RadioBanter

-   -   The Death of Amateur Radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/64328-death-amateur-radio.html)

Michael Coslo February 17th 05 07:16 PM

wrote:
Charles Brabham wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

It seems to me that one of the limitations of amateur packet radio

is

that
it hasn't evolved much past the 1200 baud/BBS mindset of 20+ years

ago.

Heck,
even trailingedge computer types like me have been running 56k

dialup

modems for almost a decade!

Does your 56kb dialup modem work pretty good with your 2-meter rig?

Wow! -

Why didn't we BBS operators think of this YEARS ago!

Ya missed the point, Charles.

1200 baud packet is a make-do, chosen to be quick and cheap. All you
have to do is interface to an FM voice radio.

Getting a significant improvement in bandwidth would mean actually
*building radios* designed for the purpose. Which simply hasn't
happened in large numbers.

Arrgh. I havn't thought much about it, but yes, you are right. A rig
with both fetures could be designed without too much trouble.

Kind of a sad commentary. When SSB became popular in amateur radio,
hams built entire transmitters, receivers and transceivers for the
mode. Once its popularity was established, manufacturers followed.

When VHF/UHF FM voice became popular in amateur radio, there was a mix
of homebrew and converted-land-mobile equipment used by hams. Once its
popularity was established, manufacturers followed.

But from what I can see, the packet folks aren't much interested in
*building radios* from scratch. That's why the old standards are still
in use.

Bingo! - mike KB3EIA -

bb February 17th 05 10:50 PM

Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Heil wrote:

If only we could introduce Todd to WA8ULX.

You seem to be having attribution problems, "bb". I did not write

the
above.

Dave K8MN

David, I have no attribution problem. I know who said what. bb

Todd Daugherty February 18th 05 04:18 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Todd Daugherty wrote:
I have no idea what you're saying there, Todd.

Packet can be ran on both VHF, UHF, and HF

Ah! Now I understand.

Who decides how much time each system gets? If systems have to wait

for
the frequency to be quiet, the existing systems could experience
"interference" if they can't get a byte in edgewise.

If you know anything about Packet...Packet runs on a "time-shifting"

system.
A tnc will listen on the frequency and transmit when the frequency

isn't
being used. This is called time-shifting.

Of course.

Now suppose there are three stations on a frequency, each with about
the same level of traffic. Each will wind up with about 1/3 of the time
on the air.

But if a new station comes on frequency with a lot of stuff to send,
those existing stations will have to wait and wait for the frequency to
be quiet. While that's not "interference" in the classical QRM sense,
it *is* interference in the sense that throughput is reduced.

That's what on VHF here in Illinois So much qrm and interference from
fowarding.

This guy and his
little group were nothing more then assholes.

Well, that's *your* opinion...

It's not my opinion it a fact.

It's an opinion, noting more. That's a fact! ;-)

Sure - but 1200 lives on as the most popular, right?

1200 baud is popular so is 300 baud on HF. look THC's can go the

higher
speeds; there are TNC's out there that can do 14.4K and 56kb.

Of course!

The problem
isn't the TNC's; the problems is the radio. Radio's can not key up

fast
enough that has always been the main problem with high speed packet.

So build new radios specifically for high speed packet. We're radio
amateurs, right? We're one of the few - maybe the only! - radio
services
that even *allow* licensees to build radios without a whole bunch of
certifications and such.

So what's the big deal about building your own highspeed packet radio
from scratch? I've built several HF rigs from scratch....

better yet idea is to figure out how those wireless cards operate and a way
to convert them into the ham bands.

The
problem with packet here was the user frequency was being over ran

by
BBS's
automatic fowarding and that's what drove off all the users. 1200
baud would
work if the network was set up right.

You mean, set up the way you'd like.

It still seems to me that what you wanted was for the existing system
to see it your way, rather than creating a new system.

NO, Look I know the guy who ran and owned the majority of nodes here

in
Illinois. He shut the system down because The BBS operators wouldn't

move
their fowarding to the backbone system.

Why wouldn't they move it to the backbone system?

I really have no idea but I have a system that would resolve all those
problems.

Isn't the "user frequency" for users? If so, it seems to me that the
forwarding should go by the backbone system. To do otherwise is
like putting the locals and expresses all on the same track, and
then complaining because there are so many late trains.

So true.

Instead they were running it on the
Users frequency. (in Illinois there was only ONE USER FREQUENCY) So

the BBS
were fowarding the vast majority of the time and it drove people out

of
packet here in Illinois and they guy who owned the majority of the

network
got ****ed off about it and shut it down.

Ah! Now I understand.

Why wouldn't the BBS folks use the backbone system? And do you blame
the
*owner* of the nodes for shutting them down? They're *his* nodes,
right?
He's got the responsibility for them, right?

SO NOW THERE IS NO PACKET IN ILLINOIS!

That's sad. Is there no one in IL who will put up some nodes?

No one wants to get back into packet...to them packet is dead and a useless
system (this idea is based on how the network was set up)

Again the FCC is barred from controlling
the content of any station.

That's simply not true.

yes and no Under Section 326 of the Communication Act the FCC

is
barred to
control the content of any station.

I'll ask again: What exact verbiage says that?

Well here's the rule read it for yourself
(47 USC 326)
§ 326. Censorship
Nothing in this chapter shall be understood or construed to give

the
Commission the power of censorship over the radio communications or

signals
transmitted by any radio station, and no regulation or condition

shall be
promulgated or fixed by the Commission which shall interfere with

the
right
of free speech by means of radio communication.

OK, fine.

Now you have to define "free speech" and "censorship". Obviously the
FCC's and Supreme's definitions aren't the same as yours.

the only content the FCC is allowed to
control is obscene and indecent material and that's it.

How about commercial content on the ham bands?

How about using radio to help with the commission of crimes?

Are those things allowed under 326?

Those are under other rules and regulation.

Thank you for proving my point! The content and other restrictions of
amateur radio are under other rules and regulations.

The only REAL content amateurs have that is restricted is Obscene and
Indecent material and Commerical type messages.

But who decides what is obscene and indecent?

The Supreme court pretty much defined obscene and in indecent in MillerVs
California, it's that three prong that the courts and the govenment looks
at.

Again if they can have alternative perhaps ALL
amateurs should move off the radio spectrum and uses the
alternative....the Internet.

For certain subjects, that's the right medium.

Death of Amateur Radio? Perhaps you have a bigger part

than
you
realize........

Interesting!

In fact, we're starting to see what may be the "death of the
internet"
- or at least the death of its potential. Viruses, popups,

identity
theft and other shenanigans are causing many people I know to
become
disenchanted with it.

I really dout the internet will die.

Me too. But I see its potential dying.

As a matter of fact Internet 2 is now
out (well right now only some Universities (206 to be exact)

and
government
agencies have it...it will probably be commercialized in about

two to
three
years.). Internet 2 will have a lot more applications and

downloading
will
be faster. (people will be able to download a full length movie
within
minutes instead of days) so I really dout the Internet will die
anytime
soon.

If "internet 2" catches on, it will replace the original.

If you want different content than what is found on current

amateur
packet,
why not provide it yourself? Not in competition with the forsale

folks,
but
on a different frequency or even band. With much higher speed and

more
features?

Because the cost would be too much.

Then there's no way amateur radio can 'compete with the internet'.

Nor
should it.

Then amateur's are doomed, Living with and uses outdated modes of
communication in a digital age aren't going to cut it because nobody

will
want to go into a service that that's (useless Modes) is all their

going to
get.

What "useless modes"?

Again Amateur's have to come up with something new to offer to get

more
people into it.

Oddly enough, most of the new hams I know are fascinated by both the
old and
the new.

There is no packet network around here
any more and the cost would be too high.

For whom?

The problem with any amateur network is that you're dependent upon
individuals or
small groups to put up stations that cost $$ but are mostly used by
others. So the
people who actually put the stations on the air want control over how
they are
used. Which is perfectly reasonable, isn't it?

Like I stated above the Packet network here in Illinois is gone there

is no
Packet here in Illinois due to problem of BBS operators fowarding on

the
user frequency.

That's not a cost issue; it's an organization issue.

It is a cost issue because if you were set up node the old way you have to
pay for radio's, TNC, computers, space, antenna, coax.

A let's not forget some competition
in a service good be a good thing

If it costs too much, doesn't that mean the competition is lost?
K2ASP has described a system that is functioning *today* in his area.
Sounds pretty good. Betcha it didn't get built by people calling

others
assholes.
What I was refering to when I'm talking about Competition is new

idea's and
new modes of communication. I suggest you read my repond to him.

Will do. But it seems to me that if you want new modes, you should be
leading the way, not demanding others do it.

I'm not demanding but one person can't do it all..

As for that
*asshole* I was refering to wasn't even on packet. He was claiming
"Interference" to his station which was sitting 1.905MHZ away from

the
packet frequency. Again he wasn't even on packet he was and is a

ASSHOLE.

Or maybe he's just ignorant of what a good receiver can do...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Phil Kane February 18th 05 05:20 AM

On 17 Feb 2005 11:03:07 -0800, wrote:

The only REAL content amateurs have that is restricted is Obscene and
Indecent material and Commerical type messages.

But who decides what is obscene and indecent?

There are specific case opinions of the Supreme Court of the United
States which define same.

Do not forget that in addition to banning certain types of
content, the FCC also forces certain types of content such as
transmitting station ID at specified times in specific format.

It's even worse for broadcasters who also have to transmit EAS
material, renewal filing notices, and sponsorship notices in
addition to station ID.

None of the above are the "censorship" which is envisioned in Sec.
326, though.

Be happy for what we have and don't have.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Dave Heil February 18th 05 06:08 AM

bb wrote:

Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Heil wrote:

If only we could introduce Todd to WA8ULX.

You seem to be having attribution problems, "bb". I did not write

the
above.

Dave K8MN

David, I have no attribution problem. I know who said what. bb

The attributions say otherwise, "bb".

Dave K8MN

bb February 18th 05 12:29 PM

Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

"bb" wrote in message

ups.com...

Dave Heil wrote:

If only we could introduce Todd to WA8ULX.

You seem to be having attribution problems, "bb". I did not

write
the
above.

Dave K8MN

David, I have no attribution problem. I know who said what. bb

The attributions say otherwise, "bb".

Dave K8MN

Who you gonna believe?

K4YZ February 18th 05 01:33 PM

bb wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

David, I have no attribution problem. I know who said what. bb

The attributions say otherwise, "bb".

Who you gonna believe?

Yeah Dave...You gonna believe an archiving system known for it's
flawless recordkeeping, or a guy caught in numerous mistruths, deceit
and blatant lies?

Think reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal hard.......

73

Steve, K4YZ

Michael Coslo February 18th 05 02:51 PM

bb wrote:

Who you gonna believe?

GHOST BUSTERS!

- Mike KB3EIA -

bb February 18th 05 04:38 PM

bb wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Todd Daugherty wrote:

The
reason amateur radio is going to die is because Amateur radio has

nothing to
offer.

There are thousands and thousands who disagree with you, Todd.

Maybe
what you really mean is that amateur radio has nothing to offer

you.
Feel free to move on. Find another interest.

Heil actually has a point, smug as it is.

I think what we are seeing is the start of this decade's chicken

little
dance.

If only we could introduce Todd to WA8ULX.

Can you figure out the attributions?

Dave Heil February 18th 05 04:48 PM

bb wrote:

Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

Dave Heil wrote:
bb wrote:

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

"bb" wrote in message

ups.com...

Dave Heil wrote:

If only we could introduce Todd to WA8ULX.

You seem to be having attribution problems, "bb". I did not

write
the
above.

David, I have no attribution problem. I know who said what. bb

The attributions say otherwise, "bb".

Who you gonna believe?

Given your track record, especially in recent times (see: """....."""
posts by "bb"), I'm going to have to believe my eyes. You have an
attribution problem. You can attempt to argue the point if you like.
That won't change what was posted.

Dave K8MN