RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna amplifier question (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34326-antenna-amplifier-question.html)

sogs September 12th 03 12:46 AM

Antenna amplifier question

Why wouldn't I want to do this?
I would like to purchase an amplifier for my scanner antenna. I saw a
cable tv amplifier with 10db gain for the frequencies 10 - 900 mhz.
Why wouldn't this work; or would it?
Remove the "123" in my address to reply by email!

GrtPmpkin32 September 12th 03 01:07 AM

Why wouldn't I want to do this?

Possible reasons would include having enough intermod/bleed/noise on your
scanner as it is BEFORE adding the amplifier, in which case the amp would only
make it a lot worse. Also, if you have some noise but not much, but the amp
will boost signals below 30 MHz, you may find some added interference from
signals in that region.
IF it boosts FM freq's as well, you have that to deal with.
That said, though, if you already have a fairly clean system and just want a
bit of a kicker in receiving fringe stations, etc., there's no reason it
shouldn't improve things overall.
Just make sure you place it AT the antenna, not at the scanner... you want to
boost as much signal as you can BEFORE the noise added along the feedline, etc.
Good luck-
Linus

GeorgeF September 12th 03 01:42 AM

sogs wrote:
Why wouldn't I want to do this?
I would like to purchase an amplifier for my scanner antenna. I saw a
cable tv amplifier with 10db gain for the frequencies 10 - 900 mhz.
Why wouldn't this work; or would it?
Remove the "123" in my address to reply by email!

It will work, if you go he
http://www.milaircomms.com/antenna_m...amplifier.html you'll see an
article I wrote about my experiences about using a TV amp. In the
article I used an Antenna mounted amp.

I've also used a wideband amp for receiving Military Satellites in the
260 MHz range. You can see this at:
http://www.milaircomms.com/shack.html just scroll down until you see my
Handheld and homemade 5 element Yagi.

In short if you do it rigth it will work wonders. If you add it and
start picking up FM Overload and Intermod you might want to invest in
some filters. Depending on what I want to hear and the direction I aim
my beam I will have some problems. However once I insert my Hi Pass
Stridsberg Filter 99% of my problems go away. The HiPass filter I'm
using will block signals below 225 MHz. Since 99% of my listening is
MilAir this is perfect.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

sogs September 12th 03 04:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I enjoyed your article. I noticed you use a
Scantenna. How do you like it? Any pluses or minuses you could give
me?

GeorgeF September 12th 03 04:30 AM

sogs wrote:
Thanks for the info. I enjoyed your article. I noticed you use a
Scantenna. How do you like it? Any pluses or minuses you could give
me?

I love my ScanTenna. In fact using a combination of two Stridesburg
Amplified Multicouplers (seen he
http://www.milaircomms.com/review_st...rg_mca204.html) it drives 11
of the 19 scanners in the shack.

I can't think of any minuses at all. It is a non-dirctional antenna, so
if you have interference in the area you can NOT null it out by rotating
the ant in a different direction. Because of that I don't use a pre-amp
on the ScanTenna. However I've had many non-directional antenna
including $110 discones. The ScanTenna puts any discone to shame...

About the only think I've found that is better than the ScanTenna would
be beams such as the ScannerBeam or the Create Log P.

you might want to try a ScannerBeam (found at
http://www.AntennaWarehouse.com) to receive that one signal you're
trying to get. You might have better luck doing that, and if that still
doesn't work then add a pre-amp to the ScannerBeam. If you try to add
a pre-amp to a non-directional antenna you'll increase your chances at
picking up FM overload and other interference related problems. Not
saying it won't work but saying your chances will be better with a beam.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

sogs September 12th 03 08:01 PM

What's the difference between an amplified multicoupler and an
amplifier?

GeorgeF September 12th 03 08:07 PM

sogs wrote:
What's the difference between an amplified multicoupler and an
amplifier?

The amplified Multicoupler only has a 4 dB amp, just enought to overcome
the looses of the multicoulper itself. You can buy an un-amplified
multicoupler however each scanner connected would experience a 3dB loose
in signal.

A pre-amp is an amplified designed to actually increase signal, usually
10 dB - 30 dB.

George
http://www.MilAircomms.com

S-Meter September 12th 03 09:12 PM

FWIW, if you can get you antenna higher, that might help. If the signal
flying is heading for outer space, you won't hear it any better with an
amplifier. If getting the antenna a few feet higher will help, it might be
worth a shot. Just use high quality coax to minimise loss.

john wilson January 23rd 04 10:11 PM

Mainly because the noise factor is too high, the frequency range too
broad and the initial amplification would not be at the antenna but at
the other end of the coax. Signal losses occur from the antenna to the
amplifier. Bad idea.