RadioBanter

-   -   Looking for Police scanner (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/128169-looking-police-scanner.html)

asylum December 12th 07 02:21 PM

Looking for Police scanner

My father in-law is looking for a police scanner.
I know things are changing with the Digital scanner being the up and
coming thing.
What unit would you guys recommend so he can listen to local police/fire?
The digital scanners seem pretty pricey. Looking for a portable unit mainly.
Thanks greatly!

Alex Clayton December 12th 07 07:25 PM

Looking for Police scanner

"asylum" wrote in message
My father in-law is looking for a police scanner.
I know things are changing with the Digital scanner being the up and
coming thing.
What unit would you guys recommend so he can listen to local police/fire?
The digital scanners seem pretty pricey. Looking for a portable unit
mainly.
Thanks greatly!

You need to tell people where you are, what you want to hear. Radio
Reference page may be able to help. It will depend on what kind of radio
system the agencies you want to hear have. Most Police that go digital only
do so to have encrypted. If your Police have done that you can't hear them.
If it's a Trunked 800 or standard analog the BC246T is a great little
scanner. Fits in a shirt pocket.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

asylum December 12th 07 07:48 PM

Looking for Police scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
"asylum" wrote in message
My father in-law is looking for a police scanner.
I know things are changing with the Digital scanner being the up and
coming thing.
What unit would you guys recommend so he can listen to local police/fire?
The digital scanners seem pretty pricey. Looking for a portable unit
mainly.
Thanks greatly!

You need to tell people where you are, what you want to hear. Radio
Reference page may be able to help. It will depend on what kind of radio
system the agencies you want to hear have. Most Police that go digital only
do so to have encrypted. If your Police have done that you can't hear them.
If it's a Trunked 800 or standard analog the BC246T is a great little
scanner. Fits in a shirt pocket.

Thanks for the info.
I'm in Minnesota ( twin cities)
The Local police are going digital in middle of 08.

Alex Clayton December 12th 07 10:42 PM

Looking for Police scanner

"asylum" wrote in message
Alex Clayton wrote:
"asylum" wrote in message
[...]

Then you are most likely going to be out of luck. If they go digital they
will most likely encrypt. If by chance they don't Uniden makes a nice pocket
size Digital, but they are expensive. Over twice as much.
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

Alex Clayton December 13th 07 10:09 AM

Looking for Police scanner

"The Kat" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:42:05 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
wrote:

Then you are most likely going to be out of luck. If they go digital they
will most likely encrypt.

Bull****! Most digital systems are NOT encrypted!

Try having someone who finished school read the thread to you. No one here
said anything about "digital systems". We were discussing listening to the
Police, City Police. Most City Police departments that go to the expense of
an of a P-25 system do so to encrypt. There is a LOT of other stuff that is
P-25 that is not, but that is not what anyone here was asking about. Have
someone explain it to you.
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
(not necessarily in that order)

Bearcat210xlt December 16th 07 02:59 PM

Looking for Police scanner

wrote:

Then you are most likely going to be out of luck. If they go digital they
will most likely encrypt.

Bull****! Most digital systems are NOT encrypted!

Try having someone who finished school read the thread to you. No one here
said anything about "digital systems". We were discussing listening to the
Police, City Police. Most City Police departments that go to the expense of
an of a P-25 system do so to encrypt. There is a LOT of other stuff that is
P-25 that is not, but that is not what anyone here was asking about. Have
someone explain it to you.
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
(not necessarily in that order)

Analog Gov't/Police/Fire broadcasts are usually in the Mid VHF band
(136-174 MHz, excluding 162). I think you can listen to air-traffic
control in the Low VHF band (118-136 Mhz). I live a few dozen
kilometers from an airport, in which I can listen to the communication
on 132.7 and 123.9 MHz. Correct me on all this if I am wrong. (I am a
novice :-) )

-Trent

Lumpy February 9th 08 06:02 AM

Looking for Police scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Name a few.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

Alex Clayton February 9th 08 02:24 PM

Looking for Police scanner

"Lumpy" wrote in message
Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Name a few.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

Look at the Radio Reference page. It is often way behind, but it will give
you a good idea of what they are doing.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Lumpy February 9th 08 04:46 PM

Looking for Police scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Lumpy:
Name a few.

Alex Clayton:
Look at the Radio Reference page.
It is often way behind, but it will
give you a good idea of what they are doing.

Name a few.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyGuitar.net

Anthony February 9th 08 10:33 PM

Looking for Police scanner

Lumpy wrote:
Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Lumpy:
Name a few.

Alex Clayton:
Look at the Radio Reference page.
It is often way behind, but it will
give you a good idea of what they are doing.

Name a few.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyGuitar.net

This lumpy sure spits on a lot of newsgroups.

Alex Clayton February 9th 08 11:41 PM

Looking for Police scanner

"Lumpy" wrote in message

Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Lumpy:
Name a few.

Alex Clayton:
Look at the Radio Reference page.
It is often way behind, but it will
give you a good idea of what they are doing.

Name a few.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyGuitar.net

Are you actually looking to listen to some city?

Which one?

The page may have the current info for them. If not, you can often find
people who are there who can help you out with current info. When my city
went to a combination 800 trunked, and Apco25 the page did give me some help
in setting up my first scanner, but they have long fallen behind. Do you
understand the difference between the P25 and the Analog trunked systems,
and why the P25 came about?

Are you trying to say any of the large cities that are going to the expense
to set up a P25 are leaving it open for the people to listen to?

Which ones?

I know when the P25 first started to catch on they were open, but from what
I keep hearing from people who live where they switch now, for the last
couple years, they don't leave them open. There is from what I keep hearing,
a lot of stuff on the P25 that is still open, but not the City Police that
are switching.

Lumpy February 10th 08 08:28 AM

Looking for Police scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
Are you actually looking to listen to some city?

No. I'm looing for you to support your claim that
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Are you trying to say any of the large cities that are going to the
expense to set up a P25 are leaving it open for the people to listen
to?
Which ones?

Which ones indeed. Support your claim.
Give us a list of some of those deparments
that have gone to a P25 so that they could encrypt.

Lumpy February 10th 08 08:29 AM

Looking for Police scanner

Anthony wrote:

This lumpy sure spits on a lot of newsgroups.

Honesty is painful for the weak.
Killfile me and the world will be a safe place.

Alex Clayton February 10th 08 09:07 AM

Looking for Police scanner

"Lumpy" wrote in message
Alex Clayton wrote:
Are you actually looking to listen to some city?

No. I'm looing for you to support your claim that
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Are you trying to say any of the large cities that are going to the
expense to set up a P25 are leaving it open for the people to listen
to?
Which ones?

Which ones indeed. Support your claim.
Give us a list of some of those deparments
that have gone to a P25 so that they could encrypt.

G, Ok, sorry. I take it you have taken up selling digital scanners. Ok, to
anyone who is living where the State, county, or City police are getting
ready to go to the P25, buy a Digital scanner from Lumpy and you can still
hear them.

Better?

Now for the rest, if you live where they already have a P25 system, and want
to listen, a couple good ideas. First, if you do not actually know anyone
who has one and can tell you its open, go to a Radio Shack or two. If they
have one of their 96's set up ask to try it and see if you are hearing the
system you wish to listen in on. If you can't confirm it, and want to chance
it, buy one, and make sure you keep all the packaging. If you decide what
you can hear is not worth it, they do still seem to sell well on Ebay, and
you can get back a good portion of the money.

Another good idea is join the Radio Reference page. Send them a few bucks
and you can access the whole site. I have seen a lot of the info is way
behind, but many cities have a forum with constant messages, so you may find
someone who can confirm, BEFORE you spend the money. The Digital scanners
run over twice what a good trunking one does, or at least they still did
last I checked. When they got the P25 here I almost bought one of the Uniden
ones, but fortunately I held off till I could confirm that it would have
done me no good. When I was trying to find out for sure I was seeing a lot
of posts from other places and all of them were saying the same thing, that
once the department spent the cash to go to a P25, it was encrypted, which
made sense, other wise why bother. Now I'm sure all these people were lying,
but before you spend $500.00 and up, on a digital scanner, you may want to
check and make sure you can hear what you think you will be able to.
--
Press 1 for English.
Press 2 to deport every illegal who needs you to speak to them in some

John Walker February 20th 08 03:37 AM

Looking for Police scanner

Texas DPS...I listen to them daily..

The signal is real loud and clear.

John

Alex Clayton February 20th 08 04:35 PM

Looking for Police scanner

"John Walker" wrote in message
Texas DPS...I listen to them daily..

The signal is real loud and clear.

John

???

TX DPS is Digital and encrypted, and you listen to it daily huh? Ok. Are the
voices telling you anything?
--
Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the
corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.