Old March 26th 04, 12:47 AM
Arnie Macy

"Arnie Macy" wrote ...

I understand your point, but the intent of this section in the FCC rules

was
to stop Ham radio from being used for commercial purposes, not to prohibit
emergency communications. Nothing in the rules prohibits use of this
equipment during an emergency by any licensed person. Or for that matter,
any person whatever. As I said, our Ham equipment is being used for
redundancy, so for all practical purposes, it will never be used for

routine
communication -- other than testing to ensure it is working properly.

I just wanted to add that there are always exceptions to the rule. Two that
I can think of, right off hand, would be the Space Shuttle Crew (obviously
government employees) and Federal, State, and local EM directors and staff
(many of whom are Hams). Do you really think either of the aforementioned
would not be allowed to use their privileges because of part 97?

Arnie -

Old March 26th 04, 03:19 PM
Mike Coslo

Jim, with each others help, we can avoid feeding the trolls! 8^)

ahem!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 26th 04, 03:34 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

I make a pretty good homemade pizza - sauce *and* crust. No, you can't have
any.

Did you know they still make Chef Boyardee Pizza kits Jim?

- mike KB3EIA -

Old March 26th 04, 05:34 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "Arnie Macy"
writes:

I just wanted to add that there are always exceptions to the rule. Two that
I can think of, right off hand, would be the Space Shuttle Crew (obviously
government employees) and Federal, State, and local EM directors and staff
(many of whom are Hams). Do you really think either of the aforementioned
would not be allowed to use their privileges because of part 97?

Government employees engaged in government activities would be
under regulations from the NTIA, not the FCC.

Part 97, Title 47 C.F.R. applies to civil (and rrap) U.S. radio
amateurs. Title 47 C.F.R. applies only to civil U.S. radio services.
Have you got the distinction clear yet?
Hello?

Plonk

LHA / WMD
Old March 26th 04, 05:34 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "Arnie Macy"
writes:

"Len Over 21" wrote ...

1960s, Arnie. Actually I don't care what you did before since it
wasn't much to do with electronics (which includes radio).

My apologies, 1960s electrical theory

You are still WRONG. THEORY doesn't go out of date unless a
new theory is shown and agreed to replace it.

If you ever got into the guts of anything electronic, you would know
that. But, you apparently don't know that because you don't go
into electronics innards.

Labels and cute names and acronyms applied to something do
NOT change theory.

Oh my, give you a Title and you really become difficult, don't you?

For your information (since you apparently don't know) the
VTC/Scotty is applied across the military services in a wide variety of
applications.

Video Tape Cassette?

Show us the references where we all might learn of these
"new revelations" for a "wide variety of applications" in
Communications. Give us TM numbers, FM numbers, etc.

Sheesh, Leonard. We don't use much in the way of milspec electronics
anymore. The new theory adopted by the armed services in 1994 relies
heavily on commercially available gear.

Are you sleeping on your COTS?

The day of everything having to be milspec is long gone.

Bravo Sierra. Those are still here. So are Military Specifications,
abbreviated "Mil Spec" among those of us who still have to use
them.

Do you know what COTS is? Ask around. Don't sleep on the job.

The FAR "requires" that we use commercial gear when
available, or modify it where possible for that use. "A key goal of federal
aquisition reform is to maximize the use of commercial supplies and
services. the FAR requires activities to explore the use of commercial
items to meet their needs." I learned this when I was being certified as a
COR on a 6 million dollar contract.

Wow, the "Six Million Dollar Ham!" "...We have the technology, we
can rebuild Arnie..." Cut to promo, voice-over "Coming to your
favorite channel any day now...!", up exciting music bkgd, take
title...

When are you being awarded a medal for that? Will it be on CSPAN?

Got both CSPAN channels here.

Nearly everything that we aquired for
use in EM was either strictly commercial gear, or adapted from commercial
gear. (as per the rewuirements of the FAR)

The VTC is video teleconferencing.

Old stuff, senior. I was teleconferencing back in 1981, four locations
tied in, two with audio-video, two with only audio. In 1955 I was in a
two-location teleconference between two ACAN stations, the TTY page
opaque-projected on a screen with a voice circuit in parallel for all the
brass (as lowest rank with three-up and one down I was there only for
any operational specifics but was never called up).

Fancy acronyms you've picked up is just a form of name-dropping.
You can try sprinkling them into casual conversation to impress
friends and neighbors, but that doesn't mean you've DONE those
things.

If you mean the little palmtop unit favored in Europe and the UK,
I do.

WOW, I'm impressed. Leonard has made it out of the 1960s. Very good. BTW,
it's also favored in the Pentagon.

Wow, implying you haunt the hallowed hauls, I mean, halls of the
Big 5 Building? How many stars you wearing now?

Do you know what a "raspberry" is? Here, have one from me
to you.

For someone that eschews personal attack so often, you seem to be very good
at it.

Your first post in here after a long absence was nothing but a
direct personal attack on me. You want to attack, then expect
lots of return fire. Not my problem. Got more ammo for that
than you realize.

You got any raspberries? If so, take one. EAT IT.

Plonk

LHA / WMD

Old March 26th 04, 05:59 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Jim, with each others help, we can avoid feeding the trolls! 8^)

ahem!

Yes, secure this Chat Room for your own private little klatch.

Send a memo to that Schleck guy and close it off so you won't
be disturbed.

Plonk

LHA / WMD
Old March 26th 04, 08:21 PM
Mike Coslo

Len Over 21 wrote:

Plonk

Finally! Thank you!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 27th 04, 03:29 AM
William

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Arnie, please don't ask me to bless what others do on amateur radio.
I've been heavily criticized for a couple of positions that I've taken
wrt a literal "interpretation" of Part 97.

1. The no monetary rule, and repeater owners charging "dues" for
repeater use.

2. Administering a Farnsworth exam when Part 97 clearly states "Morse
Code."

I don't make the rules, and I don't take it upon myself to interpret
workarounds to what Part 97 states.

I leave that sort of work to the experts on RRAP and the FCC.

bb
Old March 27th 04, 05:58 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

Plonk

Finally! Thank you!

Plink.

LHA / WMD

Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 44 December 11th 04 02:05 AM
Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 0 December 7th 04 10:44 PM
WRONG PHONETICS Caveat Lector Dx 1 September 21st 03 04:22 PM
GAY BISHOPS: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? Don Souter General 0 July 3rd 03 11:51 PM