RadioBanter

-   -   If the written test elements are so easy, why are we all not extras? (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27043-if-written-test-elements-so-easy-why-we-all-not-extras.html)

Robert Casey October 26th 03 10:19 PM

If the written test elements are so easy, why are we all not extras?

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

WA8ULX October 27th 03 12:39 AM

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Because the Whinners who have cried about the CW Test, are the same Whinners
who will start now crying about the Written.

Larry Roll K3LT October 27th 03 02:18 AM

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Bob:

Every ham who has (had) the motivation and initiative to learn the material
required to pass the Extra-class written tests (and all the rest along the
way) already *is* an Extra. The rest either haven't found it yet, or never
will. In either case, their status won't change until they change it for
themselves. Twenty-three years ago, I couldn't imagine being a licensed
ham of any class, until it finally dawned on me that I had to do something
to make it happen. Once I got started, I went from nothing to General
in about six months, and to Extra in about 18 months. I'm just glad I
didn't wait any longer for someone to make it happen for me.

73 de Larry, K3LT

N2EY October 27th 03 03:29 AM

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Well, for starters:

1) Some hams are just not interested in HF.
2) Some hams are not in a position to have an HF station
3) Some hams are not that interested in the relatively small amount of
additional privileges an Extra provides
4) Some hams have lost interest completely
5) Some hams haven't yet heard about the rules changes, or don't understand
them
6) Some hams haven't gotten around to visiting a VE session

Note how slowly the number of Advanceds is declining. In the 42 months since
restructuring, their numbers have only dropped by about 15%. At least half of
that decline is expirations, so the number who have upgraded to Extra is pretty
small even though the 20 wpm code test is long gone.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Len Over 21 October 27th 03 04:39 AM

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

In article , Robert Casey

writes:

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Well, for starters:

1) Some hams are just not interested in HF.

Those are obviously not "real hams."

2) Some hams are not in a position to have an HF station

No excuse. Real hams get on HF and work DX with CW.

3) Some hams are not that interested in the relatively small amount of
additional privileges an Extra provides

Tsk, tsk, tsk, no "service traditions of honor, glory, and reward..."

4) Some hams have lost interest completely

OBVIOUSLY not real hams.

The CW skilled all have maximum interest, the only ones in US
amateur radio. All the rest are "knuckle-dragging CB-plussers"
according to two extras in here.

5) Some hams haven't yet heard about the rules changes, or don't understand
them

Inconcievable in an activity that is all about communication.

6) Some hams haven't gotten around to visiting a VE session

There's no snow yet for all to walk barefoot uphill both ways
to the VE place...

Note how slowly the number of Advanceds is declining. In the 42 months since
restructuring, their numbers have only dropped by about 15%. At least half of
that decline is expirations, so the number who have upgraded to Extra is
pretty small even though the 20 wpm code test is long gone.

Also, according to the Parson, by inference, all the no-code-test
Technicians are "not renewing." :-)

Novice class has been declining for LONGER prior to restructuring
and is still declining. So? Where have all the "upgraders" gone.

And where were all those talented 20 WPM Extras existing for
YEARS prior to restructuring wtihout doing any advancing of the
amateur radio state of the art? Were all those just sitting around
waiting for restructuring so they could **** and moan "no-coders
going to do the art advancing?"

LHA

N2EY October 27th 03 01:29 PM

In article ,
(WA8ULX) writes:

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Because the Whinners

Do you mean "winners", Bruce? Because they won the argument back in 1999.

who have cried about the CW Test, are the same Whinners
who will start now crying about the Written.

Some of them may.

Are you worried that someone will say that the writtens need to be upgraded?
Perhaps they will cite your alleged "8 minute Extra" as proof that the writtens
are inadequate.

WA8ULX October 27th 03 01:58 PM

Do you mean "winners", Bruce? Because they won the argument back in 1999.

If you consider turning Ham Radio into CB, then yes your right they have WON.

Are you worried that someone will say that the writtens need to be upgraded?

Not in the least, if anything they will be downgraded further

Perhaps they will cite your alleged "8 minute Extra" as proof that the
writtens
are inadequate.

They are inadequate, I agree. The written I took for the EXTRA was a JOKE.

Dave Heil October 28th 03 02:56 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

In article , Robert Casey

writes:

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Well, for starters:

1) Some hams are just not interested in HF.

Those are obviously not "real hams."

How would you know, Leonard? You aren't a radio amateur.

2) Some hams are not in a position to have an HF station

No excuse. Real hams get on HF and work DX with CW.

So far, you're the only individual making such statements. How would
you know? You aren't involved in amateur radio.

3) Some hams are not that interested in the relatively small amount of
additional privileges an Extra provides

Tsk, tsk, tsk, no "service traditions of honor, glory, and reward..."

Huh?

4) Some hams have lost interest completely

OBVIOUSLY not real hams.

As defined by one not remotely involved in ham radio?

The CW skilled all have maximum interest, the only ones in US
amateur radio. All the rest are "knuckle-dragging CB-plussers"
according to two extras in here.

So you take the view of two Extra Class licensees as representative of
all code-tested radio amateurs? You really should devote some time to
learning a bit about amateur radio.

5) Some hams haven't yet heard about the rules changes, or don't understand
them

Inconcievable in an activity that is all about communication.

It isn't any worse than a fellow who passes himself off as a
"professional" writer and who can't spell "inconceivable".

6) Some hams haven't gotten around to visiting a VE session

There's no snow yet for all to walk barefoot uphill both ways
to the VE place...

What do you know of the schedule and location of amateur radio exams in
relation to the location and schedules of those who may desire to
upgrade?

Note how slowly the number of Advanceds is declining. In the 42 months since
restructuring, their numbers have only dropped by about 15%. At least half of
that decline is expirations, so the number who have upgraded to Extra is
pretty small even though the 20 wpm code test is long gone.

Also, according to the Parson, by inference, all the no-code-test
Technicians are "not renewing." :-)

All of them? :-) :-)

Novice class has been declining for LONGER prior to restructuring
and is still declining. So? Where have all the "upgraders" gone.

Buffalo?

And where were all those talented 20 WPM Extras existing for
YEARS prior to restructuring wtihout doing any advancing of the
amateur radio state of the art?

Who says that none of them have done anything to advance the radio art?
Do you believe that it is necessary for every radio amateur to advance
the radio art? Better hop to it and obtain a license. Maybe you can be
a shining example for all of us.

Were all those just sitting around
waiting for restructuring so they could **** and moan "no-coders
going to do the art advancing?"

They were probably getting on the air and operating. What were you
doing for those several decades during which you've declared an interest
in amateur radio?

Dave K8MN

Len Over 21 October 28th 03 04:35 AM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,

(N2EY)
writes:

In article , Robert Casey

writes:

"Look lid you still don't get it, I am well aware the CW test is gone, my
complaint still is the Give away Written."

So why are we all not extras, then? If the writtens are so easy?

Well, for starters:

1) Some hams are just not interested in HF.

Those are obviously not "real hams."

How would you know, Leonard? You aren't a radio amateur.

I'm a PROFESSIONAL in radio, been one a helluval lot longer
than you and done far more.

Poor baby, got your state department shorts all knotted up?

2) Some hams are not in a position to have an HF station

No excuse. Real hams get on HF and work DX with CW.

So far, you're the only individual making such statements. How would
you know? You aren't involved in amateur radio.

I'm not eager to "get involved" with working DX on HF with CW.

That was done over a half century ago by others.

Amateurs, and I use that in its most pejorative appelation, LIKE YOU
insist on reliving the past so that you can claim "pioneer" status when
you've never done a damn thing in that regard, including your famous
claim of "using CW as an order wire on an RTTY circuit in the 1980s"
while at state.

3) Some hams are not that interested in the relatively small amount of
additional privileges an Extra provides

Tsk, tsk, tsk, no "service traditions of honor, glory, and reward..."

Huh?

What do you mean, "Huh," dumbass? You can't read standard
English? You want me to type slower so you can lip-read as
the letters appear? TS.

4) Some hams have lost interest completely

OBVIOUSLY not real hams.

As defined by one not remotely involved in ham radio?

As defined by idiots like yourself who only want to attack people,
not subjects.

Heil, all you have left is Personal Attack of anyone who displeases
you.

Typical dictatorial prussian.

The CW skilled all have maximum interest, the only ones in US
amateur radio. All the rest are "knuckle-dragging CB-plussers"
according to two extras in here.

So you take the view of two Extra Class licensees as representative of
all code-tested radio amateurs? You really should devote some time to
learning a bit about amateur radio.

I've read quite enough. I can't get inside minds to find out how
terribly deluded some are, like yourself, all caught up in the "service"
aspects of a mythical "service" when all you are doing in enjoying
your hobby.

I suppose now you are going to come back with having to be a believer
in the ARRL bull****. It will be some kind of stinky bull**** regardless.

5) Some hams haven't yet heard about the rules changes, or don't

understand
them

Inconcievable in an activity that is all about communication.

It isn't any worse than a fellow who passes himself off as a
"professional" writer and who can't spell "inconceivable".

YOU are NOT paying for any of this, dumbass. Why don't you go
form a league of newsgroup Kops who argue minutae of typos
such as prissy Parson Jimmie?

I've SOLD thousands of words and copy for a quarter century.
No problem.

6) Some hams haven't gotten around to visiting a VE session

There's no snow yet for all to walk barefoot uphill both ways
to the VE place...

What do you know of the schedule and location of amateur radio exams in
relation to the location and schedules of those who may desire to
upgrade?

Who the hell cares about YOUR judgemental non-talents, Oberst
Heil.

All you care to do is PICK FIGHTS, flame fests, so you can appear
triumphant even in losing.

Who says that none of them have done anything to advance the radio art?
Do you believe that it is necessary for every radio amateur to advance
the radio art? Better hop to it and obtain a license. Maybe you can be
a shining example for all of us.

YOU wouldn't know "state of the art" in radio if Norman Rockwell
came back to life and painted portraits of Peter Martinez and Phil
Karn and Dan Tayloe.

YOU are just an AMATEUR in the radio arts, capable of little but
restoring OLD radios and operating ready-built radios designed by
professionals.

Come back when you've gone beyond Ohm's Law.

Were all those just sitting around
waiting for restructuring so they could **** and moan "no-coders
going to do the art advancing?"

They were probably getting on the air and operating. What were you
doing for those several decades during which you've declared an interest
in amateur radio?

WORKING for a living IN radio and electronics, dumbass, doing
PROFESSIONAL work, applying for patents and gettin one, going
farther along the EM spectrum in radio communications than is legal
for US amateurs. Design engineering, you dumbass, not sitting around
shoveling bull**** about being some hobbyist in off-hours pretending to
be a radio pioneer and "in the service of your country" by beeping
morse.

You LOST it Heil. You don't have the proper prussian arrogance for
an oberst anymore. You are demoted to just a feldwebel, a minor-rank
NCO, in a fantasy life as a United States Morse Codist (USMC).

Semper foo, herr feldwebel

LHA

Leland C. Scott October 29th 03 02:04 AM

"Len Over 21" wrote in message
.

1) Some hams are just not interested in HF.

Those are obviously not "real hams."

Speak for yourself.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL Member
NCI Member

Charter member of the
Lawrence Technological University
Wireless Society W8LTU

--
"Let me add that there are an awful lot of
extra class calls playing on the

One of the truly great things about this hobby
is that there is so much to do in it, that
you should never get bored
regardless of your
license class."

Don Ross (an extra who has never logged an HF
contact)
NL7CO/EM04