RadioBanter

-   -   BC-895 Reverse Polarity Mistake, Help! (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34057-re-bc-895-reverse-polarity-mistake-help.html)

Luddite July 28th 03 11:09 PM

BC-895 Reverse Polarity Mistake, Help!

fendelhessi wrote:
Hello All,

Well, stupid me, I did it. I accidentially reversed the positive and
negative leads from an external DC 12 volt supply to my BC-895. After
correcting this mistake, the radio will not turn on. Is there an
internal fuse or reverse polarity protection componet in the radio?
If so, where? Any help will be appreciated.

the dummy diode is the first thing connected to the + lead on the board
replacement should bring it around,while its open you could try the
squelch tail mod. you have to be good with a soldering iron for this
one,its eay to mess up but worth the effort.

http://pages.ripco.net/~a2k/squelch_mod.gif

Thanks,

Jim in Austin....

Frank346 July 29th 03 12:25 AM

It removes the squelch tail - makes the radio much more pleasant to listen
to. Ripco indeed, seems appropriately named. Get the info from the source at
http://home.hvc.rr.com/bpetrow/

"soundisgood" wrote in message
What does the mod do?

fendelhessi July 29th 03 02:55 AM

Luddite wrote in message ...
fendelhessi wrote:
Hello All,

Well, stupid me, I did it. I accidentially reversed the positive and
negative leads from an external DC 12 volt supply to my BC-895. After
correcting this mistake, the radio will not turn on. Is there an
internal fuse or reverse polarity protection componet in the radio?
If so, where? Any help will be appreciated.

the dummy diode is the first thing connected to the + lead on the board
replacement should bring it around,while its open you could try the
squelch tail mod. you have to be good with a soldering iron for this
one,its eay to mess up but worth the effort.

http://pages.ripco.net/~a2k/squelch_mod.gif

After looking closely at the input diode, I discovered a very thin,
burnt trace on the circuit board. It ran from the negative side of
the 12 volt input connector to ground. Seems this thin trace was
designed to act as a fuse just for reverse polarity situations like
mine. Well, it worked. Replacing this thin trace with a piece of
thin magnet wire solved the problem. The scanner powers on OK now and
works fine. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Jim in Austin.....