RadioBanter

-   -   APPALLED AT THE EL DORADO,CALIF. SHERIFF DEPT (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34679-appalled-el-dorado-calif-sheriff-dept.html)

SEARCH & RESCUE EL DORADO November 4th 03 04:51 AM

APPALLED AT THE EL DORADO,CALIF. SHERIFF DEPT

APPALLED AT THE EL DORADO,CALIF. SHERIFF DEPT

THE SEARCH PARTY CONSISTED OF ONE DEPUTY SHERIFF.
I WAS ABSOLUTLY APPALLED AT THE LACK
OF AN ORGANIZED SEARCH PARTY BY THE EL DORADO,CALIF. SHERIFF DEPT.

AFTER DINNER I ATTENDED A PORTION OF A MEETING WITH THE SHERIFF
AND MEMBERS OF HIS STAFF.THE TONE OF THE MEETING WAS OPEN HOSTILITY
ON THE PART OF THE SHERIFF. THE MEMBERS OF THE PARTY WERE TRYING TO
PLEAD AND REASON WITH THE SHERIFF AND 2 WE NEEDED MASSIVE ORGANIZED
AID TO FIND ONE PERSON BEFORE IT WAS TO LATE.
FINALLY AFTER 2 HOURS OR SO OF PLEADING AND ARGUING, THE SHERIFF
BEGAN TO CHANGE HIS TONE AND AGREE TO GET FOREST CREWS AND A HELICOPTER
BACK IN.THE SHERIFF SET UP A BRIEFING FOR 1130AM. THURSDAY MORNING.
STARING A MEETING AT THIS LATE HOUR WOULD PRECLUDE ARRIVAL IN THE CANYON
TO START SEARCHING MUCH BRFORE 3PM.

he apparently had been living on guts and adreneline for
a long time, because once he was safe and comfortable,he collapsed.
we planned to wait where we were for the 1pm. rendezvous. periodicically
we threw leaves and green boughs on the signal fire hoping to attract
attention, disappointed that there was no helicopter.(the first
helicopter flight wasobserved at 1230pm. but he was never close enough
overhead to see our fire). at 115pm. we decided that we'd better wait
no longer and should start to walk out. we tried to carry HIM OUT, but
this proved impossible due to the roughness of terrain. 1 stayed
with HIM and I started out for help. 1/2 mile downstream i ran into a
party of 4 and started making a stretcher and 2 of the party of 4 out
to get help in the form of growlersberg equip. and crew and to try to get
radio contact with sheriff's dept.(walkie-talkies the 3 people from
the forest service had were no good.(the sheriff would only give us 3
people to search for roger .(because the sheriff said the whole thing
was a joke. if you call someone who is lost deep,in the forest for 7 days
a joke thats funny.)but after a veryrough walk to the the top of the canyon.
helicopter with a winch was call in from the air force and lifted HIM OUT
out of the canyon in the gloom of dusk. my prime impression of the operation
is the in explicable reluctance to act and even lack of interest displayed by
sheriff. he had to be pushed and badgered to do anything, and
that was always too little. I've always thought that i read in the
paper about someone being missing,"they" a great efficient rescue
organization, took over and called in necessary men and equipment.this
case, there was no "they". HE was saved by dedicated and persistent
family and friends.

WilleeCue November 4th 03 01:58 PM

Is he not an ELECTED official?
You should know what to do come next election time or better yet start a
recall.

William Lee

ff-paramedic November 7th 03 02:05 AM

I live in the area and never even heard about this.