RadioBanter

-   -   Australia (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27093-australia.html)

Alun November 19th 03 03:32 AM

Australia

VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

N2EY November 19th 03 05:31 PM

Alun wrote in message . ..
VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

How many down - and how many to go?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Sohl November 20th 03 01:53 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
Alun wrote in message

. ..
VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

How many down - and how many to go?

73 de Jim, N2EY

What difference does it make? The number of countries that
have ended or are scheduled to end code testing can
only increase. Not a single of those countries is ever
likly to change back (IMHO).

So I ask again, what difference does it make?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

N2EY November 20th 03 03:28 AM

In article et, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
. com...
Alun wrote in message

VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

How many down - and how many to go?

73 de Jim, N2EY

What difference does it make?

Just trying to keep tabs on how things are going.

The number of countries that
have ended or are scheduled to end code testing can
only increase.

Probably.

Not a single of those countries is ever
likly to change back (IMHO).

So I ask again, what difference does it make?

It will be interesting to see what happens to amateur radio in the countries
where code testing has been eliminated. For example, will we see a sustained
increase in growth?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Grümwîtch thë Ünflãppåblê November 20th 03 04:00 AM

"Alun" wrote in message

: VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

That's one story..... here's another floating around over here in EU...

Respectfully,

Your fateful friend,

Barnabus Grumwitch Overbyte
--
"All persons, living or dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be
construed."

G'Day Folks,

If there is NO CW requirement for ANY ham license
in Australia, some VK hams don't yet know about it
and I'm one of them.

The ACA (Australian Communications Authority) had
many meetings all over Australia in the last few months.
Their purpose was to present their proposed rule changes
which were many. Dropping all CW requirements was
one item. Faulting the ham for EVERY problem of
interference with ANYTHING was another. The
latter caused quite a stir and threatened to incite a
rebellion! Few seemed to care about CW one way
or another.

The many issues, I've mentioned only two, are still
under advisement as best my associates in OZ know.
No action is expected for a couple years.

OK, that's what I've heard. I may be wrong, if so
please let me know and please cite a verifiable source!

Cheers,

Bill VK6KM

Alun November 20th 03 04:47 AM

"Grümwîtch thë Ünflãppåblê"
wrote in ink.net:

"Alun" wrote in message

[...]

It's on the ACA web site. No code test effective 1st January. Take a look.

Dave Heil November 20th 03 05:25 AM

Bill Sohl wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
Alun wrote in message

. ..
VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

How many down - and how many to go?

73 de Jim, N2EY

What difference does it make? The number of countries that
have ended or are scheduled to end code testing can
only increase. Not a single of those countries is ever
likly to change back (IMHO).

So I ask again, what difference does it make?

It makes no more difference than Alun's pointing out that Australia is
doing away with morse testing.

Dave K8MN

KØHB November 20th 03 05:35 AM

"Grümwîtch thë Ünflãppåblê"
wrote

That's one story..... here's another floating around over here in EU...

Hey, Barney,

Flap over this one then......

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

Commonwealth of Australia
AUSTRALIAN COMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY

REVIEW OF AMATEUR SERVICE REGULATION

The Australian Communications Authority (ACA) is reviewing regulatory and
licensing arrangements for the amateur service. A discussion paper was
released
in August 2003, and public meetings were held in 10 cities around Australia.
As a result of this extensive public consultation process, the ACA has
decided
to discontinue the Morse code proficiency requirement for the amateur
service.

Background

Article 25 of the Radio Regulations of the International Telecommunication
Union (ITU) sets out the international arrangements for the amateur service.
The
World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC) held from 9 June to 4 July 2003 in
Geneva fundamentally changed Article 25.

The changes to Article 25 have provided the ACA with an opportunity to
review
and simplify the current regulatory and licensing arrangements for the
amateur service. In August 2003 the ACA released a discussion paper that
looked at
the changes made to Article 25, as well as exploring future options for the
amateur service in Australia.

Morse code proficiency requirement to be removed

As a result of an extensive public consultation process, the ACA has decided
to discontinue the Morse code proficiency requirement for the amateur
service.
This decision was made considering public comments at the meetings and
initial analysis of submissions to the discussion paper.

The ACA will make interim changes to legislative instruments which will
immediately allow access to privileges previously available only to those
satisfying Morse code proficiency requirements.

The ACA is in the process of amending the amateur radio licence conditions
specified in the Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence)
Determination No. 1 of 1997 to reflect this decision. The amendments will
give:
holders of Intermediate and Limited Amateur licences access to the same
frequency bands as Unrestricted Amateur licensees; and holders of the Novice
Limited Amateur licence access to the same frequency bands as Novice
licensees. The
interim arrangements are expected to come into force on 1 January 2004.

For more details about the arrangements, please refer to the A
HREF="http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/issues_for_comment/discussion/archive/F
AQ_morse_removal.pdf"Frequently Asked
Questions/A.

Public Meetings

As part of the consultation process for this review, the ACA held public
meetings in cities around Australia. Over 700, or approximately 5% of the
14,000
licensed amateur radio operators in Australia, attended the meetings to
discuss the proposals in the discussion paper and seek clarification on
particular
issues.

The ACA would like to thank everyone who attended the meetings, especially
those who travelled long distances to attend. The ACA received some useful
and
constructive feedback on the proposals contained in the discussion paper,
and
will consider this feedback when considering the proposals.

Submissions

Submissions to the discussion paper closed on 31 October 2003.

The ACA would like to thank everyone who submitted comments to the
discussion
paper. Approximately 1400 submissions were received, and the ACA will work
through them over the next few months.

The ACA hopes to have submissions published on the website by Christmas.

For further information on the review please contact:

Email: A .au/A
Phone: (02) 6219 5578

Paul Keinanen November 20th 03 07:14 AM

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:53:39 GMT, "Bill Sohl"
wrote:

VK is abolishing code testing effective January 1st. One more down...

How many down - and how many to go?

What difference does it make? The number of countries that
have ended or are scheduled to end code testing can
only increase. Not a single of those countries is ever
likly to change back (IMHO).

So I ask again, what difference does it make?

It makes a difference especially in areas, where people frequently
travel or move abroad.

During the transition period, when some countries have removed the
Morse test requirement and some have not, there is quite a mess where
it is possible to operate on HF without a Morse test.

The legal status of the CEPT recommendations T/R 61-01 and T/R 61-02
is unknown, since updated version is still on the (hopefully) final
request for comments period, which ends at the end of this month. When
Finland removed the Morse test requirement starting at November 1st,
the initially proposed regulatory text contained references to the
updated CEPT recommendations, but since these recommendations were not
final at the end of last month, the references to these
recommendations were removed from the Finnish regulatory text.

My guess is that at least most European countries will remove the
Morse test requirement within the next two years, during which period
there is going to be a mess for all those travelling abroad. There was
already a mess a few years ago with the HAREC licenses, when some
countries dropped the speed from 12 WPM to 5 WPM before the HAREC
recommendation was updated.

After this transitional period there will still be countries that will
require "forever" the Morse test. These are most likely countries that
insisted prior to WRC03 that the wording in RR should allow each
administration to decide if the Morse test is required or not (while
most countries supported completely removing the requirement from the
Radio Regulations).

Especially for new hams that have never taken any Morse tests,
travelling to such countries would probably require taking a Morse
test in that country for HF access. There might be some problem taking
the test in the local language (and possibly using the Morse alphabet
used in that country).

Paul OH3LWR

Alun November 20th 03 09:56 AM

Paul Keinanen wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I am not sure you are entirely right, Paul. Where reciprocal agreements
are in place, someone with the stipulated class of licence will be able to
operate with the agreed priviledges, regardless of how they obtained the
licence (saving any nationality or residence restrictions, or limitations
on using a reciprocal licence to gain further reciprocal priviledges).

If the Morse test is abolished in one's own country, and you obtain a
licence without passing a code test, you will be able to operate HF in
countries that honour your licence under a reciprocal agreement, even if a
Morse test is still required in that country.

This will create many odd anomalies, of course.

CEPT may work out slightly differently. Classes 1 and 2 have been merged,
but most national regulations still refer to them seperately, and most
licences still refer to one or the other. So, for a while, codeless hams
may not get HF priviledges under CEPT when they travel. If their licence
refers to a non-existent class 2, and the regs of the host country say
that the non-existent class 2s can only operate above 144 MHz, then that's
all they get.

Once their licence no longer says class 1 or class 2, I assume they would
get class 1 priviledges, even if the national rules of where they are
going remain unchanged and there is still a Morse test there.

Of course, the US issues a separate CEPT letter that you can download, but
the FCC hasn't abolished code testing yet, so I doubt that the text of the
letter will be altered yet. It's a good question, though. Presumably the
FCC should alter the letter anyway, to simply give Techs and above CEPT
operation. This is theoretically unrelated to whether code testing still
exists in the US.

There again, the FCC letter contains limitations on citizenship, even
though there are none in the CEPT agreement, and never have been. There is
an FCC rule that you must be a citizen of the country that issued your
licence to operate in the US under the CEPT, mirroring a similar rule
applying to reciprocal agreements. However, the letter says you must be a
US citizen to operate using a US licence under CEPT, even though there is
nothing to that effect either in FCC rules or in the CEPT agreement. This
additional limitation exists only in the letter itself, and nowhere else.