RadioBanter

-   -   WIRING question ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27608-re-wiring-question.html)

Mike Coslo July 4th 04 02:24 PM

WIRING question ?

Bob Wright wrote:

"tcrewe" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

I have my CB and SCANNER wired directly to the battery...

Now I was given a CB AMPLIFIER and am going to wire this also to the
battery..

I have my 2 amps for my STEREO wired to the amp...

QUESTION is ??? - I am adding one more thing to my battery... IS this

going

to damage the CAR BATTERY...?

You probably won't. I suspect you won't be running the linear at the
same time as the audio amp, so at any given time, the current draw
shouldn't overwhelm your truck's electrical system.

As a side note, you do know that running that CB amplifier will be
illegal, don't you?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Steve Robeson K4CAP July 4th 04 07:46 PM

Subject: WIRING question ?
From: "Bob Wright"
Date: 7/4/2004 1:33 PM Central Standard Time

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

As a side note, you do know that running that CB amplifier will be
illegal, don't you?

No, that is not correct. There is no law against running a CB amp.
in you vehicle. It is completely legal.

Seems we have a surplus of "pretty darned stupid" around here today.

Another illiterate CB idiot.

Steve, K4YZ

Steve Robeson K4CAP July 4th 04 07:47 PM

From: "Mark"
Date: 7/4/2004 1:39 PM Central Standard Time
Wyoming is the only state at this time that requires an
"amplifier endorsement" on your driver's license. But that is just a
matter
of paying the $1 fee, getting the endorsement, then you are completely
legal.

Oooops...I as wrong...

We have a DOUBLE dose of "pretty darned stupid" today.

Steve, K4YZ

Nosey July 4th 04 08:30 PM

Mark wrote:
You are mistaken. There is no law or FCC regulation against using
a CB amplifier. The FCC canceled that rule years ago. You are
free to use any power amp. you want, at home or in your vehicle.

Mark

If the FCC canceled that law years ago they need to update their website.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...ations/#linear

Mike Coslo July 4th 04 08:59 PM

Mark wrote:
Yeah, I know, seems federal bureaucrats are always lazy and a
day late and a dollar short. They should have removed that
years ago.

"Nosey" wrote in message

Mark wrote:

You are mistaken. There is no law or FCC regulation against using
a CB amplifier. The FCC canceled that rule years ago. You are
free to use any power amp. you want, at home or in your vehicle.

Mark

If the FCC canceled that law years ago they need to update their website.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...ations/#linear

Okay Mark. I won't be calling anyone less than smart or anything. But
you can supply the citations where the FCC said it allows Linear RF
amplifiers in vehicles is legal, can't you?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Robert Casey July 4th 04 09:22 PM

Nosey wrote:

Mark wrote:

You are mistaken. There is no law or FCC regulation against using
a CB amplifier. The FCC canceled that rule years ago. You are
free to use any power amp. you want, at home or in your vehicle.

Mark

If the FCC canceled that law years ago they need to update their website.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...ations/#linear

Oh, you could use a "CB" amp on any ham band *IF* you have the grade of
ham license
for whatever band/subband you wish to use. But you better clean up the
harmonics it
will likely produce....

Da Shadow July 4th 04 11:37 PM

Anything that draws power from your auto electrical system will decresae
mileage -- by how much depends on the current draw.

E.G., your car headlights and night lights

--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows
"ETSS" wrote in message
I heard that if you run a big radio it will cut down on your gas
mileage. Is that true?

Bruno DeValey

Yofuri July 5th 04 01:38 AM

You might want to familiarize yourself with the current version of
47CFR95.411.

Having it explained to you could cost you 10,000 Federal frogskins.

Jerry July 5th 04 04:10 AM

Bob Wright wrote:

No, that is not correct. There is no law against running a CB amp.
in you vehicle. It is completely legal.

I'd be very interested in seeing a link to back that up. As far as I
know it is very illegal to use a CB linear. You can own one, buy one,
sell one but you cannot use it on a CB. Last I heard the FCC would not
only fine you but confiscate your gear also. Besides if the radio is
not properly set up and tweaked to run with a amp it is going to sound
like trash any way.

Jerry

TBone July 5th 04 07:10 AM

Really? Care to back that up!

"Top Dog" wrote in message
CB amps. have always been legal.....Everyone is confused, because
ham radio amps. have always been illegal.

Mutt