Old September 10th 03, 03:59 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Bob Brock
writes:

I use MURS to keep in touch with my non-ham daughter. My phone at
home stays constantly busy and she isn't interested in taking the
test. I guess that she too is condemned to no-code/non-ham hell. She
seems pretty content with her fate though. She really want's a cell
phone, which is also near a ham frequency, but I got her a horse
intstead.

Bob:

Your daughter can have full amateur privileges on the VHF and higher
bands without taking a code test. All she has to do is pass a fairly
simple written test to get her Technician-class license, and she can
be happily kerchunking local repeaters and keeping in touch with you
to both your heart's content. Moreover, if she doesn't bother to whine
about not having HF phone privileges because she cannot be bothered
to learn Morse code at a dismally slow 5 WPM, nobody will any
problem with her whatsoever.

However, as a person who appreciates things like bicycles, wood
stoves, manual-gearbox automobiles, and the Morse code, I think
that the horse you bought for your daughter was a very smart
investment!

73 de Larry, K3LT