Old September 22nd 05, 01:45 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote

As the Czar of this discussion, how about TELLING us exactly what Obrien's
regional interopability plan is? ;^) Even a little clue might help the
dillatentes like me.

Actually (if you read his piece) OBrien doesn't profess to have a plan, but
rather suggests that Katrina and the impending availability of 700MHz, may be
the catalyst that causes (like a good kick in the ass) serious non-lip-service
attention at the metropolitan and regional levels to survivable incident-wide
first-responder communications systems.

And I'm telling you that IMO any system that doesn't connect areas larger than
"regional" is not going to work under many circumstances.

That's a separate and distinctly different kettle of fish.

Think of intra-incident (first responders, search and rescue) as tactical
communications, and extra-incident (recovery, supply/logistics) as strategic
communications. You need both, but they are completely different animals and
treating them similarly inevitably means that you won't get either one right.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old September 22nd 05, 02:54 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to work, it
has to connect the whole nation.

Mike,

Come back to the discussion when you understand the term "regional
interoperability".

DOS Hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with "connect the whole nation".

Hans, I done some reading!

From what I can see the spectrum is presumed worth a lot of money.

I read about Texas' interoperability plan. They are doing 8 channels in
the 2 meter neighborhood, and also have a 700 MHz plan

http://www.dfwinfo.com/hs/radio/PDF/region40_web.pdf

for the 700 MHz plan. It has a little info, but is heavy on extraneous
stuff.

Looks like we've settled on a 6.25 KHz voice path. That's good!

My opinion is that "regional" don't cut it. It will probably work well
until the big one hits.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old September 22nd 05, 03:11 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On 20 Sep 2005 15:59:09 -0700, wrote in
. com:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

Doubtful. Morse code is the simplest and most univeral method of radio
communication, but is hardly limited to radio -- don't forget that it
was invented for -wire- telegraphy. It has also been used extensively
with optical and other types of communication. It has existed since
before radio was invented, continues to exist outside the sphere of
radio, and certainly won't die if it's abandoned as a requirement for
radio. But as long as Morse code exists, radio operators will continue
to use it.

Now that's not an argument either for or against the dropping of the
code requirement. Like I said before, it's no big deal. And like I
also said before, what -IS- a big deal is the dumbing down of the
written test. I still don't understand why there is so much bitching
(from both sides) about the code test yet almost no discussion about
the 'memory' test. Anyone care to explain that?

Frank, I thought that you weren't a ham?

I'm not.

I've been tempted for years to get my license so I can play around on
160m and UHF (nothing else sounds particulary interesting).

I like 10M. It can be local or around the world.

Some hams refer to it as the "kiddie band" because Techs could use
phone there.

But from
what I have seen of ham radio in the past few years I don't really
like it. Some hams seem to be absorbed in the electronics while others
are into gab sessions; yet few hams are able to grasp the duality of
'radio communications'. And many hams think their amateur status is
the defining characteristic of their existence. Heck, I was a BE for
almost ten years but I don't advertise that fact on a T-shirt and
baseball cap, or sign my name with a "B.E." at the end.

Biological Evaluation?

I thought ham radio was supposed to be a recreational pursuit, not a
religion or political ideology.

For some it's even a pathology.

But from what I see, it seems as if
getting a license means you have to choose sides and fight a heated
battle for what I would expect to be a HOBBY!!!

Those days are numbered. Only the smoldering embers remain.

Old September 22nd 05, 03:18 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote

My opinion is that "regional" don't cut it.

Cuts it just fine when you're talking about regional interoperabilty plans.
These plans concern themselves with intra-regional (not extra-regional)
interoperabilty.

A cop or fireman on the streets of Dallas has no need for communications with a
cop or fireman in Seattle, thus the interop plan doesn't address this
non-existant "need".

But since disasters don't confine themselves to political boundaries, most good
plans do include provisions for communications with immediately adjacent
regions.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old September 22nd 05, 03:26 AM

Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
K=D8HB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

How we gonna connect the nation at 700 MHz?

Hi Mike,

The article had nothing to do with "connecting the nation". It has to =

do with
regional interoperability, the very thing that Katrina aftermath found =

largely
inadequate.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hans, as a retired CPO, you know as well as anybody else that
interoperability of any service is a problem. Recall Grenada where a
grunt used his Sprint calling card on a commercial line to call the
Pentagon and request an Air Force air-strike on a target.

Good grief! It's not just about grunts dying anymore.

You'd think after 09/11/2001 we'd have fast-tracked this stuff!

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to
work, it has to connect the whole nation. When New Orleans is under
water, they don't just need to talk to the locals, they need to get word
out to the whole country - or at least the parts that can send help.

We used an expression in the service, "Train like you fight, fight like
you train."

Why can't this interoperable communications system be something that
they are using -everyday- instead of something sitting on a shelf
awaiting the next emergency, trying to find the one smart guy that can
remember how to make it work?

And since we don't know where the next disaster will strike, that means
the whole country needs to be in the picture.

No big picture thinkers need apply?

- Mike KB3EIA -

True enough. I work in government and find that it lacks qualified
leaders and/or those without vision. FWIW, I'd prefer if no academics
applied either. They're big on ideas, short on just about everything
else.

Old September 22nd 05, 03:34 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote

As the Czar of this discussion, how about TELLING us exactly what Obrie=

n's
regional interopability plan is? ;^) Even a little clue might help the
dillatentes like me.

Actually (if you read his piece) OBrien doesn't profess to have a plan, b=

ut
rather suggests that Katrina and the impending availability of 700MHz, ma=

y be
the catalyst that causes (like a good kick in the ass) serious non-lip-se=

rvice
attention at the metropolitan and regional levels to survivable incident-=

wide
first-responder communications systems.

If 9-11 couldn't accomplish that kick, Katrina sure can't. All the
while the SECDEF and the JCS strive to make the military lighter and
faster, the Senate makes our government more sluggish and stupid. If
only Katrina had been the leader of a Christian Cult.

And I'm telling you that IMO any system that doesn't connect areas larg=

er than
"regional" is not going to work under many circumstances.

That's a separate and distinctly different kettle of fish.

Think of intra-incident (first responders, search and rescue) as tactical
communications, and extra-incident (recovery, supply/logistics) as strate=

gic
communications. You need both, but they are completely different animals=

and
treating them similarly inevitably means that you won't get either one ri=

ght.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hans, you missed your calling in life. You shudda been a communicator.