RadioBanter

-   Radio Photos (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/)
-   -   Just another night in my workshop (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/135957-just-another-night-my-workshop.html)

Phil Nelson August 22nd 08 05:01 AM

Just another night in my workshop

3 Attachment(s)
Rats -- I let some of the smoke out!

Phil Nelson

Phil Nelson August 22nd 08 05:33 AM

Just another night in my workshop

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe I should have watched this meter :-(

William Sommerwerck[_2_] August 22nd 08 12:58 PM

Just another night in my workshop

"Fiend Without a Face" -- one of the classics. Where did you get such
beautiful images? The Criterion disk?

For those who haven't seen this film -- it's one of the great sci-fi /
horror flicks.

Phil Nelson August 22nd 08 04:37 PM

Just another night in my workshop

That's it. I just made screen captures from Media Player.

The Criterion disk?

Buck Frobisher August 27th 08 02:29 AM

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
That's it. I just made screen captures from Media Player.

The Criterion disk?

Fabulous screen capture. I just use Ctrl-PrtSc myself, then edit with Corel
PhotoPaint.

How did you do that?

Phil Nelson August 27th 08 07:25 PM

Just another night in my workshop

Fabulous screen capture. I just use Ctrl-PrtSc myself, then
edit with Corel PhotoPaint. How did you do that?

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI. Play the movie in Windows Media Player
and pause it where you like. The on-screen movie controls will disappear a
couple of seconds after you move the mouse away from that window.

In Paint Shop, go to File/Import/Screen Capture/Setup. Set the Capture mode
for Client Area. Set the Delay timer for 10 seconds. Click Capture Now.

Paint Shop will minimize, giving you 10 seconds to get your mouse out of the
way of Media Player and capture the movie still.

No editing required. You get the entire movie image, without window borders,
etc. Takes about 12 seconds :-)

Phil Nelson

Buck Frobisher August 28th 08 04:45 AM

Just another night in my workshop

Fabulous screen capture. I just use Ctrl-PrtSc myself, then
edit with Corel PhotoPaint. How did you do that?

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI. Play the movie in Windows Media
Player and pause it where you like. The on-screen movie controls will
disappear a couple of seconds after you move the mouse away from that
window.

In Paint Shop, go to File/Import/Screen Capture/Setup. Set the Capture
mode for Client Area. Set the Delay timer for 10 seconds. Click Capture
Now.

Paint Shop will minimize, giving you 10 seconds to get your mouse out of
the way of Media Player and capture the movie still.

No editing required. You get the entire movie image, without window
borders, etc. Takes about 12 seconds :-)

Phil Nelson

Thanks for the details, Phil. I have PhotoPaint 6 here, and it is
celebrating it's 10th birthday this year, I think. So, it's doesn't have
any notion of video editing in it.

However, your method made me wonder why I can't get rid of the movie
controls in WMP when in full-screen mode. I tinkered around long enough and
found out how to do it. So here's my new means of getting a still shot:

Watch (and find) the section where the still will come from while in
"less-then-full-screen" mode, and pause on the spot you want.

Hit Ctrl-PrtSc, then Esc to exit full-screen, and in PhotoPaint, I go to
File|New from Clipboard and vy-ola! Perfect picture. It's too big though
really, so I adjust as I always do.

8.5 seconds including the save. :)

Buck Frobisher August 28th 08 02:14 PM

Just another night in my workshop

Rats. I missed putting in an important step. See below:

[...]

EDIT: Hit Alt-Enter to put Windows Media Player into full-screen mode.

Phil Nelson August 29th 08 05:38 PM

Just another night in my workshop

I don't know what your screen resolution is, but I didn't see any need to
put Media Player into full-screen mode. Letting it run in a smaller window
(the size chosen by Media Player when it started), I got nice resolution for
the movie still. In that mode, the on-screen controls disappear about a
second after you move the mouse away from the window.

I guess you could try both methods and see whether the final result looks
any different.

Phil

EDIT: Hit Alt-Enter to put Windows Media Player into full-screen mode.

Phil Nelson August 29th 08 05:47 PM

Just another night in my workshop

So, it's doesn't have
any notion of video editing in it.

P.S. I didn't use any video editing functions -- simply the ability to make
a screen capture of any other application running at the time.

Phil Nelson