Old November 12th 03, 10:52 AM
Bob

Default Scanner Setup Help Please?

I'm new to scanning and a little confused about how to setup "searches"
of various frequency ranges.

For instance, rather than enter all the CB channel frequencies into
memories I *thought* it would be much easier to simply search through the
CB band in increments equal to channels. So, I programmed 26.965 (ch1)
and 27.405 (ch40) as scan edges into my radio along with a step size of
25 kHz. So far so good... However starting the search resulted in the
radio moving through the band by frequency stops that were "off" from the
actual CB channels???

So what am I doing wrong?

Also, in the specific case of CB I know (or at least can calculate) the
step size between active frequencies. How do I determine that information
for other bands or frequency ranges? And am I going to have the same step
problems?

My radio has a programmable step size with a minimum of 0.5 kHz
resolution. Can someone please teach me how to setup searches? Or maybe
direct me to a webSite or book that would help?

Thanx,
Bob
Old November 12th 03, 12:44 PM
Matt

Firstly, the channel steps on 27 MHz CB are 10 KHz, not 25 KHz with a couple
of frequencies missed out (i.e. 27.195 MHz and about 3-4 others). Not sure
what mode you are using, would recommend AM and not FM.
As to other bands, experience will tell you what to use for channel spacing,
it varies with different bands, and different countries.

. 14...

Old November 12th 03, 04:34 PM
Jonathan Clough, Javiation, Bradford, UK (http://w

In article , Bob
writes

I'm new to scanning and a little confused about how to setup "searches"
of various frequency ranges.

For instance, rather than enter all the CB channel frequencies into
memories I *thought* it would be much easier to simply search through the
CB band in increments equal to channels. So, I programmed 26.965 (ch1)
and 27.405 (ch40) as scan edges into my radio along with a step size of
25 kHz. So far so good... However starting the search resulted in the
radio moving through the band by frequency stops that were "off" from the
actual CB channels???

So what am I doing wrong?

The US CB Channels are at 10kHz spaced channels - 26.965, 26.975 and so
on.

26.965Mhz is not a frequency that is divisible by 25 (25kHz) as you were
using however you really need to be using 10kHz tuning steps as your
chosen step size but depending which model you have this may still not
work correctly as 26.965 is not a frequency that is divisible by 10
either. In other words the frequency you enter has to be divisible by
your chosen step size.

With 10Khz tuning steps it would perhaps go 26.970, 26.980, 26.990 and
so on.

Some models though such as the AOR AR8200 and Yupiteru MVT-9000 for
example will allow you to "Offset" the frequency and step size so that
it will search the chosen frequencies as you want in your example above.

If this isn't possible on the model you have then you would have to use
something like 5kHz steps starting at 26.965 and going 26.970, 26.975,
26.980, 26.985 and so on so.

--
Cheers,
JC
Old November 13th 03, 03:10 AM
michael agner

People can be a great deal more helpful if you told us the make/model
of the scanner you're using. Yahoo has numerous groups devoted to
scanners, and it's likely you can get more help there, apart from the
explanation Jonathan gave you.
73s and GL...Mike

Old November 13th 03, 07:34 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Those frequencies that are "missed out" are some of the "radio control"
frequencies somewhat still used by model aircraft and other model remote
control items. You are correct in the 10khz step making it a better scan
though.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that
person to use The Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

"Matt" wrote in message
Firstly, the channel steps on 27 MHz CB are 10 KHz, not 25 KHz with a

couple
of frequencies missed out (i.e. 27.195 MHz and about 3-4 others). Not

sure
what mode you are using, would recommend AM and not FM.
As to other bands, experience will tell you what to use for channel

spacing,
it varies with different bands, and different countries.

. 14...

Old November 13th 03, 10:59 AM
Bob

Thanx everyone for the feedback. As was pointed out, I did mispeak when I
indicated a 25 kHz step size for the CB band.

In any case, the problem remains and appears to be that any frequency
bounds for a search need to be divisable by the step size selected.
Otherwise the radio will "adjust" the frequencies it stops at throughout
the range of searching and possibly completely miss intended targets.

This would seem to me a significant problem??? Staying with the CB band
example. Given Jonathan's explanation of the workaround my search is
essentially doubled by causing the scanner to stop on intermediate freqs
that are essentially not used. Waste of search time and in the case of
stronger signals the radio may stop off optimal tune.

My radio is an ICOM-8500.

Thanx again,
Bob

Bob wrote in
. 14:

Old November 13th 03, 05:33 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
[...]

Scanning CB is usually a pointless thing to do, the carriers and just
plain old noise will make the scan stop constantly.

BDK
Old November 16th 03, 03:26 PM
Robert11

Hi,
Let me also please ask a question here that I too have wondered about. Am
new at this.

a. Is it the total frequency that has to be divisible, evenly, by the step
size?

e.g. 26.970, rather than just the part after the decimal point (e.g.
..970) ?

b. Also: where does the incrementing of the step start from ?

Is it the beginning of the search range you set, or is it some othere
criteria ?

If you don't enter a range, but just frequencies in a Bank, but do
have Step-Sizes entered, what happens now ?
Are they still used ? How ?

Thanks,
R.

. 14...

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Scanner FAQ... Jon Greenstein Scanner 2 October 2nd 03 03:55 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM
Scanner and FRS Radio RSK Scanner 3 September 17th 03 06:21 AM
Taking Back the Group - Scanner Listener Helps Bust the Bad Guy Taking Back the Group Scanner 0 July 22nd 03 01:29 AM