Old November 13th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,alt.revisionism,rec.radio.cb,alt.usenet.kooks,rec.radio.scanner

Default American Red Cross Tells ARRL It Wont Stop Credit Checks On Ham and CB Volunteers

wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:49:03 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

policy-ham wrote:
NEWINGTON, CT, Nov 10, 2006 -- The American Red Cross (ARC) has
attempted to clarify its policy to require background checks of its
employees and volunteers, at least as far as the policy applies to
possible credit checks.

snip

The ARC's new policy "is a positive action," Howe told ARRL, and aimed
at raising public confidence and trust in the organization's volunteers
and workers. "The Red Cross certainly values its employees and
volunteers, and our background check process is not intended to be a
burden to those who play a vital role in our relief efforts," she said.
"We believe that in order to maintain the trust of the American people
and provide them with the best quality service, all Red Cross employees
and volunteers must undergo background checks according to standards
being implemented across the entire organization."

The American Red Cross has no business whatever doing a credit check on
me or any other radio amateur who volunteers to assist it.

indeed the red Croos may be saying that no longer wish the support of
the ARS it's chapters have done so in many areas already

This is another attempt by an organization to assume power to which it
has no right.

yes indeed the ARC is jioning the ARRL and others gruops that have
been trying to seize power for themselves

If an emergency occurs where the services of volunteer radio amateurs
are needed, the ARC may find itself in a tight spot with regard to
volunteer communicators.

might well most likely WILL find themselves

I hope that the ARRL decides to do a background and credit check on any
organization (and its officers) who desire ARES assistance.

Count me out on any participation in ARES activity which involves the
American Red Cross.

Dave K8MN

http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

yep........'ole davey boy and my little marqueer would hate to be
"looked into"!