RadioBanter

-   -   req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/130729-req-antenna-recommedations-up-3ghz.html)

tg February 24th 08 11:54 AM

req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz

I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking
round for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform up to
3GHz. I would rather spend extra for a professional level antenna than
go for a cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good but I'd appreciate
any tips before I start shelling out money. I'm currently scanning
with a D130 discone which works well but it only goes up to 1300MHz.
Thanks for any advice.

Rog February 24th 08 01:55 PM

"tg" wrote in message
I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking round
for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform up to 3GHz. I
would rather spend extra for a professional level antenna than go for a
cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good but I'd appreciate any tips
before I start shelling out money. I'm currently scanning with a D130
discone which works well but it only goes up to 1300MHz. Thanks for any
advice.

You will be lucky if you pick up ANYTHING worth listening to above 400Mhz

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

tg February 24th 08 07:30 PM

"Rog" wrote in message

"tg" wrote in message
I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking
round for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform up
to 3GHz. I would rather spend extra for a professional level
antenna than go for a cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good but
I'd appreciate any tips before I start shelling out money. I'm
currently scanning with a D130 discone which works well but it only
goes up to 1300MHz. Thanks for any advice.

You will be lucky if you pick up ANYTHING worth listening to above
400Mhz

hey thanks for your really positive and constructive comments Rog. I
didn't ask for advice about what's available in the upper spectrum, I
know what the score is there so let me worry about that. With an
attitude like yours maybe you should just stick to your transistor
radio.

Steve Terry February 24th 08 08:01 PM

req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz

"Rog" wrote in message
"tg" wrote in message

snip
You will be lucky if you pick up ANYTHING worth listening to above 400Mhz

There's lots above 400MHz worth listening to, 400 to 470 MHz
you have shopwatch, pubwatch, traffic wardens, rail station staff,
tube station staff, hospital staff, airport ground services, TV studio talk
back,
and all sorts of users on 446MHz PMR, etc.

1297MHz you have Amateur radio NBFM beacon/voice repeaters

Steve Terry

Walter - kg4bvd - SAR Comms Dispatcher February 25th 08 08:14 AM

req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz

What would you listen to there anyway? Just some digital beeps and
gibberish? There is nothing such as clear voice there! You are wasting
money!

Mr Mo February 25th 08 11:14 AM

req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz

On Feb 25, 8:14*am, Walter - kg4bvd - SAR Comms Dispatcher
wrote:
What would you listen to there anyway? Just some digital beeps and
gibberish? There is nothing such as clear voice there! You are wasting
money!

http://www.uhf-satcom.com/cband/

3605.425 1544.575 Analogue phone channel (1535.425 return)

Rog February 25th 08 03:18 PM

"tg" wrote in message

"Rog" wrote in message

"tg" wrote in message
I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking round
for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform up to 3GHz. I
would rather spend extra for a professional level antenna than go for a
cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good but I'd appreciate any tips
before I start shelling out money. I'm currently scanning with a D130
discone which works well but it only goes up to 1300MHz. Thanks for any
advice.

You will be lucky if you pick up ANYTHING worth listening to above 400Mhz

hey thanks for your really positive and constructive comments Rog. I
didn't ask for advice about what's available in the upper spectrum, I know
what the score is there so let me worry about that. With an attitude like
yours maybe you should just stick to your transistor radio.

you would hear a HELL of a lot more on a transistor radio that you would up
in the 3GHz your waffling on about,

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Timfy February 25th 08 07:57 PM

Rog wrote:
"tg" wrote in message
"Rog" wrote in message
"tg" wrote in message
[...]

I am in agreement with most of the posters who advise that there is very
little voice traffic at these frequencies, however if you want to play
around tracking the various signals etc that are kicking around up there
(and why not, this hobby is different for everyone!) theres a lot of fun
to be had up at these frequencies using a homemade parabolic antenna on
a fishing pole. Search google for homebrew, parabolic and, of all
things, wok! Most of the pages that you'll turn up concern wifi however
the antennas that are shown can be easily modified. Also search on the
pringle can antenna.

Good luck and, despite the whingers, have fun with your hobby.

Timfy

Brian Kals February 25th 08 09:50 PM

"tg" skrev i en meddelelse
I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking round
for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform up to 3GHz. I
would rather spend extra for a professional level antenna than go for a
cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good but I'd appreciate any tips
before I start shelling out money. I'm currently scanning with a D130
discone which works well but it only goes up to 1300MHz. Thanks for any
advice.

Hi TG.

Well it depends very much on what you want to hear.
Is it ground or space trafic?

A broadband antenna or discone, is not a very good antenna, compaired to a
dedicated antenna for a smaller frequency area. If your planing to catch
some satellites, a broadband/discone is not the way to go, the gain
efficiency is simply too low.

Regards
Brian

Greg[_5_] February 26th 08 11:49 AM

req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz

I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking round for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform
up to 3GHz. I would rather spend extra for a professional level antenna than go for a cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good
but I'd appreciate any tips before I start shelling out money. I'm currently scanning with a D130 discone which works well but it
only goes up to 1300MHz. Thanks for any advice.

You will be lucky if you pick up ANYTHING worth listening to above 400Mhz

There's alot around 400-500 as steve terry said in his reply,
and around 800-1000 there's alot of analogue repeaters,
shortrange stereo wireless/headphone, and cordless phones.