule for all classes of stations except
broadcast stations which is set by statute.

Phil, how often does the holder of a GROL have to renew? How long is
the renewal term?

Thanks, Brian
Old September 3rd 03, 04:14 PM
Bert Craig

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
Phil, how often does the holder of a GROL have to renew? How long is
the renewal term?

Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,

I believe I can answer that for you. The GROL is a lifetime license. Once
earned, there is no renewal.

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old September 3rd 03, 11:01 PM
Brian

"Bert Craig" wrote in message .net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
Phil, how often does the holder of a GROL have to renew? How long is
the renewal term?

Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,

I believe I can answer that for you. The GROL is a lifetime license. Once
earned, there is no renewal.

Bert, you are correct.
Old September 4th 03, 02:20 AM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

I'm not sure that the Commission will go for an indefinite-term
license, even though the Comm Act appears to permit the Commission
to set terms of licenses by rule for all classes of stations except
broadcast stations which is set by statute.

Here's a thought: if an operator license has indefinite term, how do SK's ever
get reported?

In Japan, operator licenses never expire, even if the operator does. So the JA
operator license numbers you see are really the number of licenses ever issued,
not the number now active or even alive. They can be canceled, I think, but
that takes a lot of paperwork proving that the licensee is, in point of fact,
actually and quite completely dead.

JA station licenses. OTOH, do expire and cost money to renew. Thus the great
disparity between operator and station license numbers.

Also, when a JA ham upgrades, the old license remains on the records.

Imagine if we did that here in the USA. The license totals would be enormous,
and constantly growing! Some of us would show up in the tabulations as many as
5 or 6 times.

hmmmm....

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 29th 03, 01:41 AM
Hans K0HB

"Pat St. Jean" wrote

Sounds good to me. Your proposal was a lot more intelligently written
than mine.

Thanks! Hopefully the thrust of it is 'catchy' enough that FCC gives
it some considerations.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old September 29th 03, 05:56 PM
WA8ULX

Guess that means you need to get on your RUNNING shoes!

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

No I have no reason to run.