RadioBanter

-   -   Awesome trainer! (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27973-awesome-trainer.html)

[email protected] December 12th 04 02:51 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
"N2EY" wrote

I've been to that memorial. Much more eloquent
than most.

Whoever did that memorial absolutely nailed the essence of being an

American
Bluejacket. As Dex so aptly puts it ---

"Hey world, you name the game... Pick out your chunk of ocean and

we'll find you
and whip your ass."

....or as someone else put it at http://tinyurl.com/3dnws

73, de Hans, K0HB

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash."
Sir Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty . . .=20

w3rv

KØHB December 12th 04 03:04 PM

wrote

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash."
Sir Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty . . .

w3rv

The "First Lord" at that point in his life was a political hack without a clue.
(But you already knew that)

3, de Hans, K0HB

William December 12th 04 05:30 PM

Must be that "real military experience" talking.

Len Over 21 December 12th 04 07:03 PM

In article . com, "William"
writes:

Must be that "real military experience" talking.

Heh heh heh. Interesting series of posts under two threads.

The first set, almost all from anonymous posters, decry any and
all nostalgia largely because they had NO such experience in
their life...but, they want to hurt those who HAVE had such
experiences in some way. :-)

The next set comes from the PCTA extras who also NEVER
served in any military who are bitching about the nostalgia in
regards to military experience. They "Must" make their
feelings known although they don't realize that others will read
a much different take on their postings. :-)

One of the more convoluted postings comes from another PCTA
extra who NEVER served (he says "he serves in 'other' ways but
never explains those 'other' ways). He glories in the past and the
emotion of symbolism...PROVIDED such symbolism features
morsemanship and plays up the morse myths of olde tyme radio.
Strangely, this never-serving PCTA extra wants to chide those of
us who have served on our behavior towards others. :-)

The next set of postings will all be about the Glory of Morse and
The Sea (it has already started, in fact). Those "sewer pipe"
folk (whatever that means) haven't really accepted any other radio
users/operators who served on land or in the air WITHOUT needing
all those mighty macho morsemanship skills. We "landlubbers"
(term used as a sort-of pejorative by swaggering sea-goers) are
supposedly nobodies due to the lack of morsebeeping in our
military records. We should not associate with their high
holinesses of the on-off keying ham hocked morse legions.

The Morse Myths are alive and well in the Archaic Radiotelegraphy
Society (aka the ARS)! The Beeper Brotherhood continues...

ex-RA16408336, U.S.Army 1952-1960

N2EY December 12th 04 07:16 PM

In article .com,
writes:

K=D8HB wrote:
"N2EY" wrote

I've been to that memorial. Much more eloquent
than most.

Whoever did that memorial absolutely nailed the essence of being an

American
Bluejacket. As Dex so aptly puts it ---

"Hey world, you name the game... Pick out your chunk of ocean and

we'll find you
and whip your ass."

....or as someone else put it at
http://tinyurl.com/3dnws

73, de Hans, K0HB

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash."
Sir Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty . . .=20

What part of the US Navy did he serve in?

73 de Jim, N2EY

KØHB December 12th 04 07:19 PM

"Len Over 21" wrote

Those "sewer pipe" folk (whatever that means) haven't
really accepted any other radio users/operators who
served on land or in the air WITHOUT needing
all those mighty macho morsemanship skills. We "landlubbers"
(term used as a sort-of pejorative by swaggering sea-goers) are
supposedly nobodies due to the lack of morsebeeping in our
military records.

What's the matter, Len? Are you feeling left out of the conversation?

Contrary to your pedandic whining, I have nothing but positive regard for anyone
who served in any Armed Force, regardless of the color of their uniform, their
NEC (MOS to you), and whether or not they know what a sewer-pipe Radioman is (I
could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you).

3, de Hans, K0HB

[email protected] December 12th 04 07:23 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum,

sodomy
and the lash."
Sir Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty . . .

w3rv

The "First Lord" at that point in his life was a political hack

without a clue.
(But you already knew that)

Yup.

'Twas a troll.

Figgered it might pull a bottom-feeder or two out from under their
rocks.

It did.=20

=20
3, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

KØHB December 12th 04 07:44 PM

wrote

Figgered it might pull a bottom-feeder or two out from under their
rocks.

'Bottom feeder'? What an interesting comment from one who apparently never
mustered up enough balls to wear a uniform himself.

3, de Hans, K0HB

Charles Brabham December 12th 04 07:57 PM

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote

Figgered it might pull a bottom-feeder or two out from under their
rocks.

'Bottom feeder'? What an interesting comment from one who apparently
never mustered up enough balls to wear a uniform himself.

3, de Hans, K0HB

I am one of those who once wore a uniform, and yes it did take some ball to
wear it... The guy who owned it got pretty mad!

Charles, N5PVL

JAMES HAMPTON December 12th 04 08:33 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Casey"

writes:

how the tales of "I was a one-of-a-kind" super hero

As I read Hans' and Jim's and others' stories of their USN, USCG and

Merchant
Marine experiences, one thing that is clear to me is that they do *not*

claim
to be "one-of-a-kind" at all. Rather, they are simply relating their
experiences as part of a community. That's why the statue of a single

sailor in
Washington DC can express so much.

Hello, Jim

Heck, anyone who has used one of those old green machines knows how they
were. Folks should be very grateful for the modern pc. The electronics are
far more rugged than the old teletypes. I've often stared at the 100 word
per minute mechanical beasties clanking away and wondered how they could do
that without flying apart. Of course, they did break down now and then ...
;)

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA