RadioBanter

-   -   If Ham radio were invented today........ (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27187-if-ham-radio-were-invented-today.html)

Mike Coslo January 1st 04 03:18 AM

If Ham radio were invented today........

Here is a hypothetical situation:

Let's say that for one reason or another that Hams never got back their
access to the airwaves after WW1.

Fast forward to January 1, 2004. In 2003, amateur radio was reborn,
with testing and privileges to commence on this first day of 2004.

What should the testing regimen be?

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY January 1st 04 08:56 AM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Let's say that for one reason or another that Hams never got back their
access to the airwaves after WW1.

Could have very well happened, if not for the ARRL. Or, amateur radio could
have been legislated out of existence at one of the radio conferences in the
early 1920s. But fortunately it didn't happen.

Fast forward to January 1, 2004. In 2003, amateur radio was reborn,
with testing and privileges to commence on this first day of 2004.

Whoa there! How could that happen?

And if it somehow did, what spectrum, power and modes would be allowed? What
services would give up spectrum?

What should the testing regimen be?

Depends entire on what the "new" service in this alternate-history line is
like, don;t you think?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Brian January 1st 04 04:27 PM

(N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Let's say that for one reason or another that Hams never got back their
access to the airwaves after WW1.

Could have very well happened, if not for the ARRL. Or, amateur radio could
have been legislated out of existence at one of the radio conferences in the
early 1920s. But fortunately it didn't happen.

Fast forward to January 1, 2004. In 2003, amateur radio was reborn,
with testing and privileges to commence on this first day of 2004.

Whoa there! How could that happen?

And if it somehow did, what spectrum, power and modes would be allowed? What
services would give up spectrum?

What should the testing regimen be?

Depends entire on what the "new" service in this alternate-history line is
like, don;t you think?

No, it's bad grammar. Good grammar would be "How many minutes does it
take to send a FAX image?"

Mike Coslo January 1st 04 07:50 PM

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Let's say that for one reason or another that Hams never got back their
access to the airwaves after WW1.

Could have very well happened, if not for the ARRL. Or, amateur radio could
have been legislated out of existence at one of the radio conferences in the
early 1920s. But fortunately it didn't happen.

Fast forward to January 1, 2004. In 2003, amateur radio was reborn,
with testing and privileges to commence on this first day of 2004.

Whoa there! How could that happen?

And if it somehow did, what spectrum, power and modes would be allowed? What
services would give up spectrum?

Aww, don't make me define too much Jim! Okay, lets say that in the
rebirth, fueled by concerns for homeland security, that a a loosely
organized group of non-professional communication savvy people that
might be able to respond to disasters or the is made.

Assume that it is decided that this group should have some technical
abilities, so that if need be, they might stand a chance of getting a
station operational under adverse conditions.

The philosophy is that these people would pursue the service as a
hobby, working for enjoyment while honing operational skills.

Let's say that amateurs are allocated some frequencies. I'll assume
that the bands I not will be similar in width to what we have now:

2 meters
10 meters
20 meters
40 meters - or nearby, away from broadcasting frequencies
80 meters

The various frequencies are chosen to take advantage of propagation
characteristics.

No UHF or above, no 160 meters.

What should the testing regimen be?

Depends entire on what the "new" service in this alternate-history line is
like, don;t you think?

Work with me a little bit, Jim! This can be a fun exercise. See what
you can come up with based on what I gave you so far.

- Mike KB3EIA -

KØHB January 1st 04 08:09 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote

Here is a hypothetical situation:

97.1 To get an Amateur Radio license, you are required to pass
a technical test to show that you understand how to build simple
equipment which meets spectral purity specifications of (.....blah,
blah, blah). You will be issued a license and callsign when you
pass the test. Transmit your call sign once every 10 minutes when
on the air.

97.2 Your power limit is 1.5KW to the antenna.

97.3 Here are your bands. Stay inside of them.

97.4 Your are encouraged to tinker and experiment and communicate
and do public service and talk to strangers in far away lands and
launch communications satellites into space and any other cool
technical "radio stuff" you may think up. The government doesn't
care what mode you use for any of this, except that 10 years from
today, all non-digitized modes will be retired.

97.5 Play nice. We'll try to keep the CBers out of your hair.
Deliberate interference, unresolved dirty signals, or other asinine
behavior on your part will cause Riley Hollingsworth to come and
permanently kick your ass off the playground. Have fun.

Love always,
/signed/ FCC

Just as the amateur service thrived on the challenge of being "banished" to
the
shortwaves back 80 years ago or so, I think another "challenge" is needed to
revitalize the spirit of experimentation and invention. We need to be
kicked
out of our comfort zone.

Give us the authority to freely tinker, explore, innovate, and generally be
"hams" again. That's how we "colonized" the electromagnetic spectrum,
"proved
it in", and "made it safe for commerce". As long as we don't spill out of
our assigned segments, let us play without technical micro-management.
Who knows what we might develop!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Michael Black January 1st 04 10:24 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in message t...
Here is a hypothetical situation:

Let's say that for one reason or another that Hams never got back their
access to the airwaves after WW1.

Fast forward to January 1, 2004. In 2003, amateur radio was reborn,
with testing and privileges to commence on this first day of 2004.

What should the testing regimen be?

- Mike KB3EIA -

It wouldn't be amateur radio.

Amateur radio derives from that time and place where radio began.
It was there before there were rules, or most of the technology that
came later. It also came before there was much clue about what
the new technology could be used for, and before there were well defined
radio services.

Anateur radio exists because hams staked out the territory before
most people knew about radio. Amateur radio did not see others
making use of the technology and then claim they needed space;
they put the technology to use, and helped push the technology
and the applications that came later.

For something to start now, one has to wonder what the purpose
would be? It's certainly not about getting in on emerging technology.
Without the history of radio behind it, then there is no way it
would be the same sort of service. Even things like contesting
derive from those early days, when being able to reach further
and further was a reflection of the effort put into the equipment
and antennas, and the contests were a means of testing it, or
testing radio itself. Witness the TransAtlantic Tests in December
of 1921; a form of contest yet the whole point was to see if
those useless shortwave frequencies where hams had been relegated
once rules were set in place could actually be used to span the
Atlantic.

People are forever saying that amateur radio can't compete with
today's technology, when everyone can get a cellphone or an FRS
transceiver, and use the internet. Put in those terms,
there is no point to amateur radio. And anything created
today would take that into consideration.

A very important part of amateur radio is it's history, because
it's an important history, not just to the hobby but to radio
itself. Take that away, and it could not be anything close
to what it is now.

Michael VE2BVW

Phil Kane January 2nd 04 01:37 AM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:50:25 GMT, Mike Coslo wrote:

Work with me a little bit, Jim! This can be a fun exercise. See what
you can come up with based on what I gave you so far.

Based on what you gave so far, those volunteers would be sworn in as
members of the Sheriff's Radio Reserve and given assigments to use
commercial equipment and departmental procedures on those frequencies,
similar in a lot of respects to CAP and MARS operation.

The local Sheriff's Deparment tried to do that when we (AREC/RACES)
approached them to be a "served agency". Because we were organized
and operational before that, we could tell them to play another tune
on their trombone because we report to the Emergency Management folks
some of whom are hams anyhow.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

N2EY January 3rd 04 04:56 PM

In article ,
(Michael Black) writes:

Mike Coslo wrote in message
et...
[...]

Every word of that bears repeating.

For once I can't think of anything to add except "WELL SAID"

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo January 3rd 04 06:08 PM

N2EY wrote:

In article ,
(Michael Black) writes:

Mike Coslo wrote in message
. net...

[...]

Sure it is. The whole situation is hypothetical, and yes, the hobby
would be different, especially if it started up again today after a long
long absence.

Okay, I give up. This was an attempt to get people to use their
imaginations, but other than Hans, no one want to play.

Let's get back to debating Morse code!! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Leo January 4th 04 05:06 AM

Mike,

I didn't get very far with this concept when I tried to introduce it a
few months back either. I thought at the time that it might at least
get some out-of-the-box thinking going, and remove the bonds of
history and tradition which so often form the basis of reason for
discussions in this forum -- but alas, it met a simlilar fate......

Ironicaly, one of the responses that you received was, with respect to
the history of amateur radio, "Take that away, and it could not be
anything close to what it is now". Say, wasn't that the whole point
of the discussion? :)

Good try, though!

73, Leo

snip