RadioBanter

-   -   new to this - questions (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/138615-new-questions.html)

OhioGuy November 16th 08 10:54 PM

new to this - questions

I just saw a Realistic Pro-55 scanner at a thrift store, and was
reminded that I always wanted to get something like that. I was afraid
it was totally outmoded at this point though - looked like you had to
buy crystals and set up each one of the buttons for a specific
frequency. It got the weather radio, but that was it, so it must have
had only 1 crystal in there. Not sure if it was worth buying even at
$4, if you can still get crystals, or if everything is encrypted these
days. (and how do you find out what frequency local things are broadcast
on???)

Can anyone tell me - are there better ways to start out at $100 or less?

JB[_3_] November 17th 08 03:13 AM

new to this - questions

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
I just saw a Realistic Pro-55 scanner at a thrift store, and was
reminded that I always wanted to get something like that. I was afraid
it was totally outmoded at this point though - looked like you had to
buy crystals and set up each one of the buttons for a specific
frequency. It got the weather radio, but that was it, so it must have
had only 1 crystal in there. Not sure if it was worth buying even at
$4, if you can still get crystals, or if everything is encrypted these
days. (and how do you find out what frequency local things are broadcast
on???)

Can anyone tell me - are there better ways to start out at $100 or

less?

The good part about such things, You can have a dedicated radio monitoring a
vital frequency 24/7 rather than being just about everywhere else.

Burr[_2_] November 17th 08 03:21 AM

new to this - questions

For $4 buy it, enjoy.

--
Burr
Orchids & Roses

John Szalay November 17th 08 05:24 PM

new to this - questions

OhioGuy wrote in :

I just saw a Realistic Pro-55 scanner at a thrift store, and was
Not sure if it was worth buying even at
$4, if you can still get crystals, or if everything is encrypted these
days. (and how do you find out what frequency local things are
broadcast on???)

Can anyone tell me - are there better ways to start out at $100 or
less?

Radio shack does NOT carry them in store, however they can be ordered
through them.. International crystal is their supplier..
(IF you are lucky enough to get a GOOD and knowledgeable sale tech..)
Most know nothing about crystals or how to order them anymore)

or go direct to International

http://www.icmfg.com/

and
One source of freq information..

http://www.radioreference.com/

IMHO:
Personaly unless you are a collector, a scanner that old, is
probably useless, due to corrosion and oxidation of the switch surfaces.