Old February 20th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
K4YZ

Default Federal Government Kudos for MARS and Amateur Radio

QUOTE FROM THE ARRL WEBSITE

Amateur Radio's Role Gets Favorable Mention in Post-Katrina Report

NEWINGTON, CT, Feb 17, 2006--The Amateur Radio Emergency Service
(ARES), the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) and the HF digital
e-mail system Winlink 2000 all got positive mentions in a post-Katrina
report from the US House of Representatives. US Rep Tom Davis (R-VA)
chaired the panel. References to ARES, MARS and Winlink appear in "A
Failure of Initiative"--the final report of the Select Bipartisan
Committee to investigate the preparation for and response to Hurricane
Katrina.

"Like all levels of government," the 364-page report notes, the
National Communication System (NCS), "was not able to address all
aspects of the damage to the communications infrastructure of the Gulf
States."

"Volunteers at the Montgomery, Alabama, Red Cross volunteer
marshaling center--Dave Hyatt, K1DAV of Torrington, and Dave Wilcox,
K1DJW, of New Hartford. Sarratt spent more than a month processing
Amateur Radio volunteers for deployment to the Gulf Coast.

"MARS was cited for its role as part of the Shared Resources High
Frequency Radio Program (SHARES), an emergency federal communication
system put into play when other resources are unavailable. The report
says that "within days" of Katrina's landfall, NCS called upon more
than 430 SHARES stations across the US to, among other things, assist
first responders conducting search-and-rescue missions by relaying
information to government agencies, by relaying logistical and
operational information among FEMA EOCs in Georgia, Mississippi and
Louisiana, and by handling health-and-welfare messages between
volunteer agencies in Georgia and the American Red Cross national
headquarters.

"Additionally, the NCS coordinated the frequencies used by the
nearly 1000 Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) volunteers across
the nation who served in the Katrina stricken area providing
communications for government agencies, the Red Cross and The Salvation
Army," the report continued. "Emergency communications were conducted
not only by voice, but also by high-speed data transmissions using
state-of-the art digital communications software known as Winlink."

The report further noted, "In Mississippi, FEMA dispatched Amateur
Radio operators to hospitals, evacuation centers, and county EOCs to
send emergency messaging 24 hours per day. It further cited comments
from Bay St Louis Mayor Edward A. "Eddie" Favre that Amateur Radio
operators "were especially helpful in maintaining situational awareness
and relaying Red Cross messages to and from the Hancock County
(Mississippi) EOC."

According to the report, radio amateurs at airports in Texas and
Louisiana "tracked evacuees and notified families of their
whereabouts," while the Red Cross "deployed Amateur Radio volunteers at
its 250 shelters and feeding stations, principally in Mississippi,
Alabama and Florida."

The Salvation Army, the report pointed out, operates its own
system of Amateur Radio volunteers known as SATERN (Salvation Army Team
Emergency Radio Network). "During the Hurricane Katrina response and
recovery effort, SATERN joined forces with the SHARES program and
received over 48,000 requests for emergency communications assistance
utilizing federal frequencies made available via the SHARES program,"
the report noted.

"The extent of destruction and damage to the communications
infrastructure and services caused by Katrina exceeded that of any
other natural disaster experienced by the Gulf Coast states," the
report concluded. "Simply put, Katrina's devastation overwhelmed
government resources at all levels."

"A Failure of Initiative" asserted that the loss of power and the
failure at various levels of government "to adequately prepare for the
ensuing and inevitable loss of communications" hindered the hurricane
response "by compromising situational awareness and command and control
operations."

"Despite the devastation left by Katrina, this needn't have been
the case," the report stressed. "Catastrophic disasters may have some
unpredictable consequences, but losing power and the dependent
communications systems after a hurricane should not be one of them."

END QUOTE

Old February 20th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
an_old_friend

K4YZ wrote:
QUOTE FROM THE ARRL WEBSITE

Amateur Radio's Role Gets Favorable Mention in Post-Katrina Report

NEWINGTON, CT, Feb 17, 2006--The Amateur Radio Emergency Service
(ARES), the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) and the HF digital
e-mail system Winlink 2000 all got positive mentions in a post-Katrina
report from the US House of Representatives. US Rep Tom Davis (R-VA)
chaired the panel. References to ARES, MARS and Winlink appear in "A
Failure of Initiative"--the final report of the Select Bipartisan
Committee to investigate the preparation for and response to Hurricane
Katrina.

"Like all levels of government," the 364-page report notes, the
National Communication System (NCS), "was not able to address all
aspects of the damage to the communications infrastructure of the Gulf
States."

of course they did

but at least you tried posting on radio for a change

I wonder if you will premit any discusion of the subject

nothing viods the basic premise that TI and other have said for years

the over all Katrina reponse was in negitive numbers

the ARS response was beter by comparision a 2 or 3. and given the
colapse in many of real governemtn and society likely could never have
been beter than roughly a 5

But all the deetails show we could have done better, but no discusiion
of this is premitted

Nature placed the ARS where we basicaly had to look good relitively, we
were playing laong the keystone cops, hell Fox News did a better job of
helping Katrina victums than the offical response

Old February 21st 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
K4YZ

nobodys_old_friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
[...]

Slap yourself in the face for being two-faced again, Mork. I've
been trying to "read" the past two weeks going's-on here, and I'll be
darned if I see anything that's "radio" from you.

I wonder if you will premit any discusion of the subject

Since you made it adversarial in only two sentences, I think the
question belongs in YOUR lap, Mork, not mine.

nothing viods the basic premise that TI and other have said for years

What? TI? What's a viod?

the over all Katrina reponse was in negitive numbers

Not as far as Amateur Radio, MARS or SHARES goes it isn't, Mork.
That's what the peice I quoted was addressing...Nothing else.

the ARS response was beter by comparision a 2 or 3. and given the
colapse in many of real governemtn and society likely could never have
been beter than roughly a 5

But all the deetails show we could have done better...(SNIP)

There's always "better". Even God tried to wipe the slate clean
and try again. Why should mortals be any different?

(UNSNIP)...but no discusiion of this is premitted

Who said so?

Nature placed the ARS where we basicaly had to look good relitively, we
were playing laong the keystone cops, hell Fox News did a better job of
helping Katrina victums than the offical response

Somewhere in there was a "thought", but I wonder what it
was....Work on that English composition, Mork!

So far, there's not been one word of criticism for the response by
ARES, MARS, SHARES, etc other than "why can't we got more guys like
you".... Even CAP's deployment of ALE-enabled HF systems got gold
stars.

So other than refering to FEMA or the State of Louisiana agencies,
just WHO were YOU talking about? The day was certainly carried by
volunteers, that's for sure.

Steve, K4YZ

Old February 21st 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
kb9rqz@mark_morgan.com

Default let just call another steve attack thread where he gets what he wanted another fight

On 21 Feb 2006 01:10:48 -0800, "K4YZ" wrote:

nobodys_old_friend wrote:

more forgery
K4YZ wrote:
[...]

no

I've
been trying to "read" the past two weeks going's-on here, and I'll be
darned if I see anything that's "radio" from you.

then you just can't read
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...907e2b6cdf59e9

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...29d1f9007f493e

and a thread I started but you and your allies hijacked by you are
obessed by spelling issues
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...28255a747f6c3f

I wonder if you will premit any discusion of the subject

Since you made it adversarial in only two sentences, I think the
question belongs in YOUR lap, Mork, not mine

more of the lie and lie somemore
you were trolling I decide to bite

nothing viods the basic premise that TI and other have said for years

What? TI? What's a viod?

you don't know

then shove it or not as you like

the over all Katrina reponse was in negitive numbers

Not as far as Amateur Radio, MARS or SHARES goes it isn't, Mork.
That's what the peice I quoted was addressing...Nothing else.

then you just lied again

the ARS response was beter by comparision a 2 or 3. and given the
colapse in many of real governemtn and society likely could never have
been beter than roughly a 5

But all the deetails show we could have done better...(SNIP)

There's always "better". Even God tried to wipe the slate clean
and try again. Why should mortals be any different?

not according to You and Dan

since anything that sugests a problem is at once labeled anti ARS

(UNSNIP)...but no discusiion of this is premitted

Who said so?

you did

Nature placed the ARS where we basicaly had to look good relitively, we
were playing laong the keystone cops, hell Fox News did a better job of
helping Katrina victums than the offical response

Somewhere in there was a "thought", but I wonder what it
was....Work on that English composition, Mork!

why?

you are not interested in any idea that I compose

why should I strian for you

other did get the message correctly but you can't be bothered

and so you finish the job

So far, there's not been one word of criticism for the response by
ARES, MARS, SHARES, etc other than "why can't we got more guys like
you".... Even CAP's deployment of ALE-enabled HF systems got gold
stars.

more lies quoteing the seconds paragraph in its entierity
"Like all levels of government," the 364-page report notes,
the
National Communication System (NCS), "was not able to address all
aspects of the damage to the communications infrastructure of the Gulf
States."

to me that looks like critism but then I was issued Rose coloured
glasses

So other than refering to FEMA or the State of Louisiana agencies,
just WHO were YOU talking about? The day was certainly carried by
volunteers, that's for sure.

I am refering to what it which i don't don't spin out as kindly as you
choose to

Steve, K4YZ

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old February 22nd 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
K4YZ

wrote:
On 21 Feb 2006 01:10:48 -0800, "K4YZ" wrote:
nobodys_old_friend wrote:

more forgery

Where? You're nobodys "old friend" in THIS forum! Even YOU have
admitted that!

K4YZ wrote:
[...]

So you LIKE being two faced...OK.

I've
been trying to "read" the past two weeks going's-on here, and I'll be
darned if I see anything that's "radio" from you.

then you just can't read

Sure I can.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...907e2b6cdf59e9

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...29d1f9007f493e

and a thread I started but you and your allies hijacked by you are
obessed by spelling issues
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...28255a747f6c3f

We are "obsessed by spelling issues" because your fractured
English and functional illiteracy make it difficult to make a lot of
sense out of your drivvel. You THINK you're expressing yourself
effectively, but in most cases it's just humorous quacking.

I wonder if you will premit any discusion of the subject

Since you made it adversarial in only two sentences, I think the
question belongs in YOUR lap, Mork, not mine

more of the lie and lie somemore

Nope. All one needs do is scroll back in this thread alone and
see how you've acted, That you changed the subject line already is
proof as to who's "hijacking" what, Morkie.

you were trolling I decide to bite

Nope. I quoted a piece that demonstrates that Amateur Radio
IS the resource that I and others have stated it is.

YOU are the one who started in on the flamefest.

nothing viods the basic premise that TI and other have said for years

What? TI? What's a viod?

you don't know

How can I? You haven't sent me the "2006 Morkie-to-English
Dictionary" yet.

then shove it or not as you like

Now there's a mature response. Just what I expect from trailer
trash.

the over all Katrina reponse was in negitive numbers

Not as far as Amateur Radio, MARS or SHARES goes it isn't, Mork.
That's what the peice I quoted was addressing...Nothing else.

then you just lied again

Nope. None of what was in the opening post was any of my doings,
Morkie, other than to quote it.

And I quoted it verbatim including the source and author.

the ARS response was beter by comparision a 2 or 3. and given the
colapse in many of real governemtn and society likely could never have
been beter than roughly a 5

But all the deetails show we could have done better...(SNIP)

There's always "better". Even God tried to wipe the slate clean
and try again. Why should mortals be any different?

not according to You and Dan

There YOU go lying again, Morkie.

since anything that sugests a problem is at once labeled anti ARS

And there's another!

(UNSNIP)...but no discusiion of this is premitted

Who said so?

you did

THREE IN THREE SENTENCES! Morkie's piling them up, folks!

Nature placed the ARS where we basicaly had to look good relitively, we
were playing laong the keystone cops, hell Fox News did a better job of
helping Katrina victums than the offical response

Somewhere in there was a "thought", but I wonder what it
was....Work on that English composition, Mork!

why?

you are not interested in any idea that I compose

Sure I am. I just want you to compose it in ENGLISH so we can ALL
understand it!

That you demand that the rest of the world learn Morkiese is the
ultimate in arrogance and selfishness.

why should I strian for you

That depends...What's a "strian"...?!?!

other did get the message correctly but you can't be bothered

How do you know? So far, you're the only one in this thread.

and so you finish the job

Finish WHAT job...?!?! Making a fool out of you? Heck, Morkie,
THAT'S an on-going job! Just when I think you can't possibly make a
bigger fool out of yourself, you go and prove me wrong!

So far, there's not been one word of criticism for the response by
ARES, MARS, SHARES, etc other than "why can't we got more guys like
you".... Even CAP's deployment of ALE-enabled HF systems got gold
stars.

more lies quoteing the seconds paragraph in its entierity

"Like all levels of government," the 364-page report notes,
the
National Communication System (NCS), "was not able to address all
aspects of the damage to the communications infrastructure of the Gulf
States."

to me that looks like critism but then I was issued Rose coloured
glasses

They weren't talking about Amateur Radio there, Morkie! They were
talking about the communications INFRASTRUCTURE! They were talking
about cell towers, fiberoptic lines, Public Service repeaters, etc!

Idiot!

So other than refering to FEMA or the State of Louisiana agencies,
just WHO were YOU talking about? The day was certainly carried by
volunteers, that's for sure.

I am refering to what it which i don't don't spin out as kindly as you
choose to

Morkie, THAT "sentence" alone is a prime example of why EVERYONE,
myself especially, points fingers at you and laughs.

Ity doesn't make ONE BIT of sense!

And the bottom line truth is you're just too stupid to realize
what a complete and total idiot you make of yourself. Keep up the good
work. You make my "job" just that much easier!

Steve, K4YZ

Old February 22nd 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
kb9rqz@mark_morgan.com

Default just steve hijacking his own thread for attack

On 22 Feb 2006 03:37:45 -0800, "K4YZ" wrote:

wrote:
On 21 Feb 2006 01:10:48 -0800, "K4YZ" wrote:
nobodys_old_friend wrote:

more forgery

Where?

right there
you don't have the right to alter my wordswithout becoming a forger

K4YZ wrote:
[...]

not being 2 faced

I've
been trying to "read" the past two weeks going's-on here, and I'll be
darned if I see anything that's "radio" from you.

then you just can't read

Sure I can.

nope

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...907e2b6cdf59e9

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...29d1f9007f493e

and a thread I started but you and your allies hijacked by you are
obessed by spelling issues
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...28255a747f6c3f

We are "obsessed by spelling issues" because your fractured
English and functional illiteracy make it difficult to make a lot of
sense out of your drivvel. You THINK you're expressing yourself
effectively, but in most cases it's just humorous quacking.

wrong you are obessed by spelling issues becuase you are unwilling to
deal with issues

that is standard here on USENET

you might be honest and accept that but then you can't seem to be
honest

I wonder if you will premit any discusion of the subject

Since you made it adversarial in only two sentences, I think the
question belongs in YOUR lap, Mork, not mine

more of the lie and lie somemore

Nope. All one needs do is scroll back in this thread alone and
see how you've acted,

inedd
That you changed the subject line already is
proof as to who's "hijacking" what, Morkie.

nope you changed the subject to anti makr attacke thread

I tried to discuss the subject

but as predeicted you refuse to premite discussion if anyone dares
disagree

you were trolling I decide to bite

Nope. I quoted a piece that demonstrates that Amateur Radio
IS the resource that I and others have stated it is.

YOU are the one who started in on the flamefest.

BYS I supoose so

I disgreed withe Rosey post you made

nothing viods the basic premise that TI and other have said for years

What? TI? What's a viod?

you don't know

How can I? You haven't sent me the "2006 Morkie-to-English
Dictionary" yet.

How could, by using the brain you claim to have

then shove it or not as you like

Now there's a mature response.

more mature than you, which is not hard
Just what I expect from trailer
trash.

more name calling

the over all Katrina reponse was in negitive numbers

Not as far as Amateur Radio, MARS or SHARES goes it isn't, Mork.
That's what the peice I quoted was addressing...Nothing else.

then you just lied again

Nope. None of what was in the opening post was any of my doings,
Morkie, other than to quote it.

never said otherwise

However I as i quoted below the last reply that is not the sole
content of the piece

so you lied when you said it was

And I quoted it verbatim including the source and author.

doing did not alter the contents of post

the ARS response was beter by comparision a 2 or 3. and given the
colapse in many of real governemtn and society likely could never have
been beter than roughly a 5

But all the deetails show we could have done better...(SNIP)

There's always "better". Even God tried to wipe the slate clean
and try again. Why should mortals be any different?

not according to You and Dan

There YOU go lying again, Morkie.

not at all

absolute truth

you dan esp do not premit any dicusiion of o topic concerning Ham
radio if anything critical of is posted

that sadly is a simple fact

since anything that sugests a problem is at once labeled anti ARS

And there's another!

another what?

effort at discussion sure is

(UNSNIP)...but no discusiion of this is premitted

Who said so?

you did

THREE IN THREE SENTENCES! Morkie's piling them up, folks!

not a lie in the bunch

Nature placed the ARS where we basicaly had to look good relitively, we
were playing laong the keystone cops, hell Fox News did a better job of
helping Katrina victums than the offical response

Somewhere in there was a "thought", but I wonder what it
was....Work on that English composition, Mork!

why?

you are not interested in any idea that I compose

Sure I am.

no you are not you have made that plain
I just want you to compose it in ENGLISH so we can ALL
understand it!

You child someone a child molestor to get them to imporve ytheir
spleing

your attitude proves you gaol is nothing less than silencing all
disgrement

That you demand that the rest of the world learn Morkiese is the
ultimate in arrogance and selfishness.

another lie

I make no such demand

read my post or not as you choose

the ulitmate in arogance and selfishness is your insistance that you
can call someone a molestor and still deny that you are being bulling
and abusive

why should I strian for you

That depends...What's a "strian"...?!?!

anaswer the question otr be forever an liar and a Coward

other did get the message correctly but you can't be bothered

How do you know? So far, you're the only one in this thread.

My coment was not limtied to this thread

[...]

ARES is part of the NCS, at least it says so in the stuff I reecently
received from ARES trying recruit me into thier ranks

the quote was the NCS(including ARES) could not function at first due
the lack infrastruture

personaly I disagree with the assement but it was certainly ade
(personaly I think the failure of the NCS{including ARES} to function
was more due to being unable to find officiails to talk comunicate
with, but that is another matter)

Idiot!

of course anyone that disagrees you call an idoit