RadioBanter

-   -   test only (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26836-re-test-only.html)

Larry Roll K3LT September 2nd 03 05:29 AM

test only

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

Yep.

2.66 GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, top-of-the-line Intel DDR 400 MHz motherboard,
DVDRW/CDROM drive and another CDROM drive, 1.44 MB floppy drive,
6 USB ports, 2 cereal ports (one for Wheeties, one for Grape Nuts), and
a USR V.92 EXTERNAL USB modem. O/S will be Windoze XP. Oh,
40 GB Western Digital hard drive. It's being put together by a local
computer firm called Kehtron Computer, which has a good rep in this area
and offers the advantage of being local, so if anything goes wrong, I can
just bring it back with a bottle of ketchup and mustard and say, "Luncheon
is served, boys!"

Nice - but what do you need all that computing power for? Sounds like a
serious gaming or CAD machine.

Mainly as a hedge against obsolescence. I tend to keep my computers for
around five years -- that's how old my present one is. So I spec 'em to be
pretty much maxxed out in terms of current technology, so it will be able
to handle whatever I'll throw at it in the next half-decade or so.

I'm one of the first 1,000 original AOL users, and just can't
seem to break the habit.

Exactly what AOL counts on. Can't blame 'em, it's sound marketing.

It certainly seems to have worked on me!

And many others!

Yeah, they got a real racket going. Too bad they have such a nice,
user-friendly newsreader, or I'd be oudda here in a heartbeat.

73 de Larry, K3LT