Old December 29th 04, 12:04 AM
Mike Coslo

Default 24 GHz woes?

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 29th 04, 02:27 AM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:04:32 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

They used to say the same thing about the bands above 2 meters.

We lost 220-222 MHz. That isn't important unless all the 2m and 3/4m
frequency pairs are used up. It's getting that way here in Ducktown.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old December 29th 04, 06:00 AM
Len Over 21

In article ws.com, "Phil
Kane" writes:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:04:32 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

They used to say the same thing about the bands above 2 meters.

We lost 220-222 MHz. That isn't important unless all the 2m and 3/4m
frequency pairs are used up.

The two-twenty loss (part of the old band there) was "lost" to hams
some time ago. The Condor Net has been living and doing fine in
what is left above it. BIG network, multiple states involved, all tone
signalling to link along the net, designed that way before micro-
processors became commonplace.

Don't worry, anyone. Morsemanship is still necessary to get on HF
as an amateur. The professionals don't need any morsemanship,
don't use it.

Old December 29th 04, 03:32 PM
Mike Coslo

Barry OGrady wrote:
On 29 Dec 2004 05:00:06 GMT, (Len Over 21) wrote:

In article ws.com, "Phil
Kane" writes:

[...]

No its not. My amateur license lets me use all amateur bands with no knowledge
of morse.

Barry, I think you're new to the group. As far as I can figure,
Lenover21 kind of speaks out against Morse qualified Hams, or at least
those who support Morse code testing every chance he gets. He has some
pretty strong feelings in that way. That is how we get Morse related
comments here in this thread. In the US of A, there is no Morse code
testing for access to Ham frequencies above 30 MHz, so this thread
doesn't have much to do with Morse code testing.

But that's Len, and we all like him anyhow (at least I do)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Mike Coslo

Barry OGrady wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:27:19 -0800 (PST), "Phil Kane" wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:04:32 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

They used to say the same thing about the bands above 2 meters.

There are no bands above 2 meters. Where you thinking of two metres?

Ahhhh, now I get it. Here we use "meter" as the spelling where you would
use "metres". Just like color vs. colour.

We lost 220-222 MHz. That isn't important unless all the 2m and 3/4m
frequency pairs are used up. It's getting that way here in Ducktown.

Do you have more repeaters than hams?

It can be a problem! In my investigations into near space ballooning, we
are pretty much prevented from using 2 meters for a band unless we go
for a simplex repeater. There are a LOT of 2 meter repeaters. Just about
everywhere we would be hitting a lot of repeaters when we keyed up from
100,000 feet. So we will probably use the 70 centimeter band for our
repeater.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 29th 04, 06:56 PM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:32:00 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

Barry, I think you're new to the group.

BarryO has posted here for quite a while. He appears to be an
Australian ham and keeps making statements about his license
(excuse me - "licence") privileges and other off-the-wall things
designed merely to pull chains rather than to contribute to the
discussion at hand. On things like FCC amateur radio policy, he
rarely hits the mark.

I can't decide whether to put him back in my killfile or not.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old December 29th 04, 09:54 PM
Len Over 21

Kane" writes:

[...]

So...is there some secret U.S. amateur regulation restructuring
that has already removed the morse code test?!? [other than a
specific, individual medical waiver of it, possible years ago]

My commercial license let me transmit RF on a far wider range
of the EM spectrum than just the amateur bands, certainly those
few spectrum slices allocated on a primary basis to just amateurs.

Didn't even need any "license" to transmit on HF, on VHF, on UHF
and on microwaves 51+ years ago when in military service.

An amateur radio operator license is NOT a noble title indicating
a licensee is "superior" to all other human beings...except in the
personal imaginings of a few who are lost in a fantasyland.

Old December 29th 04, 10:44 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

Hello, Phil and Barry

As a kind hearted soul who is willing to assist some folks having
communications difficulties, I have asked a friend of mine in the U.K. for
some assistance.

Here is his reply:
********* start of copied message**********
Hi James and All,

I will willingly help you with your project Jim, just send me what you
want to say in your words and I will convert it to an English style of
your choosing.

I can do you, the Queens English, London Cockney, London North, London
South, not that I have ever been south of the river, Middle England,
West Country or Welsh (real Welsh mind, not Canadian Welsh), LOL.
********* end copy*********

So, if Barry would be so kind to inform us as to what kind of colour should
be applied to our conversation, I shall ask my friend, Bernie, in the U.K.
to translate for us.

With all due regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:04:32 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

They used to say the same thing about the bands above 2 meters.

There are no bands above 2 meters. Where you thinking of two metres?

We lost 220-222 MHz. That isn't important unless all the 2m and 3/4m
frequency pairs are used up. It's getting that way here in Ducktown.

Do you have more repeaters than hams?

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

-Barry
========
"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held

responsible;
in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
[A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

Old December 30th 04, 05:24 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Ahhhh, now I get it. Here we use "meter" as the spelling where you would
use "metres". Just like color vs. colour.

A litre is two pints and a quartre... :-)

Old December 30th 04, 07:12 AM
Len Over 21

Kane" writes:

[...]

CW computer interface woes ... J999w General 1 November 2nd 04 09:04 PM
Cell phone woes Mike Coslo Policy 46 April 27th 04 09:03 PM
Magloop woes Mike Coslo Antenna 13 November 11th 03 12:49 PM