RadioBanter

-   -   11.175 MHz: What Is It ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34201-11-175-mhz-what.html)

Robert11 August 17th 03 03:52 PM

11.175 MHz: What Is It ?

Hi,

What is on 11.175 MHz USB ? (is USB correct for this freq. ?)
Mil of some sort ?

Keep getting bursts of "noise" periodically every 5 seconds or so.
Very occasionally, a voice which I can't make out.

Live 25 mi due W of Boston.
Should I be picking anything up here ?

Thanks,
Bob

Jim Vecchiola August 17th 03 04:54 PM

You're probably listening to military aviation air-ground comms (USAF
nets) - actually on 11.176. USB is correct, and they're generally
copiable worldwide from places like Offutt AFB Nebraska, Macdill AFB
Florida, etc.

Jim KR2T

GeorgeF August 17th 03 05:45 PM

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

What is on 11.175 MHz USB ? (is USB correct for this freq. ?)
Mil of some sort ?

Keep getting bursts of "noise" periodically every 5 seconds or so.
Very occasionally, a voice which I can't make out.

Live 25 mi due W of Boston.
Should I be picking anything up here ?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
Go here and you'll learn a bit about what you're hearing on that freq as
well as other freqs used by the same system:
http://www.milaircomms.com/ghfs.html

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

N8KDV August 17th 03 07:45 PM

Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

What is on 11.175 MHz USB ? (is USB correct for this freq. ?)
Mil of some sort ?

Keep getting bursts of "noise" periodically every 5 seconds or so.
Very occasionally, a voice which I can't make out.

Live 25 mi due W of Boston.
Should I be picking anything up here ?

Thanks,
Bob

There is a good description of the HF-GCS system on this page along with
current frequencies, you'll have to scroll down for it.

http://www.wunclub.com/newsletter/v09/n07/mla.html

Also there are many other frequencies. While you are there, check out
the rest of the WUN site.

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Dave Holford August 18th 03 01:46 AM

GeorgeF wrote:

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

What is on 11.175 MHz USB ? (is USB correct for this freq. ?)
Mil of some sort ?

Keep getting bursts of "noise" periodically every 5 seconds or so.
Very occasionally, a voice which I can't make out.

Live 25 mi due W of Boston.
Should I be picking anything up here ?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
Go here and you'll learn a bit about what you're hearing on that freq as
well as other freqs used by the same system:
http://www.milaircomms.com/ghfs.html

You will find this is somewhat out-of-date. Note the copyright date is
2001.

GHFS is no more - the WUN site will give you the current data.

http://www.wunclub.com/newsletter/v09/n07/mla.html

Dave

N8KDV August 18th 03 02:51 PM

GeorgeF wrote:

You will find this is somewhat out-of-date. Note the copyright date is
2001.

GHFS is no more - the WUN site will give you the current data.

http://www.wunclub.com/newsletter/v09/n07/mla.html

The name has changed however for the most part the frequencies, call
signs, descriptions are correct.

Howeve beware the WUN newsletter is put together by one Larry VanHorn.

This is hardly a true statement George. I'm sure that you are aware that Larry
only handles a portion of the WUN Newsletter, and that a good part of the
material presented there is submitted by the contributors.

When I see that name attached to anything I now take it with a grain of
salt. Why you may ask? Here's why:

1) Recently the magazine he's involved with published over 4 pages of
Florida State Astro freqs. NONE of which were useful as they were
incorrect. Dummy me bought an issue and should request a refund as that
was the only reason I bought the issue.

2) The NASA Trunking system list he and his group published were incorrect
for over a year. I see he's finally fixed them after I've been calling
everyones attention to it for several months.

3) The Military Trunking frequencies he and his group published for the
MacDill AFB are silent, I'll bet they're incorrect as well.

4) Descriptions/Labels he used for various frequencies in FL are
incorrect and in some cases missleading.

The above are just want I was looking at and able to confirm. Just one
state out of 50, I'm sure Florida isn't the only state he has published
incorrect infomation for.

Now lets see how fast I get more hate mail from the F.O.G. group.
(Friends of Grove - membership = 3).

I run my website for one thing and one thing only. To help others in
the hobby. I do not charge for the info, I give it away for free.
However Grove will charge you $30-$40 for a CD which contains over 80%
out dated PDF files he downloaded from Gov't sites. Files which are
available to the public for free and are NOT copyrightable. Again, I
run my website (www.MilAirComms.com) to help others gain information,
frequencies, and help in the fine hobby of MilAir monitoring. I guess I
got sick and tired of asking questions which went unanswered by the so
called experts. I was tired of newbee's trying to get into the hobby
who asked questions only to be receive snid comments from the F.O.G group.

So if you like the website that is great. If you don't like the website
that is no skin off my ass either. I know that by the 100's of emails I
receive weekly from the website that there are a lot of people who are
being helped by it. And with an average of 3,000 UNIQUE visitors (ie:
different IP addresss, not file hits) daily is yet another indicator
that there's a more than a few people who like it. Not too bad
considering everything time one of the F.O.G. guys gets a chance he'll
make derogotory comments and in several cases out right lies (backed up
the MilCom archives themselves!) about me or the site.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

GeorgeF August 18th 03 05:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up George. I was about to order the CD from Grove
since I am still haveing problems trying to get milair freqs for my part
of Ohio.

Dwayne,
Go to my website and use the email link there to send me a private
email. I'll send you some frequency information I just received for
your area.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

GeorgeF August 19th 03 05:03 AM

.. Your posts here
prove you are green as hell, but 99% of the mil monitors are way to polite
to call your BS here and risk more NG floods.

Oh I love the "green" comment. Well we all would be better informed if
some of the old guys would help the younger ones when the younger ones
ask. ****, There are 5 new guys in Central Florida that were totally
snubbed by the self proclaimed Florida MilAir expert when they kindly
asked for help.

Its so funny that you bitch and complain about the content on my site
but I don't see you lifting finger to help new guys. Where's your
website or contribution to the hobby.

And the Flooding comment still has me rolling on the floor. Prove it.
Here's where I can almost prove a negative. If it were me my ISP would
have canned by account long ago forceing me to keep getting new ISP's.
If you notice my IP address has been a Bell South IP address for
nearly 3 years.....

Plus 'Edna' at least I use my real name and address on the groups,
nothing here to hide.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

[email protected] August 19th 03 10:24 AM

Well Robert I see that with all the ranting your question has NOT been
answered.

These people sure know how to slide of the subject topic when they don't
know the answer.

11175 is the US Air Force transmitting from Andrews AF Base outside
Washington D.C.