RadioBanter

-   Radio Photos (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/)
-   -   Opposite hand Dial radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/129346-opposite-hand-dial-radio.html)

amyotte January 11th 08 11:42 PM

Opposite hand Dial radio

1 Attachment(s)
Recently refinished/restored a Stromberg Carlson and noticed the dial is
mirrored to my other radios.

Any other mirrored dial radios - i.e.. 550 on the right side?

Brian

John Wilkie January 12th 08 12:42 PM

Opposite hand Dial radio

I have 3 or 4 with the 550 on the right side. Off hand I can't remember the
makes without digging through my collection. An old radio man once told me
radios were built this way for left handed people. He never cracked a smile
when saying this so I do not know if he was telling the truth or not.

.. .

Neil S January 12th 08 04:38 PM

Opposite hand Dial radio

Well, any radio calibrated in 'Metres' as many of the first radios with
actual calibration were [as opposed to just a 0-100 'logging' scale], then
550Kc would appear on the right if the Metre scale was ascending from the
left.
Looking at my display sets I have a Rogers and Sparton of mid to late '30
that are both that way, while most of the sets are 'conventional'.

Neil S.

.. .

Xmttrman January 16th 08 04:38 AM

Opposite hand Dial radio

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:42:54 -0500, "amyotte" wrote:

Recently refinished/restored a Stromberg Carlson and noticed the dial is
mirrored to my other radios.

Any other mirrored dial radios - i.e.. 550 on the right side?

Brian

I have seen 40s-50s Emersons with "mirrored" dials.