RadioBanter

-   -   Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34899-coax-signal-deteriotion-scanner.html)

Paul Keenleyside December 9th 03 06:05 AM

Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner

How is the signal from the antenna affected by how many connectors one has
on the coaxial cable from the antenna base to
the scanner unit? Consider, gentlemen, this layout:

Currently I have this configuration in my vehicle:

*

-X----------------X -- X-----------------------X ======

Where "X" is a BNC connector, "---" is the cable, "===" is the scanner and "
* " is the antenna. The reason why this was
made is that the scanner is under the dash and as luck would have it, a
customised coax cable had to be made to connect
the antenna to the cable that came with the scanner. They weren't gendered
properly, and I noticed quite a difference from
the scanner under the dash with the scanner that I have as a portable. The
portable is a BC2245XLT, the other a BC780XLT. The other thing is that the
coax to the BNC connector to the scanner has bent a bit badly, exposing
strands.

So how "bad" is the signal loss from the antenna to the scanner in this
configuration. It is bad, but would be curious to
lknow how "bad". It's noticably bad because despite a connected antenna on
the roof, I get better reception off the portable than the under dash
BC780XLT even on the same frequency range. Botht he BC245XLT and the 780XLT
are less than
a year old. I would like to use the 780XLT in the vehicle as it has the
alphanumeric display and 200 more channels in it,
plus I can run the vehicle's power to it.

I found the solution through a radio shop in Western Washington. I'm wanting
to get a 100Mhz to 200Mhz magnetic mount
and also keep my generic piggly wiggly celluar type antenna. The 100Mhz to
200Mhz will also come in handy as I'm thinking of going for the basic
amateur radio licence (in Canada) so that I can get in on using a VHF radio
set and get into ham radio.

Any antenna suggestions (one can always use another antenna). He's suggested
a Maxrad MHB5800 antenna.

Thanks!
PK

Ralph Mowery December 10th 03 12:33 AM

portable is a BC2245XLT, the other a BC780XLT. The other thing is that the
coax to the BNC connector to the scanner has bent a bit badly, exposing
strands.

You probably have messed up the coax so bad that is your problem. Several
connectors should not be noticable in most cases. Provided that they are
quality connectors.

Paul Keenleyside December 10th 03 03:39 AM

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
portable is a BC2245XLT, the other a BC780XLT. The other thing is that

the
coax to the BNC connector to the scanner has bent a bit badly, exposing
strands.

You probably have messed up the coax so bad that is your problem. Several
connectors should not be noticable in most cases. Provided that they are
quality connectors.

Yep, Time to replace.