Old July 18th 03, 03:22 AM
Charlie

Default FRS radio question

I am intrested in getting the Motorola talkabout FRS radio model
t5920. I have searched best buy and they sell this particular radio in
a pack of 2. I am trying to find this radio as a single. The reason
for this is because the people that I am going to be communicating
with already have this radio, and because there is an odd number of
us, there would be one extra radio. I have even searched on ebay but
haven't had any luck. Where can I find this radio as a single?
Old July 18th 03, 01:13 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

Just a quick note:

In case you didn't know it, these are GMRS radios, not FRS. These units
will require that you or someone if your family apply, and pay, for a
license to operate them. Cost is $75 per 5-years...

In any case, the chances of finding a single unit a slim to none. Just buy
another brand of radio that is of the GMRS 5-mile style...

PH

om...

Old July 19th 03, 06:30 AM
Charlie

Would a license still be required if used for personal use? What is
the purpose of the license? I found one single at best buy, but it was
a 5-mile gmrs type radio.

"PowerHouse CB & Scanner" wrote in message ...
Just a quick note:

In case you didn't know it, these are GMRS radios, not FRS. These units
will require that you or someone if your family apply, and pay, for a
license to operate them. Cost is $75 per 5-years...

In any case, the chances of finding a single unit a slim to none. Just buy
another brand of radio that is of the GMRS 5-mile style...

PH

om...

Old July 19th 03, 11:08 AM
Frank

Wrong newsgroup for this.

Charlie .. .

^ Would a license still be required if used for personal
^ use? What is the purpose of the license?

There is no license for FRS. A license is required for GMRS. FRS is limited
to a half watt and GMRS can go up to 50 watts. FRS and GMRS have about eight
frequencies in common but then they also have about eight more each that the
other does not share. GMRS also has a set of frequencies that can be used
with repeaters, similar to the 2 meter ham band. FRS is almost unlimited in
how it can be used (because of the low power) but GMRS is fairly strict.

The purpose of the license is to help ensure responsible usage of a radio
system that can be used over a wide area.

^ I found one single at best buy, but it was a 5-mile
^ gmrs type radio.

You can use that without a license if you restrict yourself to the FRS only
channels. The documentation included with the radio will explain.

Frank

Old July 20th 03, 01:10 AM
Spamhater

Charlie, considering all the other messages I seen along with yours were
nothing but "POLITICAL" - I would ignore that comment. YOUR post was not
exactly scanner related - but it was more in the ball park than the other
posts. These net cops kill me..... They feel everyone should be "perfect"
even beginners just feeling their way around the internet. DON'T lose any
sleep over it, it isn't worth it.

L.

om...

Old July 21st 03, 05:06 AM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c34ddd$b302eb50$0125250a@bbuhfoevzywwybsb.. .

You can use that without a license if you restrict yourself to the FRS

only
channels. The documentation included with the radio will explain.

Unfortunately, you are wrong and giving out incorrect advice. A GMRS radio,
even the cheapy ones in the blister packs, will put out more power than
legally allowed, even on the "common" frequencies shared by both. Because
of this, you need the license, even to transmit of the "FRS channels".

PH