RadioBanter

-   -   Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio? (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/104062-code-requirement-really-keeping-good-people-out-ham-radio.html)

Not Lloyd October 27th 06 01:25 AM

Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio?

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

. ..
From: "Dee Flint" on Sun, Oct 22 2006 8:47am
Yes ham radio is supposed to be camaraderie. People are supposed to
help
each other.

Then why don't they?

Because a lot of pro-coders would rather belittle
no-coders than help them?

More likely a knee jerk reaction to the very few but very vocal ones who try
to come in and act like they know all there is to know about radio when the
"ink isn't even dry on their license". It's unfortunate that the
experienced hams don't have the discipline to withstand this nonsense
without such knee-jerk reactions.

When a new licensee (the level of license is irrelevant) tells me that you
can't work DX without an amplifier, I just tell him about the countries I
worked with my 100 watt radio and relatively low mount G5RV. But some hams
turn bitter instead when a newbie insists that he is right and they are
wrong.

Dee, N8UZE

Such as Mark does?

Not Lloyd October 27th 06 02:15 AM

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:25:41 -0500, "Not Lloyd" anon@anon wrote:

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message

Such as Mark does?

I never said anything such Although It is in fact imposible to work
some of the DX I want to work with a 100 watt and G5RV

That is correct. That is because you are a tech and cannot work HF at all!

Like Dee, I've worked stations worldwide with "just" 100 watts and a G5RV
and you could too, if you'd but learn a paltry 5wpm code speed.

Bill October 30th 06 07:57 PM

Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio?

It's not code requirements or tests that is keeping ( and driving) good
people out of ham radio, and away from lists like these, it's
psychopaths like SC and the idiots that feed him. This WAS about real
issues, and about technology (I hit this cesspool from the antennas
list), but it is not now.
Thanks to the crap fron SC, and from the idiots that feed this Troll,
I'm leaving. On real lists, s--t pots like him are kicked out. On
usenets, the only way is to quit feeding his ego, but, unfortunately,
he is not the only idiot here.
Bye-Bill

Slow Code October 31st 06 12:32 AM

Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio?

" wrote in
oups.com:

Barry OGrady wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:54:46 -0500, Nada Tapu wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:23:03 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Or just lazy people out?

Sc

It certainly didn't keep me out, and I wasn't all that crazy about
learning it, either.

More to the point, are there more licensed amateurs since the code
requirement was removed years ago?

Yes. In the USA at least.

Since the inception of the no-code Technician class here in 1991,
the growth of the Technician class license numbers in the USA
has been continuous. Those now comprise about 49 % of ALL
licensees. The Technician class license numbers are twice that
of General class, the next-largest license class.

Since the "reconstruction" in FCC amateur radio regulations of
2001, the number of licensees grew to peak in July, 2003. At
that time the maximum code test rate was fixed at 5 WPM, all
classes.

A problem now is the attrition of the older licensees. More old-
timers are leaving/expiring (their licenses) than are being
replaced by new (never before licensed in amateur radio)
licensees. Source: www.hamdata.com. That trend has
persisted for three years.

The code test is not THE factor causing it, just one of the
major factors in slowing the increase of new licensees.
Coupled with the stubborn resistance to change of ANY
regulations by olde-tymers, there is little incentive to enter
olde-tyme amateur radio. Ally that with the huge growth of
the Internet in the 15 years it has been public - an Internet
that has spread worldwide with near-instant communications
over that world - and the traditional standards and practices
of olde-tyme ham radio just don't have the appeal to
newcomers they once had.

Elimination of the code test for any license will cause a
spurt in new licensees. While such elimination is not a
guarantee to far-future growth, it will be the significant act
to being CHANGING regulations to better fit the modern times.
Keeping up with changing times is a NECESSITY in
regulations, regardless of the personal desires of the minority
of amateurs making up the olde-tyme group.

You should market your posts to farmers Len. The fertilizer content in
them could green the Sahara.

SC