RadioBanter

-   -   Ham Radio Club Requirements (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27611-re-ham-radio-club-requirements.html)

Dee D. Flint July 5th 04 02:45 PM

Ham Radio Club Requirements

"Nathan C Young" wrote in message
If I have a commercial license and work in broadcasting, would
I still be allowed to attend a ham radio club meeting? Would I be
accepted as a fellow radio brother?

Thanks,

NCY

In any good club, YES. We have members in our club who have no license of
any kind. They just like to be involved in the club and see the
presentations. Anyone who has any interest in ham radio is welcomed.
However, expect them to encourage you to get an amateur license too.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

William July 5th 04 10:42 PM

"Nathan C Young" wrote in message ...
If I have a commercial license and work in broadcasting, would
I still be allowed to attend a ham radio club meeting? Would I be
accepted as a fellow radio brother?

Thanks,

NCY

I would like to think so, but...

Do you also have an amateur license?

Just kidding - that only matters here on RRAP, not at club meetings.

Da Shadow July 5th 04 11:47 PM

Many clubs I know of -- welcome visitors and most have associate memberships
for non-hams -- ask the club you are interested in.

--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows

D. Stussy July 8th 04 06:53 AM

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Nathan C Young wrote:
If I have a commercial license and work in broadcasting, would
I still be allowed to attend a ham radio club meeting? Would I be
accepted as a fellow radio brother?

It will depend on the club and their bylaws.

In the clubs I belong to, one must either possess a valid amateur radio license
or, for one of them, be an immediate family member of a licensee (usually a
spouse or child) who is himself a member, in order to be a MEMBER of the club.
Unlicensed guests of all sorts are welcome to attend meetings and such for the
purpose of deciding if they want to get a license.

Lumushahs July 9th 04 06:26 AM

From: "D. Stussy"

In the clubs I belong to, one must either possess a valid amateur radio

license

I have been to several clubs, and they have never required a licence to be a
member. If they requred one, they don't enforce it.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Nathan C Young wrote:
If I have a commercial license and work in broadcasting, would
I still be allowed to attend a ham radio club meeting? Would I be
accepted as a fellow radio brother?

Yes, but you would have to call yourself a "ham", not a "radio brother". If you
would like to refer to yourself as a piece of meat, that's your preference.

In my opinion, if you enjoy radio as a hobby, you need not identify with the
historical or cultural reference to the word "ham". If you came from outside
that context, but also enjoy radio, you should not call yourself a "ham". Most
likely, you have came from outside the context, so the terminology of the word
"ham" would not apply to you.

Mike Coslo July 9th 04 04:37 PM

From: "D. Stussy"

[...]

Now you gave me a headache wading through that one, Vipul! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA - happy to be a Ham!

Dee D. Flint July 9th 04 08:18 PM

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
g...
On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Nathan C Young wrote:
If I have a commercial license and work in broadcasting, would
I still be allowed to attend a ham radio club meeting? Would I be
accepted as a fellow radio brother?

It will depend on the club and their bylaws.

In the clubs I belong to, one must either possess a valid amateur radio

license
or, for one of them, be an immediate family member of a licensee (usually

spouse or child) who is himself a member, in order to be a MEMBER of the

club.
Unlicensed guests of all sorts are welcome to attend meetings and such for

the
purpose of deciding if they want to get a license.

In our club, anyone with an interest in the subject of amateur radio can be
a member, licensed or not. We have at least two unlicensed club members who
come to the club meetings regularly for the sake of the presentations we
have at each meeting.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Steve Robeson K4CAP July 10th 04 06:42 AM

Subject: Ham Radio Club Requirements
From: Mike Coslo
Date: 7/9/2004 10:37 AM Central Standard Time

In my opinion, if you enjoy radio as a hobby, you need not identify with

the
historical or cultural reference to the word "ham". If you came from

outside
that context, but also enjoy radio, you should not call yourself a "ham".

Most
likely, you have came from outside the context, so the terminology of the

word
"ham" would not apply to you.

Now you gave me a headache wading through that one, Vipul! 8^)

For sure...

I was still trying to figure out who's on first...!

73

Steve, K4YZ